Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Guide to UA Crew Rest Seats -- and do they get released for normal bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phkc070408
**** Needs updating ****
General Information
[Describe conditions for when pilot/FA crew rest seats must be reserved, what's provided by the contract, etc.]

737-800 Micronesia
Pilot: 1AB (2AB are blocked due to extensive recline of 1AB)
FA:

757-200 Intl
Pilot: 4A Or 4B
FA: 40DEF

767-300 3-Class (High J/P+)
Pilot: 1A???
FA: 43AB 44AB

767-300 3-Class (Low J/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

767-400 3-Class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Intl 3-class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Hawaii
Pilot: 1AB
FA: Seats 5AB. Available on short hops (including West Coast to/from Hawaii); available for assignment at check-in. Normal F seats with increased recline.

777-300 Intl (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

787-8/9
Pilot: (Bunks.)
FA: (Bunks.)

787-10
Pilot: Bunks
FA: Bunks

Below configs no longer exist

767-300 2-Class (Polaris)
Pilot:
FA: 40AB, 41AB

767-300 2-Class (Non-Polaris)
Pilot: 6D
FA: 16AB, 17AB

767-400
Pilot: 7D
FA: 43KL, 44KL

777-200 Intl 2-class (sCO)
Pilot: One bunk. If there is a second relief officer, he/she gets a BF seat.
FA: Rest area is above the passenger compartment in the rear of coach.

777-200 Intl 3-class (sUA)
Pilot: suite 2A for XQ planes, 2A & 2K for XJ planes.
FA: XQ/XJ: Rest area in cargo level (entry at lavs behind E+); XD: Rows 29 and 30 of E+.
Print Wikipost

Guide to UA Crew Rest Seats -- and do they get released for normal bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
TATL 757-200 Pilot rest seats?

Interesting experience flying IAD-LIS on a 757-200 last week...

I had a GPU waitlisted, and as I got to the gate just before boarding things looked good - I was #1 on the list, 14 seats booked/14 checked in, +1 blocked (presumably for Pilot rest). Oddly enough the app did show all 16 seats as taken on the seat map...

They were clearing standys as I got to the gate, so I went up and asked if they had done upgrades yet, only to be told that business was full. We chatted for a moment while she checked, but confirmed it was full, even though the app still showed 14+1. So resigned to sitting up the back I went and lined up.

Then I noticed the display at the gate showed Business as FULL, but also only showed 14 seats in the cabin. 4A/B were completely missing off the seat map on the display (although they showed on the app). When we started boarding I mentioned this to the gate agent - more in passing than anything - and she looked a little surprised but basically just shrugged.

About 10 minutes later, the boarding pass on my app changed to 4A, and a while after that they gave me a new boarding pass for 4A.

We ended up sitting at the gate for over an hour due to storms closing the ramp, and eventually the GA came on and gave me a new boarding pass for 2A - apparently the previous passenger there had changed to a different flight due to the delay. 4A and 4B went out empty (from memory there were some others on the upgrade list, but I think they were all NRSA), and from what I could see when de-planing 4A had been used as crew rest, and 4B remained unused.

On the return flight it looked to be exactly the same. I'd already cleared, but nobody appeared to be upgraded into 4A/4B and they went out empty - although again I think it was only NRSA's on the list. Again, 4A appears to be used during the flight, but 4B was clearly unused when we deplaned.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Correct, 4B is not to be occupied by a NRSA when 4A is used for crew rest.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
stupidity is it Union rules?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is IAD-LIS long enough to require crew rest?

You'll see this blocking when they use the 752 for Hawaii routes, causes confirmed F pax to think they're going to be bumped b/c they can't get assigned seats.. The seats open for assignment at T-48.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by clubord
Correct, 4B is not to be occupied by a NRSA when 4A is used for crew rest.
But does that mean it also can't be assigned for an upgrade? I'm presuming that if I hadn't mentioned it then I wouldn't have been given an upgrade at all, given that the cabin was showing as full and that seat was showing as not existing.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is IAD-LIS long enough to require crew rest?.
Apparently, yes. Both the outbound and the return had 3 pilots. The actual flight time for the return hovers around 8 hours, not including ground time.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mellon
stupidity is it Union rules?
You might look at Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 rest areas as designated by the FAA and understand how each is relevant to flight duty periods.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...r/AC_117-1.pdf
Often1 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. FAA rules for your safety. Rest means rest, not having a fellow employee chatting you up.
Kacee, ajGoes and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Per the pilot agreement, 4B is to be the very last seat on the plane assigned to a revenue passenger.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
Per the pilot agreement, 4B is to be the very last seat on the plane assigned to a revenue passenger.
And, IIRC, it can only be allocated to a paid passenger, not an upgrade.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And, IIRC, it can only be allocated to a paid passenger, not an upgrade.
Interesting. So it sounds like the gate agent did me a big favor and the pilots a disservice by allocating me 4A as an upgrade.

In the end it all worked out due to the move to 2A after the delay, but still...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I will be flying on a 777 and I would always select 6A as 6B was the seat for the pilot. I liked 6A because most of the time there was no one in the seat next to me.

I have a flight in November where they moved me from 6A to 6E (a dreaded 4 across seat), so I moved myself to 6K but I will now have someone next to me for the whole flight. It is a day time flight so does not worry me as much climbing over someone to get into the aisle.

I was wondering if this is a permanent change as I have a flight booked for March and both 6A and 6B are blocked. It could be that someone already reserved 6A, but as I was moved from my selected seat I am thinking this may be a permanent change on the 777. At this stage it us still the 2-4-2 configuration.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was on 3-class 777 over the weekend flying from ORD to PEK. Seat 1A and Seat 2A were used as crew rest. 6B was taken by a regular passenger.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I was on 3-class 777 over the weekend flying from ORD to PEK. Seat 1A and Seat 2A were used as crew rest. 6B was taken by a regular passenger.
That's why the only time I chose seat 6A (I don't generally like window seats due to the difficulty in getting out) is when First Class was totally booked well in advance. Many times on my flights I have seen them giving the 6B seat to a regular passenger at the gate.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:25 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
IAD-LHR is blocked at 7:10. Is 2A on a PMUA 3-class 777 blocked for crew rest on a flight this “short”?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:05 am

767-400 Economy Crew Rest

Good Morning All!
Quick question as I went through the “Crew Rest” thread but couldn’t find the definitive answer. What are the crew rest seats in the 764? We have a EWR-SJU flight coming up on Thursday and I’d like nab them on checkin if they show open. I think they’re row 43 and 44 but not sure of the right or left side!
Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.