Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today were announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. Weve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDMs?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
I think this change will hurt United a lot more severely than Delta. I know a lot of elite flyers on both Delta and United. Delta elites fly Delta mostly because they like the product and service and generally feel it's superior to the alternatives out there, and mileage earning is almost secondary to that. United elites fly United because the product and service is bearable, but more so because of the frequent flyer program and greater ability and options to redeem miles (even after the recent devaluation). So they're basically gutting the one thing that I think was their strongest competitive advantage. Big mistake that I think will lead to many more quarters in the red.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
It boggles my mind how the management team can sit around and legitimately think this, combined with all their other recent "enhancements" will be a good move. First they alienate HVFs, and now they want to alienate everyone else besides the once-a-year flyers and manufactured spenders? I just don't get it.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Renard
Game over. MP is dead. What's next?
Flying UA on MRs and crediting those UA flights to non-UA programs.

Credit card churning and manufactured spend.

And for the crooked using OPM: ripping off their employers, clients and colleagues by gaming things to buy more expensive tickets than otherwise.

That last one may be considered by some to be a window into how an airline has deliberately set up things to try to encourage users or OPM for tickets to engage in fraud/embezzlement/misappropriation.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfingboy
The customers that got screwed the most here are undoubtedly any elite who buys paid Global First fares.
Someone should ask Tom Stuker what he thinks about this move.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I am a NZ "retired" resident not subject to PQD. I traveled over 100K on *A by March 3, 2014. All my own $. I buy Z,P,V,W Fares 90% of time. Find it hard to use all my GPU's and RPU's as without R inventory I sometimes "buy up" to ensure upgrade. With this new "enhancement" it seems I should wait until July 1 and ask DL to status match. Plan my Jan-Feb 2015 on UA for max miles and then try to enjoy the DL service for balance of 2015. (It has to be better than UA.)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I see this as fair. When I pay nearly $1000 to go to SLC and the guy next to me pays $400 and both of us get the same miles, that is not fair. MileagePlus is still far better for redemptions and as a program than DL's. Now the miles will be more valuable. However for international flights, many might prefer to fly other Star carriers as they will get the miles based on distance, assuming the fares are competitive.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GroundStop
Don't forget the positive side of this announcement:
More and better ways to use your miles.
For the fifth year in a row, MileagePlus is ranked #1 in award seat availability among U.S. global carriers*. You already have so many innovative ways to use award miles, from flights with Uniteds global network to hotel stays to once-in-a-lifetime experiences. And in 2015, you'll have new choices:
Economy Plus purchases on upcoming flights
Economy Plus annual subscriptions
Checked baggage subscriptions
And more on the way
This is what really worries me, so will elites stop getting free E+? this is not good

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by fivevsone
I guess I don't quite understand what the driver of this is. Do flight generated miles create such a massive liability on the balance sheet that they need to cut flight mile earning?

Assuming there is a defensible financial reason to take this act, what is it?

Redemptions take up a significant proportion of salable first and business seats?
It's not the liability of the miles that's driving this. That liability can be limited simply by restricting award seat availability, both on UA and on partner airlines (as UA has done in the past).

The driver is very simple: UA wants you to spend more on tickets. If you are going to be loyal to UA, and you want RDMs, this change incentivizes you to spend more.

Of course, UA runs the risk of driving away some customers with this change. But where would you go? AA is very likely to change to a revenue RDM basis, so there will soon be no major US airline to switch to that still has mileage-based RDMs.

Originally Posted by JeredF
Why are they doing this? This drives more point earning to credit card partners, which largely don't have United loyalty -- I can transfer my Chase points to a dozen different programs. I have to assume at this point that the majority of earned points come through partner earning rather than BIS miles, so this doesn't reduce their pool of currency at all.
Chase pays UA $$$ for every Chase point you convert into a United RDM. There's your answer.

When UA can fill its planes with customers paying high fares even without an attractive loyalty program, why should they spend money on an attractive loyalty program? Think about it. It's genius. Rather than making customers happy (which costs money), it is now Chase that has to make customers happy by having a broad range of redemption partners. Because UA is still useful as a redemption partner, it is in a position to bargain up the price per RDM "bought" by Chase. So not only does UA no longer have to spend money to keep customers happy and loyal, but it gets paid by Chase for the few seats it can't sell.

I hate these changes, but I think they are going to drive up UA's profitability despite its race-to-the-bottom product.

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
I think this change will hurt United a lot more severely than Delta. I know a lot of elite flyers on both Delta and United. Delta elites fly Delta mostly because they like the product and service and generally feel it's superior to the alternatives out there, and mileage earning is almost secondary to that. United elites fly United because the product and service is bearable, but more so because of the frequent flyer program and greater ability and options to redeem miles (even after the recent devaluation). So they're basically gutting the one thing that I think was their strongest competitive advantage. Big mistake that I think will lead to many more quarters in the red.
The biggest difference vs. Delta (beyond their better service) is that unless you are GS on United, you are nothing. Delta values its Diamond fliers and there is nothing above. The ones I know have 90% domestic upgrade rates.

Most of my coworkers are Delta people and they seem very happy with Delta.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by hyho61
I see this as fair. When I pay nearly $1000 to go to SLC and the guy next to me pays $400 and both of us get the same miles, that is not fair. MileagePlus is still far better for redemptions and as a program than DL's. Now the miles will be more valuable. However for international flights, many might prefer to fly other Star carriers as they will get the miles based on distance, assuming the fares are competitive.
Yup, OPMers rejoice. Everyone else just got screwed.

Guaranteed earnings for partners willow further devalue, so that you're not earning 100% unless on full Y.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
With regards to the 75k cap.........presumably they will be calculating the RDMs earned per flight based off the PQD calculation? (PQD * MP level)....so would be helpful to clarify whether this 75k cap is calculated per segment or per complete ticket.

I know the website says "ticket" but clarity would be helpful

And if they're using the PQD calculation, do BULK fares now earn 0 PQD and 0 RDM?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by bldr1k
The biggest difference vs. Delta (beyond their better service) is that unless you are GS on United, you are nothing. Delta values its Diamond fliers and there is nothing above. The ones I know have 90% domestic upgrade rates.

Most of my coworkers are Delta people and they seem very happy with Delta.
There's Delta 360 (which is technically above Diamond).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
On March 1, 2015 RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance, for UA MileagePlus

As a TPAC low fare flyer, it looks like I'll be heading to AA/JL/OneWorld, at least until they copy it too...

It's the end of an era. May as well just buy the cheapest fare. So long United, this is the last nail in the coffin.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
With the market now cornered, you can bet the new combined AAdvantage scheme will be next.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS
People say that this screws people buying international first class because of the 75k limit.

Am I missing something? Let's take the recent example of the BOS-ICN ticket which everyone jumped on for $1700 (normal going price around $7000).

I just plugged it into the calculator, and a global first ticket for this would have gotten a 1K 58,576 miles.

In the new system, a 1K would earn 75000 miles. A general member would earn 35000 miles, a slight decrease from the 41,840 they'd have earned before.

Sure, the 75k limit doesn't provide as much benefit as the 77000 they'd get if there was no limit, but both are still way more than before.

Now, the people who only paid $1700 are definitely screwed, but that's also understandable. But they still get the PQMs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.