Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goose Island Beer & United?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Maybe I missed this posted already...could it be true? An honest to goodness enhancement with a cool brand?

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...X&t=1403559157
Please be true. Please!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:16 am

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but 312 is brewed in New York and Colorado now. Still an improvement over what is currently served onboard.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Microbrewery or not, it's still a big step up.
Rumor has it that they plan to introduce "versions" of this beer in other markets where the area code is updated from 312 to the local area code without changing the product. Clever, huh?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Huge improvement - it's a shame they waited until it was not longer brewed in Chicago to start offering it

I'm flying my first United flight in forever next week at the tail-end of an award trip (in Y due to no F space too ) so I'll see if it's catered on the YYZ - IAD UAX flight as early as next week (assuming I'm still capable of drinking alcohol after my MUC - YYZ flight in F )
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
"Beer Upgrade" with beer experiencing a downgrade

It's funny and just a bit sad UA would pick Goose Island in order to upgrade its brand image.

Because at the same time, Goose Island, under its ownership by megaconglomerate AnheuserBuschInBev is experiencing a downgrade of its brand image, as it gets overproduced and overdistributed.

Now, only about 15% of the "312" beer is actually manufactured in the Goose Island (Chicago) brewery; the rest comes from two Budweiser factories in Fort Collins, Colorado and Baldwinsville, NY. 75% of Honkers is still produced in Chicago and about 40% of the IPA. The premium end (Matilda, the lovely Lolita and the like) is still produced at the source, and have not suffered any quality issues.

I have nothing against Goose Island for selling out -- after all the owners got $38 million (good for them!!), the brand got national distribution, the employees got better pay and higher safety, and their parent company relationship gives them access to any malt and any hops in the world which previously might have been a challenge. And Goose Island is still a proper (and better than average) "craft" brewery and has not become a complete fake front for a macrobrewery (such as Blue Moon, Shock Top or Redd's). However, to the extent that one is intrigued by artisanally produced, regional, family owned craft breweries, this is not one any more.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
I think if GI is onboard Beer will be off my list.
GI is a significant improvement over Bud Light and Heineken, imo, regardless of one's feelings on the "craft" status or perceived downgrade in quality relative to where GI started.

Not really a pale ale/bitter/IPA guy, so don't really care for Honkers by that criterion alone, but do enjoy the 312 wheat ale. Matilda is nice, as is the specially brewed Marisol, which can be had at Tortas Frontera in ORD.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by 318i
Confirmed... 312 on sUA planes, Shiner on sCO.
...So is this a joke then...?

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Microbrewery or not, it's still a big step up.
Rumor has it that they plan to introduce "versions" of this beer in other markets where the area code is updated from 312 to the local area code without changing the product. Clever, huh?
And I think they are going to have problems with that. There are quite a few beers that are named after their area code already. 512 Brewing in Austin comes to mind.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Waiting for the other chips to fall....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I welcome the addition of a great beer like this. However 7 beers being stocked seems awful silly. Also I haven't seen these beers in cans ever so I don't know how UA is going to stock bottles (or perhaps they are going to start now)
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
I welcome the addition of a great beer like this. However 7 beers being stocked seems awful silly. Also I haven't seen these beers in cans ever so I don't know how UA is going to stock bottles (or perhaps they are going to start now)
They make them in cans (at least I know for a fact 312 is in cans) - pretty much a direct result of the sale to Anheuser Busch (Magic Hat, my go to, also is available these days in a can which happened after it got sold to FIFCO a couple years ago)
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
They make them in cans (at least I know for a fact 312 is in cans) - pretty much a direct result of the sale to Anheuser Busch (Magic Hat, my go to, also is available these days in a can which happened after it got sold to FIFCO a couple years ago)
Sam Adams makes cans, too, though they're still independent.

That got them back on to JetBlue flights after an absence directly attributed to lack of cans.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Cans are all the rage among the fancy beer people.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Goose Island will not make any money

My guess is United is giving them exosurer in exchange for a price less than it cost them to produce it.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, other ones I don't use often
Originally Posted by bpratt
Hey, Anchor is still fully independent and small compared to Budweiser, InBev, etc. It remains one of the best uses of inherited money (Maytag appliance fortune) around even if it's outgrown the "micro-" brewery label.

Bob
Not owned by Fritz Maytag anymore though, he sold it to the former owners of Skyy Vodka (who sold that off before) a few years ago. Or at least the investment group headed by them based near SF. Still, more or less independent (in that it's not owned by one of the giant brewers).

http://www.inc.com/news/articles/201...y-griffin.html

And whether or not GI is owned by InBev, this is still a big improvement. Finally might get beer on a UA flight.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
...So is this a joke then...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.