FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Just short of next status level, before my next flight will UA grant early status? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1583165-just-short-next-status-level-before-my-next-flight-will-ua-grant-early-status.html)

gsully224 Jun 5, 2014 10:27 pm

Just short of next status level, before my next flight will UA grant early status?

removed

mahasamatman Jun 5, 2014 10:30 pm

You can ask, but don't pin your hopes on it. The worst that happens is they say no.

Hadrian35 Jun 5, 2014 10:37 pm

They are bound and likely to do nothing for you. It's silver, make the effort or what's the point if you don't fly enough anyhow.

worldwidedreamer Jun 5, 2014 10:52 pm

Silver is not really worth it anyways.

mahasamatman Jun 5, 2014 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 22986578)
Silver is not really worth it anyways.

For ORD-GRU, getting a 25% mileage bonus and E+ is nothing to sneeze at.

Duke787 Jun 5, 2014 11:01 pm

Find a cheap / short one-way and buy the PQMs and then cancel the flight within 24 hours. That'll get you the miles necessary to get up to Silver before the trip.

steveman518 Jun 5, 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22986581)

^ Makes a world of difference-qualifying for silver <48 hours before HKG-ORD made a huge difference for me. Perhaps 25% mileage bonus for only one flight isn't a big deal for some of you where that would be a drop in the bucket, but not all of us are like you :p

Tchiowa Jun 5, 2014 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by gsully224 (Post 22986504)
By the time I fly ORD-GRU in August, I'll be 36 PQM short of Premier Silver status (I've already met the PQD requirement). Is there any chance that United would "round up" my PQM and grant me Premier Silver status before my GRU trip? I've heard of this happening for members who are re-qualifying for an elite level at the end of the year, but I'm not sure if it would apply in my case. Thank you for your insight!

You can buy an award accelerator on one leg of an earlier flight, but they may not be worth the cost.

TennisNoob Jun 6, 2014 1:10 am

Originally Posted by steveman518 (Post 22986606)
^ Makes a world of difference-qualifying for silver <48 hours before HKG-ORD made a huge difference for me. Perhaps 25% mileage bonus for only one flight isn't a big deal for some of you where that would be a drop in the bucket, but not all of us are like you :p

Any status is better than no status
The accelerator is a good advise

Kacee Jun 6, 2014 1:20 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22986581)

Absolutely. E+ on the GRU flight probably costs a couple hundred bucks RT.

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 22986601)
Find a cheap / short one-way and buy the PQMs and then cancel the flight within 24 hours. That'll get you the miles necessary to get up to Silver before the trip.

The only question is whether UA will sell a small enough amount for this to make sense.

OP, if you have other UA flights scheduled in the intervening months, look into using SDC ($75 without status) to do a routing change that will give you the extra miles. For example, if you're flying LAX-IAH, you can SDC (assuming fare class availability) and route LAX-SFO-IAH and score more than enough extra miles to make silver.

aacharya Jun 6, 2014 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22986940)

OP, if you have other UA flights scheduled in the intervening months, look into using SDC ($75 without status) to do a routing change that will give you the extra miles. For example, if you're flying LAX-IAH, you can SDC (assuming fare class availability) and route LAX-SFO-IAH and score more than enough extra miles to make silver.

Not the cheapest option for the OP. Buying one of the super short flights and then using award accelerator will cost far less than $75. And avoids an extra leg. If he were shooting for Gold or higher SEC makes more sense.

eunduklee Jun 6, 2014 8:36 am

in all honesty; they should give you a"soft landing" but knowing united dont count on it. just to a cheap mr!

Plusflyer Jun 6, 2014 8:48 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 22987496)
Not the cheapest option for the OP. Buying one of the super short flights and then using award accelerator will cost far less than $75.

$75 at about $0.13 per mile is about 580 miles. Can you purchase that few accelerator miles nowadays? Last year, I was offered exactly the trip mileage, now I get it rounded up, sometimes way up.

Kacee Jun 6, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Plusflyer (Post 22988324)
$75 at about $0.13 per mile is about 580 miles. Can you purchase that few accelerator miles nowadays? Last year, I was offered exactly the trip mileage, now I get it rounded up, sometimes way up.

Exactly. I never get premier accelerator options that cost less than a couple hundred bucks. For SFO-SAN this weekend, the minimum I'm being offered is 3000 miles at $270 (in addition to $78 for the RDMs). Which is why I suggested SDC instead.

tornado163 Jun 6, 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Plusflyer (Post 22988324)

On a EWR-IAD flight, I was offered 500 premier accelerator miles for $57 (total including the award accelerator), which would be cheaper than a SDC. At the time, I assumed they rounded the flight distance up to the 500 mile minimum for the offer.