Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Are these things knowable by us here on FT?
In about 10 minutes of research, I found that DL in 2009 assessed "fair value" of its miles at .54 cents each. DAL Revenue Recognition

And that UA's "breakage" rate - the estimate of percentage of miles that will go unredeemed - is 24%. Accounting for Airline FFP.

This last piece is particularly interesting and talks about how airlines can manipulate financial results using their FFP.

I suspect an hour or two reading 10K's and related materials would yield quite a bit more info.

Originally Posted by username
UA would say, "I knew HVF. HVF was a passenger of mine before switching to AA. aussieinsf, you're no HVF"
We now know UA's definition of a HVF - someone who averages over 18 cpm.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vandrei
And, with the letter to 1Ks insinuating that E+ and checked bag benefits may be dropped for them in the future...
What letter?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, so I get the very near-term thinking on the part of the airlines... Cut capacity, reduce dependency on loyalty programs, and basically get out of the business of carrying leisure/discretionary passengers. Business travel has been strong enough that they've been successful at removing most if not all leisure-type fares from many markets, and now they'll hoping to follow through with a gradual exit from such huge dependency on FFP's. (Hotels, for what it's worth, seem to be doing the same thing.)

My two questions are this:

- What happens where there genuinely is a paradigm shift of some sorts that causes business travel to drop rapidly? Who knows what it will be...maybe someday videoconferencing won't suck like it typically does now. Maybe some kind of disruptive charter business model will emerge. Maybe something else entirely. Maybe it's as simple as some sort of new financial crisis that we can't envision right now. In any case, it seems like there is some risk in putting your eggs *entirely* in the business-travel basket. "High-value passengers" are great, but does it have to be at the expense of the "regular-value passengers"? I'm thinking of the people who might have bought your standard S or T fare to Orlando 5-6 years ago who are now *completely* excluded from the market, not the hardcore mileage-running Flyertalker looking to maximize RDM.

- As the airlines back away from FFP's, don't they run the risk that the Citibanks and Chases of the world won't want to pay as much for the miles? If credit card customers stop valuing miles the way they do today, they'll expect more to respond to a new CC offer. But since they aren't really *worth* more to Chase, then isn't Chase going to say "Hey United, you devalued the whole program, so next time we renegotiate, we're going to want to pay a lot less." Since selling miles to credit cards is a huge profit center for airlines, isn't there a risk here that they kill the golden goose at the same time they're pushing more and more travelers out of the system? In the credit card game, the highest-value cardmembers might *not* be the same set as the highest-value fliers, as many of those people are using corporate cards for their travel expenses.

Anyway, I'm finding it interesting to see hotels and airlines collectively try to reel in this monster they created 30+ years ago.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, so I get the very near-term thinking on the part of the airlines... Cut capacity, reduce dependency on loyalty programs, and basically get out of the business of carrying leisure/discretionary passengers. Business travel has been strong enough that they've been successful at removing most if not all leisure-type fares from many markets, and now they'll hoping to follow through with a gradual exit from such huge dependency on FFP's. (Hotels, for what it's worth, seem to be doing the same thing.)

My two questions are this:

- What happens where there genuinely is a paradigm shift of some sorts that causes business travel to drop rapidly? Who knows what it will be...maybe someday videoconferencing won't suck like it typically does now. Maybe some kind of disruptive charter business model will emerge. Maybe something else entirely. Maybe it's as simple as some sort of new financial crisis that we can't envision right now. In any case, it seems like there is some risk in putting your eggs *entirely* in the business-travel basket. "High-value passengers" are great, but does it have to be at the expense of the "regular-value passengers"? I'm thinking of the people who might have bought your standard S or T fare to Orlando 5-6 years ago who are now *completely* excluded from the market, not the hardcore mileage-running Flyertalker looking to maximize RDM.

- As the airlines back away from FFP's, don't they run the risk that the Citibanks and Chases of the world won't want to pay as much for the miles? If credit card customers stop valuing miles the way they do today, they'll expect more to respond to a new CC offer. But since they aren't really *worth* more to Chase, then isn't Chase going to say "Hey United, you devalued the whole program, so next time we renegotiate, we're going to want to pay a lot less." Since selling miles to credit cards is a huge profit center for airlines, isn't there a risk here that they kill the golden goose at the same time they're pushing more and more travelers out of the system? In the credit card game, the highest-value cardmembers might *not* be the same set as the highest-value fliers, as many of those people are using corporate cards for their travel expenses.

