Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should we buy USA Today ad and express our point of view on UA troubles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billybligh
PLACEHOLDER FOR LINK TO KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN

Smisek INTERVENTION LETTER USA Today AD (feel free to change/morph/add/subract/correct)

Dear Mr. Smisek, over the past two years, we have watched as two great airlines came together only to become a shell of its former selves. You show a 'flyer-friendly' face in the videos every time we fly on your planes and yet you do the exact opposite with your actions. Systemwide, we see your helpless employees ask us to write to you to complain because they have been stripped of the tools to help us, your customer, fly your airline. We hear flight attendants on our flights talk in the galley behind closed curtains about the mess your decisions make. You continue to lie to us to where we do not trust you anymore.

Many of us have regretfully stopped flying United because of your actions. More of us will join the others if you continue down this destructive path. If you continue on this destructive path, we feel it will have irreversible effects on the airline we love so much. We are asking you to save United by stepping down and allow new, more competent management to take it back where it belongs - amongst the top of your competitors.

Your Best Customers

We can only pull it off with a lot of input and collaboration.
Feel free to elaborate.
First, how much ad can we afford, if any?
What are you willing to chip in?
Please add yourselves and the amount.

1. funOFflying $20
2. N1120A $100
3. points_maniac $100
4. davidviolin $50
5. Weez_1000 $100
6. 5khours $100
7. CCIE_Flyer $100
8. riphamilton $25
9. warreng24 $20
10: rittenhousesq $20
11. DrEvil $1,000,000
12. higgsjoa $50
13. NITISH $200
14. CMK10 $25
15. mzrn $100
16. Donjo $100
17. jSmisek $5
18. hungarianhc $50
19. boss315 $100
20. CopperSteve $100
21. UrbaneGent $100
22. Sterndogg $50
23. nikolastojsin $100
24. MatthewLAX $10
25. IAHtraveler $150
26. andersjt $1000
27. Hadrian35 $25
28. TommyC80 $50
29. billybligh $35
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth

We vent our frustration on flyertalk, blogs; we walk away from flying United we vote with our dollars but looks like management is stubbornly trying to fly our beloved airline to the ground and wall street doesn't care or notice.
Unions are already voicing their concerns, should hard core frequent flyers do the same? Should we buy collectively USA Today ad, quarter page? or what ever we can afford and express our grievances. Personally I'm willing to spend $20. Are there anybody else willing to do the same. i think USA Today ad will be noticed by wall street or start a conversation in the media and might have some impact. I'm sick and tired of venting it here, let's try to do something.
I'm going to post the same post on couple of other treads. May be my idea deserves it's own tread!? Let's discuss.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Originally Posted by funOFflying
We vent our frustration on flyertalk, blogs; we walk away from flying United we vote with our dollars but looks like management is stubbornly trying to fly our beloved airline to the ground and wall street doesn't care or notice.
Unions are already voicing their concerns, should hard core frequent flyers do the same? Should we buy collectively USA Today ad, quarter page? or what ever we can afford and express our grievances. Personally I'm willing to spend $20. Are there anybody else willing to do the same. i think USA Today ad will be noticed by wall street or start a conversation in the media and might have some impact. I'm sick and tired of venting it here, let's try to do something.
I'm going to post the same post on couple of other relevant treads. May be my idea deserves it's own tread!? Let's discuss.
Great idea on the USA Today ad. I am in with $100. Maybe open a dedicated thread where everyone can commit an amount.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm going to post the same post on couple of other treads. May be my idea deserves it's own tread!? Let's discuss.
Good idea, you'll only need 7,500 people to sign up at $20 a pop.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I'm in for $50!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I was going to suggest that an ad in Hemispheres would be cheaper, but I notice in their media kit that we may run into problems there:

"All ads are submied to the airline for final approval. Please do not submit ads that are derogatory toward air travel, baggage fees, travel in general or that are offensive in nature and/or content. Ads including, but not limited to, these criteria will be rejected."
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
United could care less about what we think
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Not a bad idea. If the decision is made to move forward with it, I can help handle the media placement. Full page ad is right about $25k at the rate I usually buy it at (which is a huge discount).
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Opinion from a Delta Flyer

I don't have a dog in this fight. I only read the United forum because this slow motion train wreck is interesting as a business case perspective. When it is all over with, I'm sure someone will write it up and teach it as a learning experience in business school.

Even if I flew United, it isn't "my" airlines any more than the San Diego Chargers are "my" football team. I have no ownership in either one, and would not be interested in spending money to help either improve.

If others want to do an ad, I applaud you and say "Go for it"!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K-whatever it worth
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Not a bad idea. If the decision is made to move forward with it, I can help handle the media placement. Full page ad is right about $25k at the rate I usually buy it at (which is a huge discount).
Thank you for feedback, future looks brighter then i thought. Somebody suggested 20X more of what you able to negotiate. Great! That's a good start.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Thank you for feedback, future looks brighter then i thought. Somebody suggested 20X more of what you able to negotiate. Great! That's a good start.
I can get that rate all day long...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:20 am

How much do FT/WSJ charge for a full page?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:45 am

Who would the ad be from-generic concerned pax, FTalkers, our own names, etc? Any chance the ad sponsors could somehow be blacklisted by UA?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I'm in.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I'll contribute.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: Free Agent
Would it be easier to set something up online, such as a kickstarter campaign or something? Got extra money in my pockets this year due to all my award travel, and simply spending much less on UA

P.S. Hemispheres would be the icing on the cake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.