Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
If supplies continue to stay tight and prices continue to stay high, we'll soon be in for another round of new competitors challenging the majors by expanding supply and driving down prices and/or improving the product. That's the way the economics work.
If only that was true. Unfortunately, the regulatory environment makes the work of the free market really tough these days. The US is nowhere close to seeing a big new airline (Peoplexpress II anyone?), and as much as I like Jetblue, Virgin America and Alaska, I know it will be many years before any of them will really disrupt a UA fortress hub, although I will be rooting for them.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't buy that. Keep in mind this airline has no problem flooding RDMs into the market when the financial returns make sense for the airline. Think of the UA-Chase tie-in. There is no 75k-like cap applicable there, and Chase is UA's biggest external loyalty program customer by far and away.
^ I see a number of good comments about the 75k cap. I think the explanation was alluded to earlier: someone at UA ran the numbers and saw some 1ks earning 250k miles for each ticket, and then reminded management that people buying tickets in that price range are NOT buying them for the miles.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Nor are they stopping you from buying up to 150,000 mile a year which if done with the CC nets you another 300,000.
That's a fun tidbit. I'd never thought of it that way, but you are right. Good point, if I ever need 300,000 MP miles. I won't.

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Would be interesting to know how much Chase pays UA for those miles... if UA is giving them up for less than they cost us to earn by flying for each mile flown.... then there is devaluation, and there will be further devaluation.... any idea where I can dig for information on this? I know this is probably highly proprietary information confined to UA and Chase.

Not saying that I'm a fan of the cap, especially as I transition into int'l travel next year any beyond....
No one knows, because it is a VERY closely guarded secret, but we know that UA/Chase is not a marriage of equals. These card agreements were hashed out when Chase was sitting on a pile of cash, and UA was googling "bankruptcy" and sorely needed the revenue. Chase is getting a heckuva deal.

The real problem is not the earning, it is the billions of unredeemed miles already sitting in all the FF plans. There is simply no way the big 3 legacy carriers could ever redeem all those miles, so they devalue them, and their accounting works on the assumption that most of those miles will never be redeemed.

IOW, do not stockpile miles. Use them, before the next devaluation.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I am 1k. I flew 45 segments last year mostly sfo to asia. I had similar travel the year before and this year is no different. I spend quite a bit of money with them. This announcement has made me really sad. I do not look at other airline tickets but that is going to change. Each year they have devalued their rewards program. This new accrual method pretty much kills their rewards program for me. I'll probably switch to Cathy or Singapore and buy from a company who appreciates my business.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Personally, I value 6 GPU's alone quite a bit north of $1000.
Absolutely. On my SFO/BKK route if I use points and dollars to upgrade it's $600 plus points each time. 6 upgrades = $3,600 plus a ton of miles. Would I pay $1,000 to get to 1k and get my GPUs? Yup.

Different industries, different markets. Might as well compare airlines to dairy farm feed suppliers.

I spent $40 total for four one-night stays at a Marriott in the US -- that was within the past twelve months -- and it earned the account three free nights which were redeemed at the Marriott properties in Sweden.

When was the last time anyone spent $40 on four airline tickets and earned even one free airline ticket issued by a US major?
$40 for 4 nights at a Marriott? Where did you stay. Marriott Barns R Us?
:-)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:50 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:13 pm

Welp.... This makes things really difficult for me. PQD already screwed me over because I fly on *A partners (hate United for international), and this looks like the nail in the coffin. However, Churning is pretty much same as usual
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
$40 for 4 nights at a Marriott?
:-)
Sorry, it was $80 (pre-tax) for the 4 one-night stays / c. $20/night.

It is a nice Courtyard Marriott within jogging distance to the White House.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:32 pm

I just did a back of the envelope calculation, and under the new system I would have earned about 1/4 to 1/3 as many miles, i.e., 75-65% fewer with the new system as I actually did under the current distance system. My UA flights tend to be cross-country or transatlantic. Factor in the recent increase in miles needed for awards too, and going forward, loyalty to UA is worth about 80% less to me than it was a year ago.

Then again, in recent years the feeling I've got from UA is that the loyalty of a measly several times a year, economy class flyer like me is worth 99% less to them than it used to be, so I guess it's all fair...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by morelegroom

You got what you paid for
you got the flexibility of a last minute fare

So you don't agree that a passenger that paid twice to three times as much for the exact same product should be awarded more for that?.
You don't need to jack one group to placate another. Just add a spend RDM calculator to the existing mileage one

You and others make this so binary. Either, not Or, is also an option.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by doctorwine
I am 1k. I flew 45 segments last year mostly sfo to asia. I had similar travel the year before and this year is no different. I spend quite a bit of money with them. This announcement has made me really sad. I do not look at other airline tickets but that is going to change. Each year they have devalued their rewards program. This new accrual method pretty much kills their rewards program for me. I'll probably switch to Cathy or Singapore and buy from a company who appreciates my business.
Good luck with CX going to an UG by bid system (also should be spelt cathAy)
That being said as it is, CX is already a much better airline than UA (I have flown both in Y and J.)
SQ I find is highly overpriced (though in some cases you can get cheaper like the SQ RTW deal and one time through IRROPS BA put me in SQ J rather than CX J. Granted I was flying LHRHKG which commands a higher premium direct...)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You don't need to jack one group to placate another. Just add a spend RDM calculator to the existing mileage one

You and others make this so binary. Either, not Or, is also an option.
Actually I think they do need to jack one to help the other. Reason is simple. If you give one group more and another group less you can make it a zero sum process: It doesn't cost UA any money.