Anyway, I'm finding it interesting to see hotels and airlines collectively try to reel in this monster they created 30+ years ago.
The hotel and airline loyalty program benefits will continue to be reduced until they are basically nothing. I'm top tier are 3 hotel chains and if I'm lucky I'll get on a higher floor and they will have a lounge for breakfast. I suspect the next move will be to eliminate CPUs for everyone except GS and 1Ks will be hoping to get upgraded to economy plus (while everyone else will have to pay).
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
In about 10 minutes of research, I found that DL in 2009 assessed "fair value" of its miles at .54 cents each. DAL Revenue Recognition

And that UA's "breakage" rate - the estimate of percentage of miles that will go unredeemed - is 24%. Accounting for Airline FFP.

This last piece is particularly interesting and talks about how airlines can manipulate financial results using their FFP.

I suspect an hour or two reading 10K's and related materials would yield quite a bit more info.

We now know UA's definition of a HVF - someone who averages over 18 cpm.
If United's CASM is around 12 cpm, hoping people 18 cpm is actually not unreasonable. That's a 50% gross profit margin which is typical of a many businesses.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bldr1k
If United's CASM is around 12 cpm, hoping people 18 cpm is actually not unreasonable. That's a 50% gross profit margin which is typical of a many businesses.
Not "unreasonable" in the abstract. Heck, in the abstract, it would be reasonable for UA to target pax generating 50 cpm. The problem is their current product doesn't support anything close to that pricing. It's like JC Penney pretending it's Bloomingdales. Anyone recall how that one worked out for Mr. Johnson? Hint: JC Penney Erases Almost All Traces of Ron Johnson
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I just love this:

"The industry is moving in the direction of rewarding the loyalty of high-value customers."

I would have considered myself a fairly high value customer (1.3 MM, 75k miles a year, about $7,500 PQD) so apparently worthy of Platinum status without CC spend. Yet United just reduced the RDM I will earn each year by flying from about 130k to about 70k. Clearly this change is not rewarding to me. If I am spending $7,500 a year and being given a fairly high level of status how am I not a "high value customer"?
$7,500 is not all that much. My tickets are about $6,400 each and I buy 6 or 8 per year (me and my wife). That's not enough money to get me into GS. There are a whole lot of people who spend a whole lot more than me.

Originally Posted by pinniped
And this is the big issue, IMO. The airlines didn't realize just what they were getting in to when they started this. I read somewhere that if they took the full value of all outstanding miles as a liability on their books, most airlines would be bankrupt.

Of course that's why they make using miles so difficult. There was a court ruling a number of years ago in California that if the airlines made their miles too difficult to use they effectively were making them worth nothing and awarded damages to some passengers. At which point they all made changes in the Ts & Cs to get around that.

The hotel and airline loyalty program benefits will continue to be reduced until they are basically nothing. I'm top tier are 3 hotel chains and if I'm lucky I'll get on a higher floor and they will have a lounge for breakfast. I suspect the next move will be to eliminate CPUs for everyone except GS and 1Ks will be hoping to get upgraded to economy plus (while everyone else will have to pay).
That's odd. I'm Lifetime Platinum with Marriott and I get upgrades rooms, often a suite, virtually every time I stay with them.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:48 am Reason: 3x merge
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by vandrei
And, with the letter to 1Ks insinuating that E+ and checked bag benefits may be dropped for them in the future...
Does anyone have any idea what vandrei is talking about?

This is all the info that I can find, and I never got any e-mail about E+ changing for 1K's or Plat's!

"Advance complimentary access to Economy Plus is available to Premier® Platinum members and higher (for themselves and up to eight companions), and Premier Gold members (for themselves and one companion). Premier Silver members and one companion continue to enjoy complimentary access to Economy Plus seating, when available, upon check-in."

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Absolutely. On my SFO/BKK route if I use points and dollars to upgrade it's $600 plus points each time. 6 upgrades = $3,600 plus a ton of miles. Would I pay $1,000 to get to 1k and get my GPUs? Yup.
Don't worry about it, they don't fly to BKK any more!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:48 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
But...airlines are a commodity business. Low profit margins, having many competitors in the same industry AND customers unwilling to pay for your services when they don't measure up to the competition are a couple telltales.

That's what Smi/J meant when he said they were going to run the new UA like a business. He is single-handedly trying to model UA outside the realm of what it really is and the industry it resides in. The only way for this model to survive in this industry is if it is a low-cost producer and is known among consumers as that. That's why Smi/J made the statement he did at the Shareholders meeting, that it's too early to tell how bad/well we are really doing.

