FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA vs SQ Biz SFO - Seoul (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1582871-ua-vs-sq-biz-sfo-seoul.html)

bpratt Jun 4, 2014 11:17 pm

UA vs SQ Biz SFO - Seoul

For the dates I have to travel this summer, it's approx $1500 extra for business class on the Singapore non stops vs the United ones (Asiana is sold out). $4000 vs $5500.

Any thoughts on if it's worth the extra dollars? I'm leaning towards no, as the UAL hard product is reasonably competitive and a $1500 premium is steep, but I haven't flown United or Singapore J to Asia in at least 6-7 years, so my experiences are substantially out of date.

Thanks for any input,
Bob

olouie Jun 4, 2014 11:21 pm

IMHO its worth the extra money if its $1500 difference roundtrip. SQ service is better and the hard product is better as well.

txflyer77 Jun 4, 2014 11:23 pm

I haven't flown SFO-ICN on SQ but I have flown the same config on other SQ routes and I recently flew ICN-SFO on UA in C.

SQ is far, far better than UA but I don't think I could bring myself to spend an extra $1500 for it, especially since you'll still be getting a lie-flat seat on UA. Upper deck on 747 isn't a bad place to be.

For me, I think SQ would have to be within $500 to sway me, but that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

Air Houston Jun 4, 2014 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 22980960)
IMHO its worth the extra money if its $1500 difference roundtrip. SG service is better and the hard product is better as well.

You probably mean SQ. (SG is SpiceJet, a carrier based in India)

Kacee Jun 4, 2014 11:28 pm

UA. You'll be on a 744. They're pretty ragged around the edges. Jam-packed 2-4-2 downstairs, a more civilized 2-2 on the upper deck. No direct aisle access so you either have to climb over or be climbed over for lav access. Seat itself is pretty comfortable, AVOD is decent. Food and FA service are highly variable, from not very good to reasonably ok. Wine and liquor selection is poor. 744s are not particularly reliable, lots of mx delays and cancels.

SQ: The 77W. 1-2-1 in J. Beautiful cabin, a much more luxe setting. Seat is very wide and private, though tall people can find it uncomfortable and it's a pita to turn into a bed. Food, service, beverages, and AVOD all several cuts above UA. A much more luxurious experience all around. Overall, more reliable than UA, except you're not in a hub, so if something goes wrong there will not be a spare aircraft handy.

Really depends how much value you place on the extras you would get with SQ.

olouie Jun 4, 2014 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 22980976)
You probably mean SQ. (SG is SpiceJet, a carrier based in India)

Yep - typo :p

Muckus Jun 4, 2014 11:31 pm

I agree that Singapore has much, much, much better service, food, drinks, etc. Just so you know, though, the Singapore business seats are very tight for sleeping if you're over 6 feet. I am 6' 3'' and cannot fully extend my legs. I only fly them if I am guaranteed the bulkhead seat, which has a few more inches of room (which, for me, is enough).

olouie Jun 4, 2014 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Muckus (Post 22980995)
I agree that Singapore has much, much, much better service, food, drinks, etc. Just so you know, though, the Singapore business seats are very tight for sleeping if you're over 6 feet. I am 6' 3'' and cannot fully extend my legs. I only fly them if I am guaranteed the bulkhead seat, which has a few more inches of room (which, for me, is enough).

Yep, but strangely I find United's lie flats are a bit small if you are a bit heavier or wider in the shoulders. The way the 744 business seats are designed its hard to lie flat on your back so I always end up on my side.

Either way, its a good choice to have.

bpratt Jun 4, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks for the quick responses already. I'm just under 5'10", so seat length isn't an issue either way for lie flats.
I remember on the OLD 747 configs row 15 upstairs had basically infinite leg room in front of it, is that no longer applicable now that some rows face forwards and other backwards? The "climbing over someone" to get to the aisle approach (or being climbed over) is definitely worth something to avoid, but are there no longer any rows where the exit door space lets you avoid that?

Kacee Jun 4, 2014 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by bpratt (Post 22981017)
Thanks for the quick responses already. I'm just under 5'10", so seat length isn't an issue either way for lie flats.
I remember on the OLD 747 configs row 15 upstairs had basically infinite leg room in front of it, is that no longer applicable now that some rows face forwards and other backwards? The "climbing over someone" to get to the aisle approach (or being climbed over) is definitely worth something to avoid, but are there no longer any rows where the exit door space lets you avoid that?

No. (Unless you're reasonably limber and adventurous, in which case you can "shoot the gap" between the fuselage and the seat from window seats 15A, 15K, and 14A. People will look at you like you're totally insane though.)

rkaradi Jun 5, 2014 12:04 am

SQ by 1000 miles. If you can afford the difference there is no question to answer here.

UA-NYC Jun 5, 2014 7:02 am

Nobody's mentioned it...since SQ isn't a JV partner, you won't get the 50% class of service bonus for paid biz, nor the elite RDM match.

Just another consideration to the OP.

UTex09 Jun 5, 2014 7:15 am

As others have mentioned, SQ's hard product is a cut above UA. The soft product is roughly 47 cuts above UA in a totally different galaxy. Is 12 hours worth $1500? I'd consider it. If it was $1000-$1200 I'd say it's a slam dunk yes, but I would probably take $1500 too.

travelinmanS Jun 5, 2014 7:44 am

UA vs SQ Biz SFO - Seoul

Are you paying or is your employer paying. If you're paying then go for it, if you're employer is paying then it's not the wisest decision.

SunLover Jun 5, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22982216)
Nobody's mentioned it...since SQ isn't a JV partner, you won't get the 50% class of service bonus for paid biz, nor the elite RDM match.

Or BIS miles if the OP is concerned with building towards UA 2014 elite status or lifetime MM status. If it was my dime I would say the price difference is not worth it as UA upper deck 747 is a good enough ride. If someone else was picking up the tab I would still consider the above.

SunLover