Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL 15 Minute Long Shareholders Meeting (June 11th, 2014)

UAL 15 Minute Long Shareholders Meeting (June 11th, 2014)

Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by dank0014
Maybe I should start investing in UA if that is the case. Share prices will increase 15-20% the day it's announced he's gone. Not a bad return if I may.
I hear you, but the stock will be under pressure until he goes. Oil price moves can swamp the fundamentals (see today where UAL with its supposedly "savvy" new planes got crushed worst of all). Its possible that the stock (which is priced to expect the profits to be more than 50% higher this year, with ain't gonna happen, will fall far more than 20% by the time he goes.

If I could time it, its a smart bet. But hard to buy just before he gets cannned.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by channa
It's part of why he's behaving this way.

If he knows he's out, why bother with difficult Q&A from shareholders?
+1

I have contacts inside Wacker Dr. and both have told me that morale throughout the company is about as low as it has ever been.

To them SMI/J is showing all the signs of a bitter, embattled leader - where he sees nothing but enemies on all sides. Contact with the shareholders, customers or line employees are the least of his concerns now. He barely interacts with anyone outside of his direct reports.

Any type of a leader would have used this event to engage and explain to those that are now so angry.

But, as we have seen from his other actions SMI/J is anything but a leader or visionary. He made a bet on where the industry was headed (i.e, the lowest common denominator) and lost. He cared little about legacy Customers or employees and thought the magic of the balance sheet was the key. Too much lawyer/finance guy, not nearly enough of a line manager/ops guy.

The general feeling is that SMI/J is now just trying to extricate himself from this mess with his pockets as filled as much as possible and something resembling any kind of respect before he is shown the door. There is little to nothing he can do for UAL now (except allow his flunky direct reports to run it even further into the ground), nor will he be running any other major Corporations in the future.

SMI/J was a horrible choice to lead this firm through the merger. Someone like Gordon, CrAAndall or Herb probably could have pulled it off considering what they started with, but SMI/J never seemed to pick up what made CO come back so well from the brink.

The Hedgies and Institutional's will call the shots on this one (the BOD appears to be composed of useless flunkies and lackies to allow things to get this bad) as to the exit package/resignation, but I would be very surprised if SMI/J makes it to 4Q14 in his current position.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dank0014
Maybe I should start investing in UA if that is the case. Share prices will increase 15-20% the day it's announced he's gone. Not a bad return if I may.
Part of the reason a lot of analysts are bullish on UAL is there's more upside to UA if they fix the place up.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by spin88
I've been thinking more like 4Q/1Q 2015, but the news has been unusually bad of late... If UAL performs (or more accurately underperforms) as badly as it appears they will in 2Q 2014, you may be correct. His refusal to say that the guidance of +1-3% PRASM was "conservative" was a clear sign of where things are going....
I think the end of the year or early 2015 is more appropriate. Most good potential replacement CEOs will have zero desire to be greeted by incomplete merger-related labor negotiations or major system cutovers coming through the door, and these items likely won't fully play out until the end of the summer or well into the fall.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Originally Posted by spin88
I've been thinking more like 4Q/1Q 2015, but the news has been unusually bad of late... If UAL performs (or more accurately underperforms) as badly as it appears they will in 2Q 2014, you may be correct. His refusal to say that the guidance of +1-3% PRASM was "conservative" was a clear sign of where things are going....
I think the end of the year or early 2015 is more appropriate. Most good potential replacement CEOs will have zero desire to be greeted by incomplete merger-related labor negotiations or major system cutovers coming through the door, and these items likely won't fully play out until the end of the summer or well into the fall.
There is littl likelihood of the labor relations working themselves out while Smisek is at the helm.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:34 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Not that anyone expected a change, but Smi/J had about 1.5x as many "no" votes to get reelected to the BoD as most of the others on the board. (Vitale <President of Chicago Board of Education> was up there too.) http://biz.yahoo.com/e/140612/ual8-k.html

