Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CMK10
That's incorrect. There will also be segment qualifiers switching, and people who pay mid-range fares and people who are tired of nothing but cuts and devaluations, plus people who live in the southeast where UA is now very weak without US.
Indeed. In a world where UA and DL are relatively equal on the mileage earning front, I'd take DL every day. UA is weak in the southeast, while DL is an obvious monster in the southeast. New AA is also much stronger than UA in the southeast. I would never book a ticket with UA now if UA and DL were the same price. DL is better in all classes. If I was spending a large amount of OPM, I'd be going with DL. UA guts the last advantage they had unless you live closer to EWR/IAD/IAH/SFO than another competitive airport. Now, you're getting the same miles as DL for a subpar product to DL. And the costs in miles for redemptions are quite well aligned too.

Of course, I'll be booking with AA almost no matter what anyway . But now, even if AA goes revenue based, I'm unlikely to switch from AA. Then, no major US domestic based FFP has a major advantage over the other in an overall sense. So, why switch when I'm familiar with AA? Why would someone switch from AA/DL to UA? This is such a bad move by UA that it is almost laughable.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by sf26
The people that will switch to AA will be all the unprofitable mileage runners from Delta and United. All the profitable flyers who spend the most money will be happy with Delta and United.
Don't agree. I am not a MR but believe there is a use for them as they do fill seats. Spending $ with UA and getting old planes and lousy service is not a happy trip. When I pay big $, I try to travel with LH, SQ and avoid UA metal.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I actuall disagree. With a 3/15 start date they are providing 8 months lead time. That is a heck of an advance notice. Need to give them some kudos for that. It could have come in during October or November as well.. Thanks and Safe Travels
The point is that halfway into the year, in which I have decided that UA is my airline of choice and am halfway into requalifying for 1K, they spring a MAJOR change taking effect the following year, which will greatly reduce the benefit of my 1K status.

Delta made the announcement around 2/26/2014. Same amount of lead time, but if you didn't like it you had much more time to find another airline and do the necessary elite flying.

It's less the lead time than the time of the year that this is announced. Uncool IMO.

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
I realize there is more in the UA Sales e-mail (of course, tell less to your customers than you do to travel agents). Here is the full text:

United announces changes to 2015 MileagePlus program

Today United announced it is making changes to the MileagePlus program in 2015. Members will earn award miles based on their ticket price rather than distance flown.

United announces changes to 2015 MileagePlus program
Starting March 1, 2015, the award miles earned on most tickets for United and United Express flights will be based on ticket price, that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges and MileagePlus status, instead of the distance traveled.
Starting in early 2015 all MileagePlus members will be offered opportunities to use their award miles to purchase United Economy Plus seats, and to purchase subscriptions for Economy Plus and checked-baggage.
Members will still earn Premier qualifying miles (PQM) based on the distance flown and this change does not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status.
This program update will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide.
The award miles members earn on most tickets for United and United Express flights will be based on ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges). Members with MileagePlus® Premier® status will earn even more miles.

Member level
(at the time of flight,
on or after March 1, 2015)

Award miles per U.S. dollar spent
Premier® Silver
Premier® Gold
Premier® Platinum
Premier® 1K®
and Global ServicesSM

The new earning structure will apply to most tickets for travel on United and United Express flights, and most United-issued tickets on airline partners with ticket numbers beginning with "016." Members may earn up to 75,000 award miles per ticket.

Additional program details
MileagePlus members currently earn award miles on United, United Express or United's airline partners based on distance, fare class and MileagePlus Premier status. Some airline partners will continue to offer miles based on distance, fare class and MileagePlus Premier status, even after the MileagePlus program changes March 1, 2105.

There are no changes to the way members earn miles on a MileagePlus cobranded credit card: For example, United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will earn two miles for each $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, in addition to the miles earned for the flight.