But if you give one group more and don't change the others, the net result is increased costs.

If they have a budget for how much RDM will cost them per year, they are simply changing what percent of that budget each group gets rather than increasing the budge.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
I emailed MP this morning expressing my unhappiness with the introduction of value-based miles earning. Surprised to get the response below back within 5 min! The copy-cat mentality and lack of innovation is quite apparent, not to mention the delusion that this will help UA to be more competitive against other airline programs! Whoa, when your hard and soft product are at the bottom of the heap and you are losing bucks hand over foot, just the right time to pull out the sucker punch.

Hello Mr IainC,

We’re glad to hear from one of our most loyal customers. Not many can say they've flown more than two million miles! Thanks for writing.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your concerns regarding the changes to the 2015 MileagePlus program.
Our goal is to develop an award program that is valuable to our members while remaining competitive with other airline programs. The industry is moving in the direction of rewarding the loyalty of high-value customers. We also want to directly recognize the value of our members when they fly United.

While some travel will offer you fewer award miles with these changes, there will be instances where you will earn more award miles based on your ticket price than you would have earned based on the distance flown.

Keep in mind, there will not be any changes to the 2015 Premier qualification requirements. Premier status will continue to be earned by Premier qualifying flights, segments and dollars (if applicable). Premier qualifying flights will continue to be based on the distance of the flight, including applicable fare class percentages.

We appreciate your loyalty to United and hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business in years to come.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

XXXX

MileagePlus
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:07 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by IainC
I emailed MP this morning expressing my unhappiness with the introduction of value-based miles earning. Surprised to get the response below back within 5 min! The copy-cat mentality and lack of innovation is quite apparent, not to mention the delusion that this will help UA to be more competitive against other airline programs! Whoa, when your hard and soft product are at the bottom of the heap and you are losing bucks hand over foot, just the right time to pull out the sucker punch.

Hello Mr IainC,

We’re glad to hear from one of our most loyal customers. Not many can say they've flown more than two million miles! Thanks for writing.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your concerns regarding the changes to the 2015 MileagePlus program.
Our goal is to develop an award program that is valuable to our members while remaining competitive with other airline programs. The industry is moving in the direction of rewarding the loyalty of high-value customers. We also want to directly recognize the value of our members when they fly United.

While some travel will offer you fewer award miles with these changes, there will be instances where you will earn more award miles based on your ticket price than you would have earned based on the distance flown.

Keep in mind, there will not be any changes to the 2015 Premier qualification requirements. Premier status will continue to be earned by Premier qualifying flights, segments and dollars (if applicable). Premier qualifying flights will continue to be based on the distance of the flight, including applicable fare class percentages.

We appreciate your loyalty to United and hope you will allow us the opportunity to earn your business in years to come.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

XXXX

MileagePlus
It is regretful that United and Mileage Plus do not listen to the dissatisfaction of the changes made to the 2015 program, but they are intent on copying Delta without thought to the consequences of alienating both their elites and general customers.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:11 pm

What's the value of 75,000 DL/UA miles in dollars and cents?
Would be interesting to know how much Chase pays UA for those miles.
Are these things knowable by us here on FT?

Knowing (or having the educated estimates of a quorum of smart FT'ers) these numbers could help peel back the financial basis (at least in UA's bean counters minds) of these changes.

- What does UA keep miles (liability) on it's balance sheet for? (DL?)
- We know what you can buy them for 'retail': .021 (Maximizer at it's lowest) to .033 cpm
- At what price does Chase buy miles from UA? Anybody here have any idea?
- We know redemption value can vary greatly depending upon what the price of the ticket is that you are using miles for. .005 - .075 cpm?
- We know you can use your miles to shop at about .01 cpm

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jun 12, 2014 at 9:18 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Someone should buy Mr $mi$ek a book on Caligula, to read up on how history often repeats itself.
Yeah, if he puts his horse on the Board of Directors I am definitely switching to AA.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I just love this:

"The industry is moving in the direction of rewarding the loyalty of high-value customers."

I would have considered myself a fairly high value customer (1.3 MM, 75k miles a year, about $7,500 PQD) so apparently worthy of Platinum status without CC spend. Yet United just reduced the RDM I will earn each year by flying from about 130k to about 70k. Clearly this change is not rewarding to me. If I am spending $7,500 a year and being given a fairly high level of status how am I not a "high value customer"?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I just love this:

"The industry is moving in the direction of rewarding the loyalty of high-value customers."

I would have considered myself a fairly high value customer (1.3 MM, 75k miles a year, about $7,500 PQD) so apparently worthy of Platinum status without CC spend. Yet United just reduced the RDM I will earn each year by flying from about 130k to about 70k. Clearly this change is not rewarding to me. If I am spending $7,500 a year and being given a fairly high level of status how am I not a "high value customer"?
UA would say, "I knew HVF. HVF was a passenger of mine before switching to AA. aussieinsf, you're no HVF"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.