Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Routes: IAH-SCL, IAH-PUJ, and ORD-BZE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes: IAH-SCL, IAH-PUJ, and ORD-BZE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
One wonders if the recent visa waiver has anything to do with this. Visa / reciprocity fee non needed for Chile, for US Citizens at least.
Really? That's good news.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One wonders if the recent visa waiver has anything to do with this. Visa / reciprocity fee non needed for Chile, for US Citizens at least.

From a corporate communication standpoint, well executed . This is meant to deflect the recent spat of bad news with a positive, and is UA's answer to AA's expansion in Asia, ( HKG) route started a few days ago.

However, the fundamentals of what UNITED is today, remain.
At one time, U.S. citizens had to pay a $100 reciprocity fee on landing (except for in transit), good for life of passport, but I think that ended.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fastair
Long time to be on a 737.
Were you hoping for an RJ?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
At one time, U.S. citizens had to pay a $100 reciprocity fee on landing (except for in transit), good for life of passport, but I think that ended.
There is no longer a reciprocity fee for US passport holders in Chile. It remains for other countries, including, I believe, the UK.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Does this timing save having an extra crew in EZE/SCL/etc.?
no, its so you can have 2 'redeye' flights without much time change.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Yeah sitting for a long time.

Years ago, this flight was operated from ORD-SCL, by pmUA.

One wonders if they will keep this route ( long term) given the current state of UNITED.

I can count the number of false starts

IAD-DXB-DOH ( DXB-DOH) gone
IAD-ACC-LOS (all gone) LOS replaced with IAH-LOS
IAD-EZE gone
IAD-DME gone
EWR-IST gone
EWR-EZE gone
NRT-BKK (smisek'd)
IAD-GRU-GIG (GRU-GIG gone), so now one has to trek to Houston to go to GIG from the east coast

I can see Belize and Punta Cana staying, presumably operated by 737-900ER or the like.
Any of those short-haul tags are major money losers unless you're backed by guaranteed F and J traffic. So trimming DXB-DOH, SYD-MEL, and GRU-GIG all makes sense.

IAH-LOS is way superior to IAD-ACC-LOS due to oil traffic, BKK/IST is going through political unrest, while Argentina is trying hard to become the next Venezuela.

It sucks to see routes cancelled, but I'd much prefer a management that runs on numbers than running on pride (the current mgmt is a bit too much on the numbers though)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 787fan
BKK/IST is going through political unrest,
exactly what "unrest" was happening when UA axed BKK and IST?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:51 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
It is great to see IAH-SCL added as a new UA route. The international network of United makes it a truly global airline.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
exactly what "unrest" was happening when UA axed BKK and IST?
Taksim Square protests began 28 May 2013, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2...ests_in_Turkey .

Announcement of EWR-IST discontinuation: July 2013 (route ended effective October 2013).

Thai political unrest began 31 October 2013, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2...litical_crisis .

Bangkok service elimination: announced November 2013 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-now-gone.html ).
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:33 pm

Hmmm I thought UA international routes out of IAH were going to get all Jeff'd up when WN was allowed international routes out of HOU.

Interesting to keep seeing additional routes added.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by joder
Hmmm I thought UA international routes out of IAH were going to get all Jeff'd up when WN was allowed international routes out of HOU.

Interesting to keep seeing additional routes added.
But sometimes I also feel they're spending more time with new routes than fixing existing ones
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

From a corporate communication standpoint, well executed . This is meant to deflect the recent spat of bad news with a positive, and is UA's answer to AA's expansion in Asia, ( HKG) route started a few days ago.

However, the fundamentals of what UNITED is today, remain.
Hmm few things you know UA wouldn't do it because of the Tokyo Hub.

They've done IAH-PEK but failed terribly in the past. Air China is banking from the IAH-PEK and expanded frequency to 7 rather than 4 flights per week.

Also UA doesn't have F for international (future, and new routes) since they are going to use the BusinessFirst Configuration from CO.

I do suspect EVA will step into Houston-Taiwan soon.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
It is great to see IAH-SCL added as a new UA route. The international network of United makes it a truly global airline.
Except for BKK.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
They've done IAH-PEK but failed terribly in the past.
When?

Also, for those interested, the IAH-SCL flights are on sale now.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
Except for BKK.
And LOS, IST, and DME!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.