Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partial UA system meltdown at EWR evening of 21 Jun; delays for some EU-bound flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partial UA system meltdown at EWR evening of 21 Jun; delays for some EU-bound flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
So are you saying this was self induced?
No but you can bet Smisek will be quick to call it out as a potential "reason" if (when) q2 earnings are in the toilet.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by zoegksf
Didn't Smisek say this wouldn't happen again?
The video says Continental is a "partner" with United. I wish it was 4 years ago
Maybe Jeff's favorite movies is "Groundhog Day"? ;-) and yes, I also wish it was 4 years ago, too
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Compensation for impacted travelers??

Spent that last 3 hours getting my son out of this mess. Odd that there is nothing on the UA web site about any of this. My son said they told him it was due to weather. I was on the cell phone with him and heard the agent say exactly that.

He was unable to make it to his destination in AVP, flying instead to EWR and taking a ride of some sort (tbd).

So, will United provide any compensation for failure to get him to the correct airport?? It was not his choice, since there were no AVP flights until mid day tomorrow.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
SFO has been down for hours. Complete computer outage - no checkin, no baggage check, no boarding passes issued.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/sfo-...s-lines/vDFPf/
Given that it was the 10pm news and its not yet 10pm in SFO, I'd say this is footage from 4 years ago..
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by JerryFF
SFO has been down for hours. Complete computer outage - no checkin, no baggage check, no boarding passes issued.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/sfo-...s-lines/vDFPf/
---------------------
At the end of this news report (video) the reporter says (twice) that Continental's computers were also down. Does she not know that United and Continental merged over three years ago and that the ONLY name of this airline is United ? Good grief.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Given that it was the 10pm news and its not yet 10pm in SFO, I'd say this is footage from 4 years ago..
Funny, this was exactly my thought. But the livery was current and the people reporting were current people (some new since last year). Odd. Very sloppy reporting if this is current!!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
Funny, this was exactly my thought. But the livery was current and the people reporting were current people (some new since last year). Odd. Very sloppy reporting if this is current!!
Agreed. But if I recall correctly, Frank Somerville and Gasia Mikaelian are the weeknight newscasters. They wouldn't normally be in the studio for the Saturday news.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Flew Boston to Dulles tonight on a SDC originally scheduled for tomorrow. Shares was acting crazy all afternoon telling me economy and first were both full but showing me a relatively empty seat map and letting me get myself a seat.

Flight was delayed 45 minutes due to computer issues but it was a mess at Dulles with many delayed flights. Weather was great at both Boston and IAD. Weird night.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
It's not weather. UA changes everything to weather. It will not surprise me if you see some sort of massive fine for UA in the next 6 months or so for falsifying the reason for delays and cancelations. They do it all the time
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
It's not weather. UA changes everything to weather. It will not surprise me if you see some sort of massive fine for UA in the next 6 months or so for falsifying the reason for delays and cancelations. They do it all the time
Yep, file a DOT complaint.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:03 pm

I just got off the phone with United. I asked if they they could put my son up at EWR overnight so that he would not have to drive himself to AVP while so tired. They refused. They continue to claim weather caused his original ORD-AVP flight to be cancelled, and that they can only get him to EWR and he must find his way from there on his own dime.

If he gets into an accident after being forced to drive himself, on his own dime, to his originally paid for destination, I am going to tear into UA. They really just do not care at all.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Speaking of 4 Years Ago...Another Meltdown

Actually, 3 years and 4 days ago...pre-integration, so no blaming SHARES for
it. A non-change we don't like??

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...perations.html
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by blueman2
I just got off the phone with United. I asked if they they could put my son up at EWR overnight so that he would not have to drive himself to AVP while so tired. They refused. They continue to claim weather caused his original ORD-AVP flight to be cancelled, and that they can only get him to EWR and he must find his way from there on his own dime.

If he gets into an accident after being forced to drive himself, on his own dime, to his originally paid for destination, I am going to tear into UA. They really just do not care at all.
Unfortunately there was some serious thunderstorm activity around Chicago today that gives them an excuse, though probably not the reason his flight was cancelled.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:55 pm

Now being picked up by all the media outlets. UA still has not said anything on their web site. They continue to blame weather, not the computer, for any delays or cancellations today at EWR and ORD. Apparently, the computer outage did not have any impact on ORD or EWR. Hmmm.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Continental
They always blame the weather so they don't have to give compensation.

Last edited by hockey7711; Jun 21, 2014 at 11:05 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.