Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:51 am

The criticism directed toward OP is absurd, as it amounts to nothing more than: "you should have been prepared for the UA agent to be dead wrong on a topic where they should be an expert." It's pathetic that UA has trained some of you to view their conduct in this case as an acceptable business practice.

Aaron's silence is befuddling.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What disturbs me more than anything about this story and others like it is how little some agents seem to think through the fact that they're making a decision that will completely ruin someone's week. Top read these accounts, it's sometimes as if the agent thinks they're making some minor decision, like declining to give someone a free E+ seat. "Sorry sir, you can't go on your long, well-planned overseas vacation, please step aside and go home. Whomp whomp." If you're gonna do that to someone, you better be really, really, really sure that you're right.
To some extent, we probably all get desensitized in our jobs. That doesn't make it right.

I agree with you completely, and would add that for every one of these we read, there are probably 10 more cases we never hear about. I can just imagine my mother in this situation, who is not assertive and has a generational respect for anyone that seems to be an authority, and who would never ever read or post on an internet forum. Or my Dad who is a million miler on DL and would fight until he got an acceptable solution, but would never ever post on an Internet forum.

And all the focus here on what the OP could have done better is ridiculous. This was not a run of the mill business trip like many of us do without thinking. This was likely a once in a lifetime trip that was ruined. Everyone needs to put themselves in that situation, knowing they were adequately prepared, and then re-write their posts.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Final note: it's not stated what country the OP's passport was from.

If it's the Philippines, I'd consider the possibility that this might be discriminatory behavior on the part of the UA agents.

It is PHX after all..not a place known for friendliness to immigrants.
Most of us are indeed probably assuming that OP has a US passport. I suspect that a holder of a Philippines passport probably wouldn't consider a trip to the philippines as a once in a lifetime trip.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:01 am

Cue the typical FT response

Originally Posted by enviroian
x1000. Sorry, you weren't prepared.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP said that the travel agent told them that visas weren't needed. I interpreted this to imply that they had either personal contact with a bricks and mortar travel agent or phone contact with an agent at a travel agency such as AmEx. However, the routing and region do suggest consolidator tickets so that one could not expect much customer service from the travel agent. Even so, a phone call to the travel agent should have been possible in time for the OP to catch some flight to SFO to make the TPAC flight.
Correct the OP did speak with the TA, and even consolidators know when and where to the most part that a Visa will be needed

But @ 5am in PHX if the TA was US based I wouldnt expect to reach them even , and depending where if in the US the TA is will determine what time you can reach someone that will be able to do anything. If the TA was MNL based they probably closed up for the night But if the TA was PHX based, then they wouldnt speak to them till 9am+ at best = not being able to get to SFO in time

But Im very like you why the OP didnt get in contact with their TA once they got home as they had plenty of time to still get them to SFO in time for the PEK flight or to find some other routes

* personally Im not saying the OP was at fault, and believe UA blew it. Just that the OP had options that it seems they didnt explore and it seems resided to the fact they werent going to end up in Cebu, when there were still options that could have been used, even for a non-Elite I dont understand why they simply gave up w/o trying anything and everything

Last edited by craz; Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 am
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fastair
Didn't someone recently say at the BoD meeting something along the lines of "UA agents weren't adequately trained"?
They did ineed But how hard is it to read Timatic? Or to call someone who knows what they're doing? (Those are rhetorical questions, btw.)

This is more of an attitude problem than a training issue.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the passenger held a US passport then the agents were simply 100% wrong and UA should compensate them. If the passenger held a passport from the Philippines then the agents were 100% right and there is no compensation due.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by Daveyb101
Most of us are indeed probably assuming that OP has a US passport. I suspect that a holder of a Philippines passport probably wouldn't consider a trip to the philippines as a once in a lifetime trip.
They could be green card holders who don't have the means for frequent international travel. If the OP was brought over when he was, say, two years old, it could very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity. But I take your point.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If the passenger held a US passport then the agents were simply 100% wrong and UA should compensate them. If the passenger held a passport from the Philippines then the agents were 100% right and there is no compensation due.
Not true, TWOV in China is not nationality restricted.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
What? Passengers with passports from The Philippines and virtually any other country can use China's 24 hour TWOV. Regardless of the passport, assuming that all passengers held valid passports with enough time before expiration, the UA agent was wrong.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
They did ineed But how hard is it to read Timatic? Or to call someone who knows what they're doing? (Those are rhetorical questions, btw.)

This is more of an attitude problem than a training issue.
The training is not in reading Timatic, but in accepting proofs other than what is shown in UA computer. If this is a CA ticketed itinerary, say PHX-SFO-PEK-MNL-PEK-SFO/LAX-PHX, where PHX-SFO is the only segment on UA, it is likely that the UA record locator only shows the itinerary as PHX-SFO-PEK (a one-way trip to Beijing). The agent should accept the paper itinerary which shows the final destination is really Manila. This may need an override and notation on the UA record locator to proceed with the check-in process.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Yes you did, you said everybody should have a visa, whether transiting for an hour or staying for ten years.
No, I said this is a PHILOSOPHY: you should consider yourself as needing one in any situation with certain exceptions. Obviously my point didn't make it across to some.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by malgudi
Cue the typical FT response
Again, I didn't say it was her fault I said she wasn't prepared. I know United was in the wrong. Sorry if I was planning this huge trip with all these family members traveling and had all these important time sensitive events to go with I would cover my a$$ big time. I would never rely on United or anyone else for that matter to know everything.

The bottom line is if she had supporting visa documentation she could possibly have been on her trip right now.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by enviroian
Again, I didn't say it was her fault I said she wasn't prepared. I know United was in the wrong. Sorry if I was planning this huge trip with all these family members traveling and had all these important time sensitive events to go with I would cover my a$$ big time. I would never rely on United or anyone else for that matter to know everything.

The bottom line is if she had supporting visa documentation she could possibly have been on her trip right now.
As a very experienced traveler, I disagree.

I just spent probably 40 hours planning a 9 day trip to Europe going over all sorts of details. And I do have printouts of many key documents (airline reservations, hotel reservations, prepaid tickets). But I do NOT have a printout showing that, as a US citizen, I don't need a Visa to go to France (of course, I would if I was staying more than 90(?) days)). And I don't have a printout of the baggage rules showing that I am entitled to one free suitcase on my airline. And I don't have a printout showing that I don't need an International Drivers License in the countries where I am driving. And I don't have a printout showing that when I return with about $50 worth of stuff that I am within my duty free allowance. And I don't have a printout showing that, as a US Citizen, with a passport, I am allowed entry to the USA. And I don't have a printout showing that the $300 in cash that I will be carrying is below the $10,000 reporting limit.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS
I don't understand the fascination that certain posters have with even pointing out that had the OP been better prepared, this might not have happened. Everyone is agreeing that it's United's fault, and very few people think that anyone should be required to bring a printout of visa rules just in case.

Just because you would have been more forceful in preserving your trip against United's incompetence doesn't mean that should be the base expectation for all travelers. It's easy to be in a bubble here on Flyertalk and think all travelers should be as prepared for any contingency as you would, but come on already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.