Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What I'm doing pre/post 1-Mar-2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:48 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by hobo13
Finish off this year to get to 1K again.
Fly a TON during Jan Feb 2015 to get most of the way to 1K again under old system.

Sit back.
Watch the disaster.
Wait for new CEO to take over.

Hope that new CEO de-Jeff's the place.

If that happens, fly a ton in late 2016 to requal 1K.
If not, live off the excesses of a decadent past.
Sounds like a good plan.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Interesting - United appear to be telling me to spend my money with airlines with better service, and also earn more miles flying those other airlines on Unites miles program.

Kinda strange...

Z...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MP Gold on segments.

Prior to 3/1/15 - Maximize trip lengths on UAL - credit to MP.
After 3/1/15 - Credit UA flights to A3 until I make *G (if A3's generous terms are still available)
Then...try to fly enough segments on UA to make MP Silver for 2016.

I've been bandying about the idea of getting A3 *G for a couple of years, but didn't want to give up the MP RDM to do it. Now it's not so much of a sacrifice.

If it works out, I'll have *G through Aegean and MP Silver through United for 2016.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Free Agent
So, does this mean that there is going to be a new award chart shortly? I'm not so concerned about earning because it is CC based and for flight, I'm not mainly flying AS, but I don't want to get screwed on the redemption.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: free agent
Pray for other huge wideroe party that will allow me to travel very cheaply on every weekends on Jan/Feb as gold or platinum (i decide yesterday to not do 25,000 chase UA spending) so i'll be gold. escape DC's weather for Dubai on weekends sound good (rather Oz but aint pay 2000 on UA to go down under!)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I will try to get as close to plat in 2016 from jan to feb as much as possible. After that, will try to fly award tickets. I have too much miles anyways. So UA Nd DL have saved me money as I don't need to worry status since it is not economical to do MR, no matter how cheap it is.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Have no "Strategy" at the moment. Have already booked flights with over 1.5mm miles for me and family because of previous changes. Still have o/400K. Am 1K for 2015. Plan to status match w/DL after July 1. Already booked 2 discounted business class flights with DL. Will start booking whatever best for me. No more inconvenience with settling for UA's poor service, old planes, or less attractive routings to increase miles. Have no idea what to do with 11 GPU's and 12 RPU's but have until Jan 31 for 5 & 6.

Strategy will be developed over next few months as this shakes out or doesn't.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am making 1 MM next month or so. I live at a US/AA hub where UA has really cut capacity. It is double bad for awards between losing US and UA capacity cuts.

2MM is too hard but I still wanted to stick with UA. Maybe this is another sign to leave. I know AA will most likely follow this approach but UA's schedule is just too bad for me.

As far as what to do before 3/1, I have at least 20,000 miles of flying planned on UA.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Here is what I don't understand:
•With competitors earning a higher RASM, why on earth would United reduce one of its few tools of positive differentiation?
I'm puzzled by this as well. With E+ now available on many airlines and $$ upgrades destroying upgrade chances below 1K, mileage plus RDMs were the only thing driving me to go out of my way to fly United. My award redemptions were rarely on flights that UA appeared able to sell so had little marginal cost to them.

Presumably their bean counters have a significant valuation on the mileage plus program as part of the overall value of the business. This change destroys a large part of that value. Is UA seriously going to compete on price/quality/reliability/service while undertaking $2B in cuts?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by hobo13
Finish off this year to get to 1K again.
Fly a TON during Jan Feb 2015 to get most of the way to 1K again under old system.

Sit back.
Watch the disaster.
Wait for new CEO to take over.

Hope that new CEO de-Jeff's the place.

If that happens, fly a ton in late 2016 to requal 1K.
If not, live off the excesses of a decadent past.
This is pretty much my plan also. Either UA de-Jeffs or I likely become a kayaker. Will miss status but it just isn't worth it anymore.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:50 pm
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I have already earned 1K status for next year, so now I am focusing my travel on Delta. I will burn my mileage balance on tickets for family members.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Still figuring it out.

Probably travel a bit more than previously planned prior to March 1 to take advantage of 100% 1K bonus while it lasts.

Get smarter in my credit card spend, basically pour everything into AMEX MR and Chase UR.

Look more seriously at transfers/purchases into AP and AV LM for *A redemptions.

Probably stick around with UA long enough to hit MM (sometime next year).

Consider status match to AA at some point next year.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I think the key will be to go for MP Gold, so you keep *A Gold status. The use of lounges on international trips, free bags, E+ at booking. 1K still has value, but much less than it used to be. Platinum, I don't see it getting you much reward for the extra PQM/PQS to get there.

50K and then Kayak. *A (United or otherwise) for international, domestic is whoever gets you there the fastest and/or in a better coach seat. That's life in the skies these days.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by rerunree1
Currently at 1.9 MM and was hoping to hit 2MM late next year (Plat for life & 1.75x miles), but with this devaluation.......struggling to see if UA deserves my business and worth chasing the 2MM.
exact same boat...am going to take some time to watch and wait....I'm usually pretty rash about stuff like this, but not sure how this is going to shake out.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:34 pm

What I'm doing pre/post 3/1/2015

Will probably finish as Plat this year. Next year, I am thinking jumping to SQ.
Currently UA flights still credit 100% to SQ. I can also credit VX flights to SQ. B6 recently start to codeshare with SQ, who knows, maybe I can earn SQ miles when flying B6 in the future as well. Finally, UR MR SPG all transfers to SQ.
SQ status does not give RDM bonus on these flights and little to no real benefit when flying in US. So I dont have to chase status either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.