Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United business to PVG - 747 from Ord, or 777 from Newark?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United business to PVG - 747 from Ord, or 777 from Newark?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JDT1955
I have an additional reason to prefer the EWR route, finding that it is easier for me to sleep on flights that go to the "right" of the pole and spend more time in darkness, rather than the westbound flights from ORD that are generally always in the sun. Idiosyncratic, I know, but there you have it.
Huh? The routes are almost identical, and any difference on how far east/west the actual course is will be determined more by current winds than by the slight westward departure from ORD. Sun is going to be almost the same.

ORD:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...550Z/KORD/ZSPD

EWR:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...445Z/KEWR/ZSPD
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dulcamara
If you like to be on time, avoid the 744
No truer statement in this thread!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TrinaLC
I believe the ORD flight is United crew, while I know the Newark is the typically much better CO crew ...

Any advice?
Yes, cut with the inaccurate cheap shots.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Huh? The routes are almost identical, and any difference on how far east/west the actual course is will be determined more by current winds than by the slight westward departure from ORD. Sun is going to be almost the same.

ORD:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...550Z/KORD/ZSPD

EWR:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...445Z/KEWR/ZSPD
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...445Z/KEWR/ZSPD I think is what the other poster was referencing.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
personally, i would transfer via LAX on the way back from PVG if possible, as that is a night flight out of PVG and gives you an extra day on the ground. now given the choice between the 744 and the 772, i personally have no preference - the seats feel pretty much the same to me...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
744 UD is the way to go.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Quote:

I believe the ORD flight is United crew, while I know the Newark is the typically much better CO crew ...

Any advice?

Yes, cut with the inaccurate cheap shots.
^^^
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:45 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zhangbear
personally, i would transfer via LAX on the way back from PVG if possible, as that is a night flight out of PVG and gives you an extra day on the ground. now given the choice between the 744 and the 772, i personally have no preference - the seats feel pretty much the same to me...
Problem with coming home via LAX is that you have to sit for 4-5 hours to catch a redeye back east. (I'm guessing the OP is somewhere between EWR and ORD, given the fact that all other things are equal regarding ORD or EWR).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
747 UD may be cool but seems like the OP is traveling solo which means climbing over someone or have someone over them they don't know.
Where on the 777 as a solo traveler could snag one of the seats in the middle where it's undisturbed aisle access.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I agree that if you want to be on time the 777 is the way to go. Of course if you're doing global first and traveling with one other person, seats 1A and 1K are awesome in the 747.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Problem with coming home via LAX is that you have to sit for 4-5 hours to catch a redeye back east. (I'm guessing the OP is somewhere between EWR and ORD, given the fact that all other things are equal regarding ORD or EWR).
OP is giogn business, i'm sure he'll be upfront on the domestic leg.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

I am not going to step into the debate of pmUA vs pmCO FAs but I have always found some of CO's worst FAs are the very senior ones flying ultra long haul out of EWR, such as India and China flights. I am afraid it is luck of the draw when it comes to FAs on either route but they are generally working harder to please customers these days.

And luck of the draw is also how I would describe if your flight will be on time, UA seems challenged by so many different things these days that problems are not limited to the 747s.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
OP has another connection onward from ORD or EWR which may mean a double connect to reach the final destination if routed thru LAX.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
747 UD may be cool but seems like the OP is traveling solo which means climbing over someone or have someone over them they don't know.
Where on the 777 as a solo traveler could snag one of the seats in the middle where it's undisturbed aisle access.
Go for the UP once just to try it if you have the chance. Side seats have tons of storage below the windows but you don't have aisle access. Aisle seats are the reverse, the overhead bins on the UP are smaller and at the back of the UD especially small. Two restrooms on the UD which is the best ratio for a business class cabin across the entire fleet.

Have fun!

Last edited by uanj; Jun 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:19 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
OP is giogn business, i'm sure he'll be upfront on the domestic leg.
I think you misread 'catch' as 'coach'...To more clearly explain, you arrive LAX at about 4PM from PVG. The next bank of flights back east are redeyes, which leave at 11PM. So, actually, it's more like sitting at LAX for 7 hours. The PVG-LAX flight is fine for west coast people, but those flights are definitely not designed for anyone going east of the Rockies.

Originally Posted by uanj
OP has another connection onward from ORD or EWR which may mean a double connect to reach the final destination if routed thru LAX.
Exactly...Which makes the above scenario even worse.

(I'm in that boat soon, but I'm spending the night at LAX, 12 hour layover and catching the 6AM LAX-ORD the next day...Oh, the things we go through to secure an upgrade at the time of booking!)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I would take the 747 UD over the 2 class 777 anyday! The service is much better as well on the 747 than what I have gotten on the 2 class 777 out of EWR. Although the soft product on any plane on United anymore is not nearly as good as it was just a few years ago.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 1:20 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would never pass up the opportunity to fly on the upper deck.... I love that cabin. Especially if you are able to get the exit row!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.