Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
If it makes you feel better, I only get my accruals (on both website and app) show up pre flight about 40-50% of the time. And when they show up, there's certainly no guarantee they are accurate.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
If it makes you feel better, I only get my accruals (on both website and app) show up pre flight about 40-50% of the time. And when they show up, there's certainly no guarantee they are accurate.
Mine are missing occasionally and like you I pay no attention to them when present.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Good it is not just me. I wonder why it is happening.

I made 1K already this year but am trying to keep track to see if I can make the 3rd tier of that promotion - it would very very close. It looks like it won't happen now with some work plan changes. So, I guess I will not worry about it until 1/1.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:28 pm

S-Class miles

How much miles do you earn in S class from SFO to HKG.
The actual miles is 6900, but I only received 2735 miles.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
On a United Flight (where the ticket number begins with 016 (016 stock)) the number of miles depends upon how much the ticket cost (minus taxes; fees) and your status.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx

The basis is 5 times that cost. For each elite level you also receive a 'bonus' multiplier of 2,3,4;6 for Silver, Gold, Platinum or 1K.

Eg. If your ticket cost $1000 after taxes and fees and you held Gold status:
5 X 1000 = 5000
3 X 1000 = 3000
for a total of 8000 RDM

Class of ticket is not important for stock 016 fares only the cost with regards to RDM (the miles you redeem for travel; etc.)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
On a United Flight (where the ticket number begins with 016 (016 stock)) the number of miles depends upon how much the ticket cost (minus taxes; fees) and your status.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx

The basis is 5 times that cost. For each elite level you also receive a 'bonus' multiplier of 2,3,4;6 for Silver, Gold, Platinum or 1K.

Eg. If your ticket cost $1000 after taxes and fees and you held Gold status:
5 X 1000 = 5000
3 X 1000 = 3000
for a total of 8000 RDM

Class of ticket is not important for stock 016 fares only the cost with regards to RDM (the miles you redeem for travel; etc.)
Mileage is the multiplier times PQD, which is the cost before taxes and fees, not after. At 2735 miles earned, OP would have paid $547 (or close to it, there may be slight rounding involved), if they are a GM, plus taxes and fees for that segment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm Reason: modifying text of quotes is not allowed
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1k
Lufthansa ticket, United Flight

I found a good fare to go to my hometown for Christmas, it is mostly United metal (in combination with TP for the last domestic leg) but for some reason comes up cheaper if I book it through LH ($1k cheaper!).

As it would be a 220 stock ticket, would I still get my PQDs and miles based on those? It would be booking into Q fare on the way there and H on the way back.

Also, can I then use my GPUs on the UA pieces as the flights would be ticketing on LH codeshares?

Thanks! :-)
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrt88
... As it would be a 220 stock ticket, would I still get my PQDs and miles based on those? ...
PQMs will be the same.
PQDs only for the UA flights.
RMDs using PQDs for UA flights and using flight miles (& fare class) for non-UA flights.

... , can I then use my GPUs on the UA pieces as the flights would be ticketing on LH codeshares? ....
yes
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I found a good fare to go to my hometown for Christmas, it is mostly United metal (in combination with TP for the last domestic leg) but for some reason comes up cheaper if I book it through LH ($1k cheaper!).

As it would be a 220 stock ticket, would I still get my PQDs and miles based on those? It would be booking into Q fare on the way there and H on the way back.

Also, can I then use my GPUs on the UA pieces as the flights would be ticketing on LH codeshares?

Thanks! :-)
If you are flying on UA metal, your earnings for PQM, PQD, and RDM should be the exact same as if you had bought on 016 stock (to be clear - only on the portions that you are flying UA metal on). You can still use your GPUs on the UA flights - shouldn't be an issue, even if you have to call the hotline. The easiest thing to do would be to add the reservation to your UA account once it is booked; once that is done, it should look like any other reservation as if you had made it direct with UA.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1k
Thank you PsiFighter37!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Advantage
United mileage award math...

Flying from EWR to DEL on United ticketed airfare resulted in a total of 1,152 Award Miles. Is this correct?
UA 82 H class: Base miles 640 + Bonus Miles 512 = Total miles 1,152
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 1K_SoCal
Flying from EWR to DEL on United ticketed airfare resulted in a total of 1,152 Award Miles. Is this correct?
UA 82 H class: Base miles 640 + Bonus Miles 512 = Total miles 1,152
How much did you pay for your ticket?
Do you have any status on UA?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
How much did you pay for your ticket?
Do you have any status on UA?
Also, what was the entire routing, and have you finished your trip? Those numbers -- which represent 128 PQD for a Platinum -- seem low for an H fare on EWR-DEL. However, UA can allocate PQD oddly to different segments within a trip.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Advantage
This year I'm a Platinum. Paid a total of $1,095.41 ($950.20 airfare + taxes)
Here's the original ticket:
(K Class) UA52 IAD-ZUR + UA9051 ZUR-FRA + UA8906 FRA-DEL
and then
(W Class) UA7968 BKK-NRT + UA804 NRT-IAD
At check in counter the outbound leg was rebooked to IAD-EWR-DEL. Yield a total of 1,188 award miles (36 + 1,152)
From BKK to IAD I received a total of 7,328 miles (2,214 + 5,116)
Did the UA rep messed up the reservation and she changed the original itinerary?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems approximately correct, although you may be missing about $33 worth of PQD and 300 award miles. With $950 airfare and platinum status, the trip should total about 8550 award miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.