Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Old Jun 18, 14, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This is not accurate. It's a limited list of countries which does not include the Phillipines.
You are indeed correct! Here is a list of the countries from the China Consulate's website:

Travelers from the 51 countries may apply for the 72-hour transit visa exemption, which are: 1) 25 Schengen countries in Europe: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherland, Poland, Portugal, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. 2) 12 other European countries: Russia, Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania ,Ukraine, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania. 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile. 4) 2 Oceanian countries: Australia and New Zealand. 5) 6 Asian countries: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar. The above 51 countries are chosen on the basis of the figures of foreign travelers’ entry, stopover and accommodations in Beijing and Shanghai in recent years.
Old Jun 18, 14, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
This is not accurate. It's a limited list of countries which does not include the Phillipines.
This reference suggest 51 countries are eligible (not just any one as some have suggested)
You must hold a passport of one of the 51 approved countries:

Twenty four European Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland;
Thirteen other European countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), and Albania;
Six American countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile;
Two Oceania countries: Australia, and New Zealand;
Six Asian countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
Air China mentions this is not universal

So without more info it is hard to tell what was the right action here.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Questions

What is the nationality of the passports?

How long was the transit on PEK? (I think it was sub-24 hrs, but just checking)

Was this all on a single ticket?
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you demonstrate any countries whose passport holders aren't eligible for TWOV in China?
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Can you demonstrate any countries whose passport holders aren't eligible for TWOV in China?
assume by now you have seen the previous posts that were easily found by google search.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post

Incidentally, ALL Asian Airlines KNOW exactly what it is. It is the US-Based airlines have UNTRAINED agents with extremely poor attitudes who have denied people boarding at the domestic airports that are not on both coasts... even now!
While airlines might know exactly what it is, you can never be sure that their front line employees do. I'm now sure how you reach the conclusion that Asian airline front line employees are more knowledgeable than their counterparts at US-based airlines in this regard. (I hear many more stories like the OP's pertaining to JL, NH, MH, TG, 5J, etc than I do AA/UA/DL, though this could possibly be explained by the vast difference in the number of passengers transported.)

Last edited by moondog; Jun 18, 14 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
In this case, dotting/crossing the Is/Ts is as simple as showing up with a passport (i.e. NOTHING else is required).
wasnt inferring anything else but this.OP did dot their I's and crossed their T's. Its UAs agent who didnt in this case.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:18 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWS (Plat Pro), EY Silver (compted), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's true for the new 72 hour TWOV program but not for China's old and ongoing 24 hour TWOV. [IIRC there was an intermediate step with a 48 hour TWOV program only for some passports too.] Virtually everyone, including the OP, is eligible for China's 24 hour TWOV. OP's scheduled transit time in China was approximately three hours so the 24 hour TWOV applied.

Details of these rules have been discussed authoritatively and extensively in threads devoted to this purpose in the China forum on FT.
Absolutely correct. All eligible for 24h visa, select for 72h visa. I was on 72h visa in late April (LAX-PEK-SYD) - they cleared me in 3 minutes - no questions asked - just had to show my itinerary. I was on 24h visa previously - it was more burdensome, but still perfectly doable for a 3 hour transit.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by sf4dfish View Post
You are indeed correct! Here is a list of the countries from the China Consulate's website:

Travelers from the 51 countries may apply for the 72-hour transit visa exemption, which are: 1) 25 Schengen countries in Europe: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherland, Poland, Portugal, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. 2) 12 other European countries: Russia, Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania ,Ukraine, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania. 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile. 4) 2 Oceanian countries: Australia and New Zealand. 5) 6 Asian countries: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar. The above 51 countries are chosen on the basis of the figures of foreign travelers’ entry, stopover and accommodations in Beijing and Shanghai in recent years.
I believe your post is about an entirely unrelated subject. As I understand the posts above there is a 24 hour transit for remaining within the airport, distinct from the 72 hour for actual entry to the country.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Moondog is correct, you are conflating the 48 hour waiver with transit. The OP was transit:

"1. Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries, final destination tickets and have booked seats, and stay in Shanghai for less than 48 hours : Republic of Korea, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland."

