Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by EMan
Thank you for replying IAH-OIL-TRASH.........I did read the Wiki and still have the same question. It looks like the answer is number 2., but many people refer to ticket prices as if ticket price is defined as the total-out-of-pocket-expense.

Example: The Wiki says: "For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket."............I assume that in the example, the actual out-of-pocket-ticket-price would be more than $100?

Would somebody kindly please give me a (simple) answer versus more "reading material".
Ticket price minus taxes AND minus government imposed fees.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Still puzzled by the 75K RDM cap on each ticket.:confused

Is UA trying to drive high revenue passengers? Some of the last min transpac and transatlantic fares paid by GS/1K could fetch pretty high $, but the excess won't earn any miles.....

Anyone that has figured out the rationale behind the capping?
Actually I think the reasoning for UA is simpler than everyone here makes it. It is "because that's what Delta did". Seriously - I see no indication that UA did any original thinking with the change - they just copied the Delta policies. Now as for why Delta included that cap - that's a different discussion that I suspect has been had over in their forum.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Actually I think the reasoning for UA is simpler than everyone here makes it. It is "because that's what Delta did". Seriously - I see no indication that UA did any original thinking with the change - they just copied the Delta policies. Now as for why Delta included that cap - that's a different discussion that I suspect has been had over in their forum.
DL also doesn't have int'l F, so not sure how many $10K+ tickets they might be selling, relative to say UA...maybe less of an issue overall
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
DL also doesn't have int'l F, so not sure how many $10K+ tickets they might be selling, relative to say UA...maybe less of an issue overall
agreed. GF is the real issue here. Most BF P,Z,C fares will be fine w/ the new rules. D,J,A,F is going to be an issue for UA to message to HVCs.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
agreed. GF is the real issue here. Most BF P,Z,C fares will be fine w/ the new rules. D,J,A,F is going to be an issue for UA to message to HVCs.
especially since RTW books into D from what I .
(of course, why anyone buying a RTW would use any UA international segments except for maybe N America segments is another question.)
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If I buy a $10,000 roundtrip C to China, instead of getting 110,000 miles I will get 75,000 miles.

Why wouldn't someone just buy two one ways instead? If you are buying. Y, B or C, the price is the same.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bldr1k
If I buy a $10,000 roundtrip C to China, instead of getting 110,000 miles I will get 75,000 miles.
Why wouldn't someone just buy two one ways instead? If you are buying. Y, B or C, the price is the same.
That seems to be the work around.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold

Is UA trying to drive high revenue passengers? Some of the last min transpac and transatlantic fares paid by GS/1K could fetch pretty high $, but the excess won't earn any miles.....

Don't bother thinking about UA's motivations, they mostly blindly copied the details of the DL program. Think about DL's motivation, since they thought up the cap.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
RTWs will be an interesting case. If the RDM system drives off the same engine that drives the PQD system then likely there will be some internal algorithm that assigns dollar values to each segment flown. It would then seem that one could credit individual segments to some other *A carrier program that you belong to and thus get the total value of the segments credited to UA on the ticket below the 75K cap. But that also requires that UA be able to reassemble the segments as they credit to the account back into a single ticket to enforce the cap (something they don't need to do in the PQD case). I wonder what internal bugs someone doing this will trigger?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even the comfortably rich with lots of disposable income play this game and don't like getting ripped off.
That old Midas commercial: "How do you think a man like me got to be a 'man like me?'"

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is why the whole MRers have ruined things idea is so stupid. Noone MRs for RDMs. It makes no sense.
It can tip the decision, though. Sure did for me when AA was offering triple EQM in 2012. EDIT: I meant RDM.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jun 14, 2014 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
That old Midas commercial: "How do you think a man like me got to be a 'man like me?'"

It can tip the decision, though. Sure did for me when AA was offering triple EQM in 2012.
Exactly. Not RDM.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Exactly. Not RDM.
Sorry for the typo; they were also giving triple RDM on those routes, which is what I meant.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bldr1k

corporate flyers rarely book one-ways. Not only is this often causing expense reporting issues and multiple booking fees it can also cause issues with Visa and stuff like that where you need a r/t ticket. Can't imagine asking the admin to book 2 one-ways and explaining why I want the extra work, hassle and fees.

Personally I would never book a $10k J-class ticket; P and Z is fine; C, D, J is not what I usually book.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador

This cap is way too overanalyzed. I just returned from a roundtrip between IAD and SIN - one way was an A fare and the other a J fare. I earned 60,000 RDMs for this trip. Also, let's not forget that the whole $13K fare for this trip goes to my PQD/GS qualification which matters greatly to me. 75K caps are fine by me. As I said elsewhere, if you are a GS, you should be pleased by this change. I get why others are not.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cfischer
corporate flyers rarely book one-ways. Not only is this often causing expense reporting issues and multiple booking fees it can also cause issues with Visa and stuff like that where you need a r/t ticket. Can't imagine asking the admin to book 2 one-ways and explaining why I want the extra work, hassle and fees.

Personally I would never book a $10k J-class ticket; P and Z is fine; C, D, J is not what I usually book.
Agree that the $10k ticket is an exception - but I typically have a couple per year. Also - have you ever tried to fly to DXB / Australia from the US in business class? Even P and Z can be over the limit. I go to Australia twice per year from upstate NY and DXB four times - and although the changes in general will benefit my type of travel I am staring to agree with the other posters - UA copied the program from Delta without thinking it through....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jun 14, 2014 at 11:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.