Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
Then you must have missed a page or two. It's Gone
One vague comment? Didn't know to what it referred!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
One vague comment? Didn't know to what it referred!
In context I thought it was rather obvious
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
One vague comment?
That's hardly an accurate description of the post or the discussion that followed.

In any event, the bottom line is, It's Gone!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Guess not so much when scanning though. Anyway it's gone for the time being (I'd guess permanently), at least it lasted longer than the IAH-AKL flight!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by swm61230
First class on pmCO 777?????
I was being sarcastic
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:34 am

Now the second one runs only until 12/5. This flight offered awesome award seat availability for Texas-Asia this summer. I'm sorry that it's gone.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
where did the 777 go? Or where will it go? Perhaps UA can put more planes into a maintenance hanger and fix stuff so we get less cancelled flights.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:12 pm

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Now the second one runs only until 12/5. This flight offered awesome award seat availability for Texas-Asia this summer. I'm sorry that it's gone.
I concur the sentiment. I just flew IAH-NRT last week on UA1 and, while I must wake up very early to catch the plane, it was very nice to have the upgrade availability. I will miss the flight.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Put LAX-PVG back on the god dang 777 spared from this route so we can finally launch LAX-HKG and SFO-DEL with the extra 787s already
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by 787fan
Put LAX-PVG back on the god dang 777 spared from this route so we can finally launch LAX-HKG and SFO-DEL with the extra 787s already
Well, United is getting chased out of LAX, both DAL and AAL are bulking up there. PVG was downgaged as United just no longer has the high value passengers (or for that matter the passangers period) to fill the 772. Plus United (after a few cancellation/standing incidents in the Chinese Press) has a bad rap in the China market. No way that UAL launches LAX-HKG (which is 7257 mi, about 350 miles longer than is SFO-HKG) (a) they could not fill the plane, and (b) certainly could not sell the expensive seats needed to make it profitably at the long ranges. Which is noteworthy as CX can fill 4 773ERs daily on this route.

As to your route planning ideas: (1) SFO-DEL is 7696 mi, going west there will be at least a 1500 mi, and often more, headwind penalty. Given that the 787-9 has a maximum range of 9550 mi, DEL is outside of the range of the 787-9 on most days west bound w/o a tech stop; and (2) the routing that would be likely to make more money would be SFO-BLR or SFO-BOM in any event.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by spin88
Well, United is getting chased out of LAX, both DAL and AAL are bulking up there. PVG was downgaged as United just no longer has the high value passengers (or for that matter the passangers period) to fill the 772. Plus United (after a few cancellation/standing incidents in the Chinese Press) has a bad rap in the China market. No way that UAL launches LAX-HKG (which is 7257 mi, about 350 miles longer than is SFO-HKG) (a) they could not fill the plane, and (b) certainly could not sell the expensive seats needed to make it profitably at the long ranges. Which is noteworthy as CX can fill 4 773ERs daily on this route.

As to your route planning ideas: (1) SFO-DEL is 7696 mi, going west there will be at least a 1500 mi, and often more, headwind penalty. Given that the 787-9 has a maximum range of 9550 mi, DEL is outside of the range of the 787-9 on most days west bound w/o a tech stop; and (2) the routing that would be likely to make more money would be SFO-BLR or SFO-BOM in any event.
Did you miss the memo that LAX-PVG is scheduled to be upgauged to 787-9 ? And did you miss the memo that UA carried more pax on LAX-PVG than AA despite a much smaller plane ?

And no, westbound winds don't add 1500mi. EWR-HKG is flown nonstop by 77E, but you don't add 8065+1500 = 9565mi ESAD. The 77E needs to be half empty to fly that far.

UA have a bad rap with the Chinese market ? You mean 4x daily PEK 4x daily PVG and 0.5x daily CTU ? Average 8.5 flights a day to China, excluding HKG and TPE ? That's roughly same as AA+DL *combined*, not to mention both ORD-PVG and ORD-PEK upgauged to 747. Right, UA is dying in China.

ps : just to add to my previous point - HKG is *not* mainland China. Whatever the Chinese propaganda machine prints out has absolutely no effect on purchase decisions made by pax in HKG.

Last edited by 787fan; Oct 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Well, United is getting chased out of LAX, both DAL and AAL are bulking up there. PVG was downgaged as United just no longer has the high value passengers (or for that matter the passangers period) to fill the 772.
The 789 (at 252 seats 48J+204Y) is very similar pax capacity to the 772, same # of premium seats, greater cargo volume, and considerably reduced operating costs. Hard to agree with such a gloomy outlook, especially as AA continues to operate the flight with a very dated 772 that only has flat beds in FC.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA G
Which is noteworthy as CX can fill 4 773ERs daily on this route.
Nevermind that there's a CX hub on one end and AA hub on the other

I must have missed the memo about a new *A hub at HKG.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Atuchan
I concur the sentiment. I just flew IAH-NRT last week on UA1 and, while I must wake up very early to catch the plane, it was very nice to have the upgrade availability. I will miss the flight.
Thank to that second flight, I made it to NRT from IAH and back nonstop in 2 different trips going and 1 return...with plenty of R seats in BF.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:52 pm

UA 6/7 was going out full on a regular basis. After flight 1/2 were added, flights 6/7 were still full. I think the timing of the first flight hurt more than anything. The market for a second flight is probably there and UA most likely got that right. They just failed horribly at the execution.

At least they pulled it before it bled more money then it already had. I would love to have one more west coast option to HKG though. Either SFO or LAX. That's my vote if they reallocate the aircraft

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.