Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Guide to UA Crew Rest Seats -- and do they get released for normal bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phkc070408
**** Needs updating ****
General Information
[Describe conditions for when pilot/FA crew rest seats must be reserved, what's provided by the contract, etc.]

737-800 Micronesia
Pilot: 1AB (2AB are blocked due to extensive recline of 1AB)
FA:

757-200 Intl
Pilot: 4A Or 4B
FA: 40DEF

767-300 3-Class (High J/P+)
Pilot: 1A???
FA: 43AB 44AB

767-300 3-Class (Low J/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

767-400 3-Class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Intl 3-class (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

777-200 Hawaii
Pilot: 1AB
FA: Seats 5AB. Available on short hops (including West Coast to/from Hawaii); available for assignment at check-in. Normal F seats with increased recline.

777-300 Intl (Polaris/P+)
Pilot:
FA:

787-8/9
Pilot: (Bunks.)
FA: (Bunks.)

787-10
Pilot: Bunks
FA: Bunks

Below configs no longer exist

767-300 2-Class (Polaris)
Pilot:
FA: 40AB, 41AB

767-300 2-Class (Non-Polaris)
Pilot: 6D
FA: 16AB, 17AB

767-400
Pilot: 7D
FA: 43KL, 44KL

777-200 Intl 2-class (sCO)
Pilot: One bunk. If there is a second relief officer, he/she gets a BF seat.
FA: Rest area is above the passenger compartment in the rear of coach.

777-200 Intl 3-class (sUA)
Pilot: suite 2A for XQ planes, 2A & 2K for XJ planes.
FA: XQ/XJ: Rest area in cargo level (entry at lavs behind E+); XD: Rows 29 and 30 of E+.
Print Wikipost

Guide to UA Crew Rest Seats -- and do they get released for normal bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Let me guess. You're in 6A?
Should have realized... Pilot test seat! So far, still empty. But fa explained pilot may come.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:57 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kacee
I flew TPAC in 6A recently with 6B empty. It was one of my nicest UA experiences. Having that extra space makes a huge difference. The crew was outstanding. I didn't eat anything.
+1. LAX-SYD in 6A = about as good as it gets in UA J.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Should have realized... Pilot test seat! So far, still empty. But fa explained pilot may come.
Generally, one of the pilots might drop in long enough to watch a movie or eat a meal. They have crew rest bunks that are better for sleeping than the J seats (which is why they don't waste an F seat on pilot rest), so those are about the only reasons why a pilot will use 6B.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:38 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by QBK
+1. LAX-SYD in 6A = about as good as it gets in UA J.

Generally, one of the pilots might drop in long enough to watch a movie or eat a meal. They have crew rest bunks that are better for sleeping than the J seats (which is why they don't waste an F seat on pilot rest), so those are about the only reasons why a pilot will use 6B.
Only if you are a vampire are they good for sleeping. i'd hate to sleep in one of those...awfully clausterphobic
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
The Bunks (777/747) are pretty much single bed size, they make for a better bed then most any F seat does
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: mileage plus
UA 854 / Crew Rest opened

hi all,

I searched and failed so I hope this is info is not hiding from my skills.

UA854 from IAH-LIM ... Rows 16, 17 (A&B) were blocked for Crew rest and now the day before are open.

Should I nab them? Do I risk getting a middle when this is corrected?

any experience greatly appreciated.

-Joe
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I would say fire away. I don't think IAH-LIM requires crew rest.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone done a redeye in seats 5AB on a Hawaii bird 772? I have other seats already on a redeye from HNL to SFO coming up but wondering if I should try to grab 5AB for better sleep if it becomes available closer to departure. Do the crew rest seats open up at time of check in or when seats get turned over to the gate?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Why do the pmCO 777s have overhead rest bunks, but the pmUA 777s do not? The rest bunks are usually behind the cockpit or over the aft Y cabin, they don't occupy cargo or revenue seating. Seems an odd choice, esp with continued deliveries too.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:47 am