It's obvious what his plan is for this company and all the customer complaining about the cuts while he is still in office won't deter him from taking this company where he wants it to go. Until he gets removed from his chair and is replaced by someone who has a different vision, fasten your seat belts. There are many many more cuts to come.

It's very sad "the smartest man in the room-just ask him" has chosen these two companies to test his far-fetched high-risk, high-reward business principle and being allowed to do it by the BOD. At least the BOD at JC Penney had the intestinal fortitude to remove Ron Johnson, even though they had to bring back the previous CEO. The net is, at least that BOD did something.

Originally Posted by LilAbner

This is all the info that I can find, and I never got any e-mail about E+ changing for 1K's or Plat's!

"Advance complimentary access to Economy Plus is available to Premier® Platinum members and higher (for themselves and up to eight companions), and Premier Gold members (for themselves and one companion). Premier Silver members and one companion continue to enjoy complimentary access to Economy Plus seating, when available, upon check-in."
He's referring to this. This will undoubtedly be the next "change you will like".

What's next: More and better ways to use your miles.
For the fifth year in a row, MileagePlus is ranked #1 in award seat availability among U.S. global carriers*. You already have so many innovative ways to use award miles, from flights with United’s global network to hotel stays to once-in-a-lifetime experiences. And in 2015, you'll have new choices:

Economy Plus® purchases on upcoming flights
Economy Plus annual subscriptions
Checked baggage subscriptions
And more on the way

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:49 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K
On March 1, 2015 RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance, for UA MileagePlus

Everyone should by just 1 share of ual stock and arrive into the next shareholder meeting in Chicago with an AA boarding pass and take the mic one at a time...asking Smi/J to step down!!

What do you think? + 1 if you like this idea
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly
He's referring to this. This will undoubtedly be the next "change you will like".

What's next: More and better ways to use your miles.
For the fifth year in a row, MileagePlus is ranked #1 in award seat availability among U.S. global carriers*. You already have so many innovative ways to use award miles, from flights with United’s global network to hotel stays to once-in-a-lifetime experiences. And in 2015, you'll have new choices:

Economy Plus® purchases on upcoming flights
Economy Plus annual subscriptions
Checked baggage subscriptions
And more on the way
Oh, now I remember, the e-mail came the same time that a I was notified that beginning on March 1st, 2015 my promised "Lifetime" UC, and "Lifetime" Platinum may be rescinded in order to make changes that I will like!

They knew how happy I was to get screwed out of the "Lifetime" Silver Wings B.S. program that I paid over $400.00 to enjoy for about two years before they silently ended it.

These people are truly lower that a whale's shart!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SFO777
So if airlines were like hotels, what hotel chain best resembles UA?
Best Western? Motel 6?
Days Inn.

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I would have considered myself a fairly high value customer (1.3 MM, 75k miles a year, about $7,500 PQD) so apparently worthy of Platinum status without CC spend. Yet United just reduced the RDM I will earn each year by flying from about 130k to about 70k. Clearly this change is not rewarding to me. If I am spending $7,500 a year and being given a fairly high level of status how am I not a "high value customer"?
There will be some FTers who come around to tell you what small potatoes you are compared to them, because corporate flyers who spend $7,500 a month are out there. There's more of you, though (and my UA profile was just like yours until the bottom fell out in 2012), and in aggregate your type counts for a lot. In truth you are exactly the kind of mid-range customer that airlines compete for: influenced by loyalty marketing, bringing the airline consistent revenue and moderate profit, that a smart airline doesn't want to replace with a Kayaker (or several Kayakers), and that United just punched in the teeth.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I think its fair to reward spending..Just buying tickets to sit in a seat and spend very little money is not what I would want to reward if.. I were running an airline..Reward those who spend money with you..Makes sense..
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LilAbner

I read it in a WSJ ad I think, something about being Jeffed up...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:45 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I think its fair to reward spending..Just buying tickets to sit in a seat and spend very little money is not what I would want to reward if.. I were running an airline..Reward those who spend money with you..Makes sense..
Yes, I feel that there would be few on this board who would disagree with this philosophy and it is the way that all FF programs seem to be heading. However, not all of us are able to cough up on F,C, or even Y and B fares but we do the miles, 75K, 100K or more and give our loyality whether paying from our own wallets or OPM and it seems to me that UA had a real opportunity here to introduce an innovative and competitive value-based miles earning program that also recognised not only spend but also miles and loyalty. However, so predictably now, Smisek and his CO cronies hatred of the "over-entitled" were not capable to come up with an innovative and competitive alternative to DL's sledgehammer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.