Last edited by fastair; Jun 13, 2014 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
Not that anyone expected a change, but Smi/J had about 1.5x as many "no" votes to get reelected to the BoD as most of the others on the board. (Vitale <President of Chicago Board of Education> was up there too.) http://biz.yahoo.com/e/140612/ual8-k.html
That's not going to matter since he has still way too much control over that decision. It was a mistake on behalf of UA after the merger to give him a seat on the board as part of his offer. He's got the majority of the board members wrapped around his fingers.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by CoMooter
To them SMI/J is showing all the signs of a bitter, embattled leader - where he sees nothing but enemies on all sides. Contact with the shareholders, customers or line employees are the least of his concerns now. He barely interacts with anyone outside of his direct reports.
Any hope of him opting out of showing his face in the safety video then?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:37 am
Suspended

I know Jeff mentioned he also flew on the competition in both classes. Just curious when he flies UA does anyone know if he flies E-, E+, or Business/First?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanegod
I know Jeff mentioned he also flew on the competition in both classes. Just curious when he flies UA does anyone know if he flies E-, E+, or Business/First?
Can vary, there is a thread about seeing him on board

I've ran across his twice at ORD, but so far never the same flight.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CoMooter
+1

I have contacts inside Wacker Dr. and both have told me that morale throughout the company is about as low as it has ever been.

Any type of a leader would have used this event to engage and explain to those that are now so angry.

But, as we have seen from his other actions SMI/J is anything but a leader or visionary. He made a bet on where the industry was headed (i.e, the lowest common denominator) and lost. He cared little about legacy Customers or employees and thought the magic of the balance sheet was the key. Too much lawyer/finance guy, not nearly enough of a line manager/ops guy.

The general feeling is that SMI/J is now just trying to extricate himself from this mess with his pockets as filled as much as possible and something resembling any kind of respect before he is shown the door. There is little to nothing he can do for UAL now (except allow his flunky direct reports to run it even further into the ground), nor will he be running any other major Corporations in the future.

SMI/J was a horrible choice to lead this firm through the merger. Someone like Gordon, CrAAndall or Herb probably could have pulled it off considering what they started with, but SMI/J never seemed to pick up what made CO come back so well from the brink.

The Hedgies and Institutional's will call the shots on this one (the BOD appears to be composed of useless flunkies and lackies to allow things to get this bad) as to the exit package/resignation, but I would be very surprised if SMI/J makes it to 4Q14 in his current position.
This is a spot-on observation.

I've seen this with CEO's a couple of times. First time, was a long time CEO who was allowed to announce his retirement. He was very well liked, just couldn't guide the company through a big change.

Second time the CEO holed up and didn't communicate to anyone but direct reports for nearly a year, but she managed to pull the company out of a bad financial situation, and is still in place.

I believe, similar to you, that he's out around the time of the Q3 earnings call. He knows he's in trouble.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Its worth noting that the election results have similar 'Da' rates to North Korea and Libya.

The fundamental responsibility of the board is to hire and fire the CEO. This board seems grossly incapable of that.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:08 am

two questions arise from this...

1) what did he fly as "competition" internationally? If interntinally he only flew an old AA bird and LH, then he probably doesn't realize how far behind UA is.

2) interesting to note "both classes" I find it hard to believe he's never experienced F on LH or an asian carrier. But it is telling that he thinks about 2-class.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
he's out around the time of the Q3 earnings call. He knows he's in trouble.
I don't think so. I think at this point, if the board is smart, use Jeff to do all the ugly stuff now and then start fresh sometime mid-next year at the earliest.

There is two things they are hoping for: 1) Jeff can turn it around, or 2) If he isn't able to turn around that he takes all the crap for doing the dirty job so that the new CEO can win morale over. If it's the latter, the dirty work will not be done by Q3, it's still quite a ways out.

Why bring a new CEO into this mess to have them lose trust so quickly and then have to bring another new CEO in and ramp up within 1-2 years.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
It would be interesting to know if he flew the good planes or bad planes. If he flew the newer AA service on the 777, he must have crapped his pants like the person in the other thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.