Just to report that on the Hawaii Configured 777, seats 5A and 5B are released for online check in when you're 24 hour window opens up on UA 200/UA 201 between GUM and HNL. 99 percent of the time I'm able to get 5B and can attest to the increased recline. It is near the galley and lavatories but a good pair of noise canceling head sets and an eye mask can fix this.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trust77
Just to report that on the Hawaii Configured 777, seats 5A and 5B are released for online check in when you're 24 hour window opens up on UA 200/UA 201 between GUM and HNL. 99 percent of the time I'm able to get 5B and can attest to the increased recline. It is near the galley and lavatories but a good pair of noise canceling head sets and an eye mask can fix this.
Good to know, thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by johnden
Why do the pmCO 777s have overhead rest bunks, but the pmUA 777s do not? The rest bunks are usually behind the cockpit or over the aft Y cabin, they don't occupy cargo or revenue seating. Seems an odd choice, esp with continued deliveries too.
Is a long story, but UA actually has lots of crew rest. Not all birds were originally ordered with it, and for that I would blame it on the confusion and chaos that surrounds 1) being the launch carrier, 2) cost cutting in the face of looming bankruptcy rather than a decision to never have it. Also, since pmCO was ordering so few aircraft Boeing was probably unwilling to offer much of a discount for creating two specs (the overhead of the different versions outweighing the savings on the bunks themselves).

Originally (prior to the mid 2000's), the only option for FA rest is to use cargo space for a crew rest "pod", directly impacting cargo capacity, IIRC pilot bunks were originally offered in a 1-above and/or 1 below configuration as well. By the mid-2000's the option for all crew to be overhead was available (following its development for the 777-300ER and 777-200LR). As far as I know either type of overhead crew rest is not an option that can be retrofitted (for structural or economical reasons).

None of the A-model 777-222 aircraft pmUA ordered had them (if they were even offered) and their use today doesn't really require them. Fleet XA (noses 23xx and 25xx) are the Hawaii config while and the XD fleet (noses 24xx) are the 3-class config and used on shorter TATL routes that won't require crew rest. Of 22 delivered 19 remain in service with sUA.

Next* came 18 777-222ER aircraft which were at least partially order conversions (Boeing made a big push for them following the development of the 200ER program, and UA had originally ordered 34 A-models with options for 34 more) and also not configured with the pod (quite possibly a necessary carryover from the conversion for either contractual or timing purposes). Ten of these, designated XJ, continue to not have the pod and are numbered 27xx. Meanwhile, 8 have since had the crew pod added but not pilot rest (presumably due to feasibility/viability). They join fleet code XQ (below) and can be recognized by the fact that their nose numbers 28xx do not match their tail numbers N7XXUA.

In addition to the 8 above there are 25 other XQ birds. 9 28xx noses (with a N2xxUA tail) were originally delivered with crew pods (but without pilot bunks) and remain in this config. The remaining 16 (20xx nose) were delivered with both pilot bunks and crew pods.

Meanwhile, sCO originally ordered pilot bunks and crew pods for their pre-9/11 batch of 777-224ER aircraft. When the last four were delivered later in the decade it appears they switched to overhead FA rest**.

*Technically 6 777-222 aircraft came after the 777-222ER ones started. I can only speculate, but presumably Boeing had some sort of logistical incentive to sell a few more A-model's and United had the incentive to take the discount Boeing would likely offer.
**This point is not publicly documented AFAIK and there's no fleet/nose# differentiation to guide me. That said I've seen at least one sCO bird with the steps up to the overhead.

Last edited by wto605; Apr 20, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Right now there are no seats blocked in GF for SFO-LHR-LAX and I'd really like row 2 window. Is 2K safe or should I just pick row 1?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:37 am

E+ seats near crew rest?

Booked ORD-FRA in Sep on UA907. Seat map shows the version 1 777 with crew rest seats at the middle back of E+. We are currently holding 26 DG with open middle. Would same seats in row 27 be better, or too close to crew rest chatter behind us?
Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by wto605
Meanwhile, sCO originally ordered pilot bunks and crew pods for their pre-9/11 batch of 777-224ER aircraft. When the last four were delivered later in the decade it appears they switched to overhead FA rest**.

. . .

**This point is not publicly documented AFAIK and there's no fleet/nose# differentiation to guide me. That said I've seen at least one sCO bird with the steps up to the overhead.
The sCO 777s originally came with just pilot bunks immediately aft of the cockpit on main deck, port side. Flight attendants had cabin seats for rest (I think 4BF and 6Y, but I could be mistaken).

In the mid 2000s, a pair of new 777s came with a F/A bunk module over the 3L/R area and the rest of the fleet was eventually retrofit.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nosnerk
hi all,

I searched and failed so I hope this is info is not hiding from my skills.

UA854 from IAH-LIM ... Rows 16, 17 (A&B) were blocked for Crew rest and now the day before are open.

Should I nab them? Do I risk getting a middle when this is corrected?

any experience greatly appreciated.

-Joe
I have an upcoming flight, IAH-EWR, on sUA763 (two class). I selected 18A. Is there any advantage of these crew rest seats over 18A/B because these crew rest seats are now open. It is only a 3hr flight. I can survive on any seat. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.