Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should we buy USA Today ad and express our point of view on UA troubles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: billybligh
PLACEHOLDER FOR LINK TO KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN

Smisek INTERVENTION LETTER USA Today AD (feel free to change/morph/add/subract/correct)

Dear Mr. Smisek, over the past two years, we have watched as two great airlines came together only to become a shell of its former selves. You show a 'flyer-friendly' face in the videos every time we fly on your planes and yet you do the exact opposite with your actions. Systemwide, we see your helpless employees ask us to write to you to complain because they have been stripped of the tools to help us, your customer, fly your airline. We hear flight attendants on our flights talk in the galley behind closed curtains about the mess your decisions make. You continue to lie to us to where we do not trust you anymore.

Many of us have regretfully stopped flying United because of your actions. More of us will join the others if you continue down this destructive path. If you continue on this destructive path, we feel it will have irreversible effects on the airline we love so much. We are asking you to save United by stepping down and allow new, more competent management to take it back where it belongs - amongst the top of your competitors.

Your Best Customers

We can only pull it off with a lot of input and collaboration.
Feel free to elaborate.
First, how much ad can we afford, if any?
What are you willing to chip in?
Please add yourselves and the amount.

1. funOFflying $20
2. N1120A $100
3. points_maniac $100
4. davidviolin $50
5. Weez_1000 $100
6. 5khours $100
7. CCIE_Flyer $100
8. riphamilton $25
9. warreng24 $20
10: rittenhousesq $20
11. DrEvil $1,000,000
12. higgsjoa $50
13. NITISH $200
14. CMK10 $25
15. mzrn $100
16. Donjo $100
17. jSmisek $5
18. hungarianhc $50
19. boss315 $100
20. CopperSteve $100
21. UrbaneGent $100
22. Sterndogg $50
23. nikolastojsin $100
24. MatthewLAX $10
25. IAHtraveler $150
26. andersjt $1000
27. Hadrian35 $25
28. TommyC80 $50
29. billybligh $35
Print Wikipost

Should we buy USA Today ad and express our point of view on UA troubles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:40 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Nice idea, but too late for this UA million miler. I voted with my feet and left.

80 segments this year on AA and not a single RJ flight.
Upgrades @ 95%
Hot meals in F
Wifi on 98% of the flights and it works and I do have to spend 10 minutes signing in
Friendly GAs and FAs
Overall great experience this year.
Admirals club that's clean and not crowded with great restrooms.
Free drink and a snack if I don't get upgraded

Not a peep from UA as to where this 150k mile 130 segment customer went? They really don't care.

UA is a lost cause IMHO
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If the target audience is people who already don't fly on UA nor care about UA, what would be the point?
Originally Posted by BearX220
There would be no point in complaining about United to the competition. That's like marching into a Ford showroom and complaining about the GM ignition recalls. What the heck are they supposed to do about it?
I don't know. I was just thinking maybe it could target those who would consider trying UA but then see that ad and reconsider? I don't really agree with this though, I agree with those who vote with their actions. Just fly DL/AA/WN etc and get the better service. UA will see passengers leave in droves and then act quickly to clean up their image.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by airplanegod
UA will see passengers leave in droves and then act quickly to clean up their image.
I'm sorry but, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer

Not a peep from UA as to where this 150k mile 130 segment customer went? They really don't care.
Even pmUA didn't utter a word when a years-long GS just somehow vanished. They would soft land to 1K, I'll give them that much. Does CO do that now?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I'm sorry but, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Wishful thinking on my part
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:45 pm

A few thoughts:
  • If going to do an ad, do WSJ.
  • If you do WSJ, I'll contribute.
  • I think the better idea is to find that guy who wrote a song when his guitar was smashed. Give him a few bucks to write another song and have him post it. You'll reach a lot more people and then other outlets will report that discontent
  • I agree with previous poster that momentum is building and now is the time
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
popcorn please, table 1.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I guess it makes some sort of perverse sense. United has become the "USA Today" of airlines.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I guess it makes some sort of perverse sense. United has become the "USA Today" of airlines.

Either put the ad in the WSJ or better yet, put one billboard up in all hub cities, the local media will grab the story and it is a win-win. Exposure!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
All we need is one really generous donor.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
All we need is one really generous donor.
Perhaps Richard Anderson? Or someone from DL. Or AA/UA.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kettle1
put one billboard up in all hub cities, the local media will grab the story and it is a win-win.
Unfortunately an effective billboard has a maximum of seven words. I know the committee will choose carefully.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm in ($50) as a completely disgruntled pmUA flyer still held to UA by the SFO fortress. I think the very idea that a group of folks amassed the contributions at $20-100 each to take out an ad could be very effective - the publicity from this would be terrific. This garners more publicity than grumbling to an internet board. The target audience is the board who could vote Smisek out. WSJ would be better than USA Today, but we need to compare the rates.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:52 am
Suspended

Would love to see a big ad in the NYT or WSJ that simply reads "WE MISS U" with the "U" being the Tulip.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Unfortunately an effective billboard has a maximum of seven words. I know the committee will choose carefully.
I'll make it in under 7 words:

No Limes, garbage service.

Poor Management.

Win-win. 6 words - it works.

Want 3 words

UA currently SUX.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by enviroian
United could care less about what we think
That's because almost everyone posting here is a plat, 1K or GS. Why should they care......those of us complaining are still shoveling money right into their pockets. I don't care how the stock is doing, did they make or lose money, etc. I don't think they really believe they are losing Elites (Elites that are profitable at least) & if they do lose some Elites, so what, they just get a few new ones from AA/DL to replace them. That's the way it is and the way unfortunately it always will be. UA needs a rude awakening in order to get its house in order. The current management has a closed mind set. Until that changes (and it ain't changing any time soon), nothing will change.....full page ad or not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.