Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA aircraft at KHI durring terrorist attack?

Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Did anyone else notice what is almost surely a UA aircraft in the AP video footage of the terrorist attack at Karachi yesterday? My link is from the NY Times online story, but it's surely available elsewhere as well. Media reports state that the attack was in the cargo area at least 1 km from the passenger terminal. There's a shot for about 2 seconds at the very start of the footage where one sees 4 aircraft nose-in to a building. The closest one to the camera is clearly a UA aircraft (all the normal livery, tail and fuselage), possibly a 738/9. The third from the camera may also be UA, although it is less clear. Am I hallucinating or does someone else see this as well? And what is that aircraft doing there??

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/wo...k-taliban.html

Last edited by Starman; Jun 9, 2014 at 8:37 am
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It's not - if you view it in full screen you can see that it says "Shaheen" (I can see the S and H clearly the rest is a bit blurry) - the typeface looks to be the similar to United's but it isn't a United plane

EDIT: It's Shaheen I googled airline lists and that name matches what it appears to be
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Shaheen Airlines Tail
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Now I understand where crop circles come from... Guess it's time for a visit to the optometrist. But I have to say the placement and font of the fuselage lettering is extremely similar to UA.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There's also "United Airways" based out of Bangladesh, but they don't fly to KHI (or have a similar logo to UA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airways
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starman
Thanks! Guess it's time for a visit to the optometrist.
I agree!

I watched the video 2x thinking maybe I missed another scene with aircraft in question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.