Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

Old Jan 27, 15, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
I could understand E+ , especiall cause it's free for most of us.
Why would you prefer UA J instead of LH J? LH J felt much better than UA J. The most important was how my feet didn't touch the wall in front while fully flat.
I believe nerdbirdsjc was referring to the LH A380 with angle flat seats (they fly two versions of the A380 - one with 28 rows in J which has the old LH J which is angled J seats and one A380 which has 27 rows in J but has truly flat J seats).

In which case I think most would agree with that sentiment.
Old Jan 27, 15, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
LH A380 has flat bed seats ... check your facts
Only that portion of the fleet which has been updated. That's currently 8/12. New Business Class Retrofit Routes, etc.
Old Jan 27, 15, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
The 1x IAH-NRT had been a very profitable route for UA/CO for 15+ years. A lot of oil field workers pay on way to SE Asia, China, Russian Far East.
Projections of our Houston economy/housing market is not good the next few years. Oil companies are already laying off 10k+ employees and looking to make further cuts. Some are already gone.

Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
I believe nerdbirdsjc was referring to the LH A380 with angle flat seats
I remembered that the minute i clicked submit
Old Jan 27, 15, 10:32 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
They are scheduled to bring their lower density 77Ws to Houston (2-4-3 seating in Y). Sure there is potential for it to be swapped to a 3-4-3 bird from time to time but they have stated the lower pax number plane is what they are putting on the schedules.
NH is notorious for frequent equipment changes. There are numerous posts in the NH forum about routes switching back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ equipment (or switching between 8-abreast and 9-abreast 787s). I personally will never book NH long haul for this reason -- too much risk of getting switched to an inferior seat.
Old Jan 28, 15, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
NH is notorious for frequent equipment changes. There are numerous posts in the NH forum about routes switching back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ equipment (or switching between 8-abreast and 9-abreast 787s). I personally will never book NH long haul for this reason -- too much risk of getting switched to an inferior seat.
TG notorious, yes. NH I wouldn't use quite that strong of an adjective.

What I think you are thinking of is that on certain routes where there are two daily flights there is one what is IOJ and one that is non but it is very easy to see and know which (i.e. NRT-ORD...at least it was last year).
I believe they're redoing all the Y seating so you'll soon have all 9 abreast so don't worry about that.
Old Jan 29, 15, 9:43 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
TG notorious, yes. NH I wouldn't use quite that strong of an adjective.

What I think you are thinking of is that on certain routes where there are two daily flights there is one what is IOJ and one that is non but it is very easy to see and know which (i.e. NRT-ORD...at least it was last year).
I believe they're redoing all the Y seating so you'll soon have all 9 abreast so don't worry about that.
Have you spent much time on the NH forum? There are lots of stories of people who booked IOJ equipment which was later switched to non-IOJ. Or people who booked Y on an 8-abreast 787 only to get switched to 9-abreast a few days before departure. The IAD flight and the 2nd daily ORD flight have switched back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ several times. There was a post about NRT-JFK where the very same flight was 9-abreast in Y on some days of the week and 10-abreast on others.

Years ago, in Japan JL was known as the airline with frequent equipment changes, and if you wanted to be sure of what you would get you flew NH. Now the situation is completely reversed.
Old Jan 30, 15, 2:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
Have you spent much time on the NH forum? There are lots of stories of people who booked IOJ equipment which was later switched to non-IOJ. Or people who booked Y on an 8-abreast 787 only to get switched to 9-abreast a few days before departure. The IAD flight and the 2nd daily ORD flight have switched back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ several times. There was a post about NRT-JFK where the very same flight was 9-abreast in Y on some days of the week and 10-abreast on others.
Happened to me quite a bit, last on a NRT-SFO trip last week. Very annoying.
Old May 13, 15, 6:18 pm

I just checked on Expertflyer...the second IAH NRT

Operated by NH with a 773W, and the seat map for C shows a 2-4-2 configuration. True ? Availability show F/C/E(Y+)/Y.
Y+ shows a 2-4-3 config and
Y shows also a 2-4-3.
???
Old May 13, 15, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Keller281 View Post
Operated by NH with a 773W, and the seat map for C shows a 2-4-2 configuration. True ? Availability show F/C/E(Y+)/Y.
Y+ shows a 2-4-3 config and
Y shows also a 2-4-3.
???
New J is a staggered 1-2-1 configuration on the NH 77W, though there still seem to be some 2-3-2 birds floating around
Old May 30, 15, 2:02 pm

Do you think that NH will be operating the 2nd IAH NRT flight...

All the full fares C class pax with go with NH, or even the MP pax who don't care about their life time miles counting towards the MM, will fly with NH ?
And I realized that 2nd flight would not open more R seats on UA6/7 as when UA flew the second flight themselves.
Any thoughts ? more R seats open on UA6/7 ?
Old May 30, 15, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Nah, I think a lot of the corporate J travel on the route will default to UA. Few will know better to choose NH.
Old May 30, 15, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I will choose UA because having a cooler cabin is important to my comfort. But I don't expect many of my co-workers to make their decision based on that same criteria.
Old Aug 3, 15, 8:53 pm

I second that

Originally Posted by Air Houston View Post
I will choose UA because having a cooler cabin is important to my comfort. But I don't expect many of my co-workers to make their decision based on that same criteria.
I landed today from narita and I was very dissapointed with the cabin even that is 1-2-1, normally I flight with my family (wife and 2 kids below 2y).

If you are a business person who does not want to see anyone during the whole 12 hours flight, this is for you.

If you will like to talk to your wife or flight partner, keep an eye on your kids or even get two bassinets (if they could use them, my kids weight / size is above the limits... This is not the plane for you.

Bassinets are available in D and H which if you happen to travel with 2 kids you will be not only separated by the aisle, but with one person in between too

I also think is less convenient to catch this flight if you are not staying near narita, and manage to avoid any jetlag issues once you land in Houston.

I have a return ticket that I will happily try to rebook on UA

Last edited by LoungeBum; Aug 3, 15 at 8:57 pm Reason: Add more info
Old Aug 4, 15, 1:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Originally Posted by LoungeBum View Post
I also think is less convenient to catch this flight if you are not staying near narita, and manage to avoid any jetlag issues once you land in Houston.
VERY INCONVENIENT!

For HKG there's only an 12am flight from HKG arriving 6am to Haneda. Than you would need to take the subway (1 hour) to Narita.

Or you could over night @ NRT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: