UA vs SQ Biz SFO - Seoul

Old Jun 5, 14, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't see the $100+/hour being worth the price. Probably not even at half that price.

The SQ seat is wider and the food is better. But that's a steep up-charge to get there.
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by UTex09 View Post
As others have mentioned, SQ's hard product is a cut above UA. The soft product is roughly 47 cuts above UA in a totally different galaxy. Is 12 hours worth $1500? I'd consider it. If it was $1000-$1200 I'd say it's a slam dunk yes, but I would probably take $1500 too.
Given the pricing it looks like that price may be roundtrip so really like 24 hours worth for $1500. You can get that roundtrip non-stop on United for $4-5k pretty much all summer. And down into the mid $3K r/t late august/september.
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:56 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Muckus View Post
I agree that Singapore has much, much, much better service, food, drinks, etc. Just so you know, though, the Singapore business seats are very tight for sleeping if you're over 6 feet. I am 6' 3'' and cannot fully extend my legs. I only fly them if I am guaranteed the bulkhead seat, which has a few more inches of room (which, for me, is enough).
+1....the same boat for me. If I can't get it, then I fly another alternative (CX, OZ, JL) if I can't get it.

SQ J is far better than UA J but at the extra $$$$'s can make it a tougher decision.
Old Jun 5, 14, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by goingbananas View Post
+1....the same boat for me. If I can't get it, then I fly another alternative (CX, OZ, JL) if I can't get it.
If OZ J were available at the same price (or cheaper) as UA J then I would have a decision to make, as it would be hard to pass on a superior product at an equivalent cost. Said another way: if it was a reward ticket it would be a slam dunk for OZ.

SunLover
Old Jun 5, 14, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
$500 more perhaps if you don't care about PQM/RDM/PQD. $1500 IMO too much to justify flying SQ to SEL. I have taken the 747 to SEL from SFO last year and the upper deck was o.k.
Old Jun 5, 14, 6:44 pm

I would also say that if you don't have the opportunity to flew business often just spring for SQ and have a great time. If this was a regular thing then its harder to justify spending the $1500 over and over.
Old Jun 5, 14, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by olouie View Post
...just spring for SQ and have a great time. ...
Even as a one-off event, think of the alternate options for spending that same $1500. That's several nights in a nice hotel or several nights of nice meals - far better than even SQ can offer on board - and you'd probably have money left over.

I just can't see the value proposition making sense.
Old Jun 5, 14, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
. 744s are not particularly reliable, lots of mx delays and cancels.
Not sure this is still accurate. I believe the 747 currently has a better dispatch rate than the 787.
Old Jun 5, 14, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
Not sure this is still accurate. I believe the 747 currently has a better dispatch rate than the 787.
It is still accurate. See what last Thursday looked like at SFO here.

The fact that they can't keep the 788 in the air either doesn't make the 744 reliability issues any more acceptable.
Old Jun 5, 14, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It is still accurate. See what last Thursday looked like at SFO here.

The fact that they can't keep the 788 in the air either doesn't make the 744 reliability issues any more acceptable.
I must live a charmed life. I've never had a mx happen when I fly the 747. I seem to draw those when on an Airbus.
Old Jun 5, 14, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
If OZ J were available at the same price (or cheaper) as UA J then I would have a decision to make, as it would be hard to pass on a superior product at an equivalent cost. Said another way: if it was a reward ticket it would be a slam dunk for OZ.

SunLover
unfortunately, for the dates I need it's United at just over $4K, Singapore at $5500, and the others (Korean Air, Asiana, and I think one other) are either sold out or close enough to full that they are asking $8K or up (all fares roundtrip).

Amusingly, Emirates is only $7,500, but the connection in Dubai is a bit longer than taking a non-stop :-)
Old Jun 6, 14, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
$1500 difference r/t. Post-tax (assuming this is a business trip, you're paying, and you live in Calif), it's say an $800~900 net cost? That's a $400~450 cost each way for the "upgrade" to SQ. That'd be an easy decision to me.
Old Jun 6, 14, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1 MM
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I must live a charmed life. I've never had a mx happen when I fly the 747. I seem to draw those when on an Airbus.
Charmed indeed! An ontime UA 747 is almost newsworthy.

Interesting that among this group of UA FFs, most seem to agree in our response to OP: take SQ. What does that say?
Old Jun 6, 14, 4:50 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Nobody's mentioned it...since SQ isn't a JV partner, you won't get the 50% class of service bonus for paid biz, nor the elite RDM match.

Just another consideration to the OP.
This would be a reason to pick UA over SQ in my opinion.
I've done the SFO-ICN flight and back and the crews are pretty good, upper deck on the 747 is great. Seat in comfortable.

Of course it can't be compared with SQ but not sure if I'd pay the extra money and not get the extra miles.
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
Interesting that among this group of UA FFs, most seem to agree in our response to OP: take SQ. What does that say?
The answers would be the same if the comparison were to AA or DL. The Asian carriers are better.

I would be more inclined to pay up for OZ than SQ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: