Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do upgrade fees offerered by United vary by fare class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: MP

Does anyone know if upgrade fees United might offer to a traveler depend on the fare class the original ticket is booked into?

Say, one traveler books more expensive Q fare and another books cheaper S fare. When they both go to check-in and are offered to be upgarded to F (for a fee), will the system reconize that the first customer paid more for his/her economy ticket and wil offer lower price to upgarde to F? if yes, how much lower? Any folks with real-life examples on the difference?

Wuold it make any difference if the upgrade is with miles?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
The paid price is usually the difference between the fare the person checking-in bought and the lowest UP fare. So theoretically, yes, the person with the cheaper fare should have to pay more. Theoretically.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:36 am

No apples to apples comparison, but I definitely notice the difference. Flying a cheap $150 OW ticket cross country, the upgrade option at check-in was over $1000 with a few seats open. Meanwhile, on an M fare I've seen (and went for) $59 upgrades to a domestic lie-flat seat while sitting way, way down the CPU list with only a few seats left.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
You can check out this existing thread for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

Also, yes, different fare classes require different mileage and co-pay amounts depending on the itinerary.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e-pricing.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.