Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Odds at IAD-ICN itinerary Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
I am flying IAD-ICN on a Sunday in mid-August and looking to upgrade with a mix of miles and cash, as sadly, I'm out of SWU. Every flight permutation I've looked at is R0 so nothing will upgrade instantly and I'm down to playing upgrade lottery.

Which of these transpac flight legs (cuz, really, these are the only ones that matter) do you think would have the best odds of clearing?

IAD-NRT
IAH-NRT
SFO-NRT
SFO-ICN
ORD-PEK
EWR-PEK
IAD-PEK

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I've just been told I could get SWU/GPU sponsorship. So which has better odds: SWU/GPU or Miles & Cash?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by wayan
I am flying IAD-ICN on a Sunday in mid-August and looking to upgrade with a mix of miles and cash, as sadly, I'm out of SWU. Every flight permutation I've looked at is R0 so nothing will upgrade instantly and I'm down to playing upgrade lottery.

Which of these transpac flight legs (cuz, really, these are the only ones that matter) do you think would have the best odds of clearing?

IAD-NRT
IAH-NRT
SFO-NRT
SFO-ICN
ORD-PEK
EWR-PEK
IAD-PEK

Thanks in advance.
SFO-icn usually has plenty confirmable at booking. (I just chose a random mid-August date of 8/13, and it's r9).

Make sure you look at only SFO-icn in a dummy booking. Otherwise, if you search from IAD, it may not show properly b
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Try Aug 9 or 10. Nutting R0 in ex-SFO-anything.

Last edited by wayan; Jun 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70
SFO-icn usually has plenty confirmable at booking.
For Y-> C, perhaps.

For C->F? Probably not likely within the next year, at least for M-R flights.

Last edited by hobo13; Jun 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm Reason: R: Thursday....
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah that date seems pretty empty across the board.

Don't forget to monitor LAX - NRT and DEN - NRT (I checked and both are R0) if you aren't buying this second - both are 787s
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Try Aug 9 or 10. Nutting R0 in ex-SFO-anything.
That's a very busy weekend for some reason. I just bought a business class ticket SFO-ICN-SFO returning that Saturday, and my only choices were UAL and Singapore (I paid the extra for SQ J for those who read the other thread). Asiana and Korean were sold out in J, and I think may have also been sold out in Y, along with SQ in Y as well. UAL had lots of Y and J seats left.

Not sure what's causing the high demand, maybe end of school summer holidays or something, but it is a very busy weekend to/from ICN for whatever reason.

Bob
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
SFO-NRT and IAH-NRT have plenty up R space on 8/10.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:02 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
If you can schedule your flights on a Tuesday or Wednesday, there may be more opportunities for upgrades. Otherwise, do avoid Fridays & Saturdays, if at all possible.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
ex-SFO>NRT is a pretty easy one to get, Either flight typically. I would go with the IAH>NRT before SFO>NRT though based on C layout. I am not one for the buy-up to GF so the 772 from IAH is ideal for me in that the middle becasue both seats have aisle access.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

So went with IAD-NRT direct routing, but NRT-ICN leg is OZ. Can't remember if that effects my upgrade cost/probability. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
SFO-NRT and IAH-NRT have plenty up R space on 8/10.
You have better luck than I. Couldn't find any R space unless I wanted to fly to China first. And not really - got an ex-wife over there and happy to keep my distance.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So went with IAD-NRT direct routing, but NRT-ICN leg is OZ. Can't remember if that effects my upgrade cost/probability. Any thoughts?
No it doesn't matter at all.

But you waitlisted rather than confirm into available R? Curious.

You have better luck than I. Couldn't find any R space unless I wanted to fly to China first.
That's because you're not searching by segment.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
But you waitlisted rather than confirm into available R? Curious.
Well there wasn't R available, so when ticket confirms, I will be

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's because you're not searching by segment.
Actually, I was. I have .bomb on expert mode and looked at each segment individually, and checked Fare Class link. R0 each time.

Please share your screen shot where you are seeing R and I'll jump on that flight.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Please share your screen shot where you are seeing R and I'll jump on that flight.
I looked immediately after reading zrs70's post and saw exactly the same thing - plenty of R on SFO-NRT and IAH-NRT

I just checked again and UA1 (IAH-NRT) on 8/10 is R9. UA837 and UA 853 (SFO-NRT) on 8/10 are both R9.

If you don't see that, you're not searching correctly.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Huh. Ya learn something every day, like ticking that little "Awards Upgrade" box and the scrolling all the way down till you see a price/miles ticket instead of stopping when you see the first dozen "no upgrade" red lined flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.