Miles are earned based on MileagePlus status at time of departure, not time of purchase.
Tickets operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that are not ticketed by United (ticket numbers that do not start with "016") will continue to earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class.
Members will continue to earn Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) based on the distance of the flight. Premier members will continue to earn a minimum of 500 PQM on United and United Express flights shorter than 500 miles.
Award miles are not earned for payment toward United travel products (such as Economy Plus seating or upgrades) or fees (such as checked baggage fees, MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays and change fees).
Purchases in a currency other than U.S. dollars will be converted to U.S. dollars.
Specialty tickets
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and
United Express
J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
150%
Y, B, M
100%
E, U, H, Q,V,W
75%
S, T, L,K, G, N
50%

Programs: Auto shop by CHO Frequent Oil Changer; Kayak Incognito Mode Platinum
As a former mid-level spender, non-elite coastal resident and occasional international traveler, all this does is finish the job begun by the death of 500-mile minimums and escalating load factors. We've been eating this crap sandwich for 6 years -- ever try to redeem a saver award as a non-elite?

Kayak is where I go now, but it's not strictly lowest-fare-wins. If I can fly UA CHO-IAD-whereever, leave my car at the auto shop down the street for an oil change, state inspection and free parking while I'm gone, and know that the local UAX staffers will get me in a cab without complaint if CHO-IAD mechanicals, sure, maybe UA gets my business this time. Otherwise, I'll happily drive to RIC, DCA or IAD, and when I get there I'll go B6, VX, AS or WN. International, I'll take my destination country's flag carrier if at all possible.

I don't need the abuse on-board (much less at ORD or EWR) for $20 in fare difference and effectively zero FF rewards.
Suspended

For all those people that got in at the cheapo F fare to ICN: if you fly out next year after March 1st, you will only earn 8,000~16,000 miles!

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
so i'm assuming mileage accrual will be as is until March, so maybe expect some larger fisrt quarter numbers if people want a last chance to mile run

i am so glad i will be platinum or 1K this year, starting as a general member in 2015 will make it much more difficult to achieve that status

i will certainly cut down on my segments and pay a few bucks more which is probably what they want
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by billnye97
Well it actually works out better for me. I fly CLE-LGA and then LGA-CLE every week. Right now I get 1750 miles being Platinum. With my fare this week (without taxes) I would get 4644 with my $516 fare. Pretty good for me. The only thing I worry about is more devaluation in the redemption area.

I understand for everyone else it pretty much sucks though.
But you were already flying UA anyway? The change is nice for you, but does it really increase your incentive to do something you were already doing anyway? The FFP should be used to increase business. UA has your business due to the schedule and timings I'm guessing, not their FFP. DL flies LGA-CLE, and already had this style earning announced for next year.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
It appears to only benefit 1K and GS.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Here's a copy of the email UA sent me:

http://cmk10.smugmug.com/Travel/Flye.../L/UA-DL-L.jpg
Haha this is great...should gift box a copy to the UA MP spin machine!!! I expected something like to this happen but had a shimmer of hope that UA would be somewhat different...truly time to press the bail button, burn remaining miles and become another Kayaker.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Did they announce anything on CC waiver for 2015 - for all except 1k. DL still has the waiver for 2015 and beyond.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by billnye97
Well it actually works out better for me. I fly CLE-LGA and then LGA-CLE every week. Right now I get 1750 miles being Platinum. With my fare this week (without taxes) I would get 4644 with my $516 fare. Pretty good for me. The only thing I worry about is more devaluation in the redemption area.

I understand for everyone else it pretty much sucks though.
Yeah, you're in the small minority group it benefits. I actually fly routes like this a lot too. I have a friend who flies ORD-SFO rt weekly, and without knowing his $, I assume he'll lose big.
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
The DL earnings formula works, the UA formula doesn't.
We will not know that until Q2 or Q3 2015. Then again, by then AA may have matched as well so all are as bad as the next.

What the heck... As if it isn't confusing enough.

Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and
United Express
J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
150%
Y, B, M
100%
E, U, H, Q,V,W
75%
S, T, L,K, G, N
50%
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Haha this is great...should gift box a copy to the UA MP spin machine!!! I expected something like to this happen but had a shimmer of hope that UA would be somewhat different...truly time to press the bail button, burn remaining miles and become another Kayaker.
Thanks I posted it on their Facebook page too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.