This is copied directly from the Chinese embassy (last updated 9/2008)
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

The Chinese have not updated that leaving the airport is now allowed in PEK (see my bold) but the tansit rules are not limited by country.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

assume by now you have seen the previous posts that were easily found by google search.
I've been on top of this issue for the past decade and the only time I can recall seeing an exclusion list during a 5 month period in 2008 that surrounded the Beijing Olympics. (72 hour TWOV is an entirely different matter, but that is not relevant to this thread.)
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
This just seems so easy for someone to have fixed on the spot. Had only an agent with a computer connected to the internet or a passenger with a smart phone attempted to google it...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=china+pek+transit+visa

The blame in this case is squarely with UA; however, as a passenger, I do make sure that I have personally researched the visa rules. I did TWOV in Shanghai for 72 hours 4 or 5 years ago. At that time it was fairly new, and I had to be slightly assertive with TG check in staff. Clearing immigration in PVG did actually take some time, require a phone call to the airline, and the involvement of a supervisor. It was a bit nerve-wracking in the moment, so I was quite glad that I had researched the rules in full detail.

Just to be clear, I agree that this is 100% UA's fault. This is, however, yet another reminder that passport/visa rules is something passengers should personally verify. There are plenty of stories of passengers being denied boarding…especially with things like cruises. That case is usually the opposite one, where a cruise line or travel agent told them they don't need a passport when they actually do.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:31 pm

The customer is wrong only in the minds of the UA apologists. Witness the bizarre comments on this thread for not showing up "prepared", "with a printout" etc.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
Exactly - again it's beyond me why this would be the OP's responsibility. In no other service industry is the burden on the customer if things go wrong because of an ill-informed employee. Only in the airline industry is it the customer's fault for not correctly identifying that the company employee was wrong
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:33 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
If you read the thread you will will see this relates to the 72 hour visa waiver when you LEAVE THE AIRPORT. OP was transeting PEK, which is a different situation, and does not require any visa. I posted the link from the Chinese Embassy in DC (which is out of date but clear). If you want another one here is what the SF consulate says:

"A foreign citizen can enter China without a visa under any one of the following circumstances:

1) Direct Transit

A foreign citizen who is transiting through China by air is exempted from a visa if he/she will stay only in the airport for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an international flight.

Citizens with passport or other international travel document, confirmed interline ticket and valid visa to the third country or region (if required) of the following 51 countries , can apply to stay in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong Province and Chengdu without visa for 72 hours on direct transit via Beijing Capital Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport, Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, and Chengdu Shuangliu Airport :

Albania, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States." 

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/lszj/zgqz/

The poster you are citing just clipped the first (bolded part) which is what applies to the OP from their post. The desire of some folks to defend the undefensible by UAL is just mind blowing. Up is down, right is wrong, Jeff and his airline are flawless, its always the passengers fault.

The only thing I can say is the ongoing head in the sand, Jeff is "savvy", its the passenger's fault, view of the defenders is mirrored by Management, and its sinking United.

But hey, say the OP should have pulled out their smart phone, found the Chinese Government site, and talked the agent into accepting that. That is a good line! Whew, always the passengers fault...
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by GBman View Post
The contrast with the speed of UA Insider's posting in response to FTers' comments on UA losing Rory McIlroy's golf clubs is disappointing.
Perhaps he can't respond once the L (lawsuit) word is mentioned... @:-)
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
Moondog is correct, you are conflating the 48 hour waiver with transit. The OP was transit:

"1. Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

2. Visas are not required of passport holders of the following countries, who transit through Pudong Airport or Hongqiao Airport of Shanghai, provided they hold valid passports, visas for the onward countries<snip>

This is copied directly from the Chinese embassy (last updated 9/2008)
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

The Chinese have not updated that leaving the airport is now allowed in PEK (see my bold) but the tansit rules are not limited by country.
At the risk of getting off topic, the 48 hour visa waiver program, which was launched in Shanghai circa 2002, was replaced by 72 hour TWOV in 2012, and includes a growing list of eligible cities, but shorter list of eligible passports. (The link you pulled is from 2008, and things change fast over here.)

Basic (24 hour) TWOV hasn't changed in a material way since its inception. The one exception that comes to mind is the removal of the "without leaving the airport" clause, but this was rarely enforced in the first place. In fact, when the policy was first launched, it was impossible to transit in any Chinese airports without "leaving" them. This is still largely the case today.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: