Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Unhappy 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

I got this message on http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298. It appears on other *A partner webpages as well.

"How you earn award miles on flights will change on March 1, 2015." with a "Lean more" link to http://mileageplusupdates.com/, but that renders a blank page (with just a dot) for the time being.

What "enhancement" can we expect this time ?

Source code of http://mileageplusupdates.com:

<html>
<!-- this is a test -->.
</html>
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by mozilla
I got this message on http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298. It appears on other *A partner webpages as well.

"How you earn award miles on flights will change on March 1, 2015." with a "Lean more" link to http://mileageplusupdates.com/, but that renders a blank page (with just a dot) for the time being.

What "enhancement" can we expect this time ?

Source of http://mileageplusupdates.com:

<html>
<!-- this is a test -->.
</html>
Just to be clear, the changes look like it impacts mileage accruals on *A flights, not a change to UA flights as far as I can tell. There will probably be some minor changes across the board. I'd bet there are less fares that will earn miles or full miles.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Recall that about a dozen years ago Delta went to 50% miles on discount economy fares but reversed itself after a roar from its frequent flyers, particularly business travelers who purchased cheap vacation fares for their families. I've been waiting to see if UA tries to go down that road after the drop in bonus miles to its 1MM lifetime and midtier flyers from 100% to 50%. Wouldn't put it past them at this point to drop deep discount economy down to zero miles. Will be interesting what the next "enhancement" is.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:07 am

It's not blank....

Spend based mileage earning for all UA metal flights.

x5 Members
x7 Silver
x8 Gold
x9 Plat
x11 1K/GS
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
And, again, we follow Delta. Love the innovation at United

More seriously, this just incentivizes buying expensive fares. Going to GUM will help me get a few more miles but going to LA I think I don't earn as many miles. I'm more interested to see how AA responds when they roll out their new program in 2015.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Just saw the full webpage now as well . Apparently it has been published just a few moments ago.

At least an enhancement that is not unexpected, but it's not a "change that I will like".

Also, this program update will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide and it will also apply to tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline when the ticket number starts with "016." Tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that aren’t issued by United (ticket numbers that don’t start with “016”) will still earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thus ends the very good RDM earnings on cheap flights to pay for the post devaluation awards. Good for those who spend more than $500 on transcons or segment flyers.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 10, 2014 at 5:34 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
...thus ends the mileage run
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
So.... Ticket cost including taxes????

So let me get this: If I do SJO-FRA @ $1500 (average ticket cost) I get 16500 miles instead of the 24,284 I m getting now with my 1K bonus???

If yes, then this is the last straw, I was going to try and get 1K status this year, but I think I will just focus on switching carriers...

Last edited by SJOFlyer; Jun 10, 2014 at 5:43 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Well, today the United [expletive] hit the fan. I was really hoping UA would distinguish themselves and offer a different program than Delta. Nope; exactly the same mileage changes as Delta. This will cut my mileage earned to Asia roughly in half, which when combined with the huge mileage trip redemption increases implemented at the start of the year, completely disincentivises me to fly on United. Now I need to seriously think about returning to Delta.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:46 am

And they did it again
Copy al of DL's initiatives that are bad for the customer and completely overlook all of DL's initiatives than are potentially good for the customer
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Billiken
Mileage runs are normally about status more than mileage earning, and status is NOT affected by this change.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: kayaker
This ends not only the "pure" mileage run, but moreso any marginal incentive to buy tickets. Business travelers pay whatever they have to, leisure travelers buy the cheapest ticket on their selected dates and routes. This change hits those of us who simply love travel for travel's sake: as the hobby becomes more expensive, those of us on tighter budgets (like myself) have no option but to give up the game.

It was a great ride while it lasted! I can't fault the airlines for going to a model that should improve their bottom line, but I'll definitely miss the "good old days."
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
Ding Ding Ding Ding
Originally Posted by docbert
Mileage runs are normally about status more than mileage earning, and status is NOT affected by this change.
Yes, but earning redeemable miles is also a player.

I paid $245 for a recent PHL-SFO-PDX mileage run. I earned ~12k RDMs including 1K bonus. With this new calculation I'll earn 2695 RDMs. Effectively cut by over 75%. I do not see them cutting the redemption chart by 75%.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by o mikros
It was a great ride while it lasted! I can't fault the airlines for going to a model that should improve their bottom line, but I'll definitely miss the "good old days."

Yup, it's the end of an era. With increased mile prices, and now less miles earned, MP is useless to almost everyone. Makes me sad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.