Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Per EWR764 I'm also very positive UA will drop from 2 to 1 flights per day. And that 1 flight per day would be the 787.

It seems like IAH-FRA. UA still sends the dreamliner knowing that LH sends the A388 with a much nicer plane, Y,J, and F product.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS
At some point the "Houbris" has gotta stop.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
...It seems like IAH-FRA. UA still sends the dreamliner knowing that LH sends the A388 with a much nicer plane, Y,J, and F product.
I took a tour of an LH A388 a couple years ago (I was in F ) and it seemed like a bit of a cattle car to me. As I recall, the entire upper deck (sans the FC cabin up front) was J.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Maybe there is that much S. America/Southern N. America - IAH - NRT/Asia traffic or that much predicted growth to support all that lift.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Per EWR764 I'm also very positive UA will drop from 2 to 1 flights per day. And that 1 flight per day would be the 787.

It seems like IAH-FRA. UA still sends the dreamliner knowing that LH sends the A388 with a much nicer plane, Y,J, and F product.
I'll take UA flat beds over LH A380 slanted seats and E+ over 31" regular LH Eco, thank you very much.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
I'll take UA flat beds over LH A380 slanted seats and E+ over 31" regular LH Eco, thank you very much.
I could understand E+ , especiall cause it's free for most of us.
Why would you prefer UA J instead of LH J? LH J felt much better than UA J. The most important was how my feet didn't touch the wall in front while fully flat.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I took a tour of an LH A388 a couple years ago (I was in F ) and it seemed like a bit of a cattle car to me. As I recall, the entire upper deck (sans the FC cabin up front) was J.
Yeah it was like 2nd floor exclusive to premium cabins.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsl42
At some point the "Houbris" has gotta stop.
Can you add anything to that comment based on knowledge? The 1x IAH-NRT had been a very profitable route for UA/CO for 15+ years. A lot of oil field workers pay on way to SE Asia, China, Russian Far East.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
LH A380 has flat bed seats ... check your facts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I could understand E+ , especiall cause it's free for most of us.
Why would you prefer UA J instead of LH J? LH J felt much better than UA J. The most important was how my feet didn't touch the wall in front while fully flat.
I believe nerdbirdsjc was referring to the LH A380 with angle flat seats (they fly two versions of the A380 - one with 28 rows in J which has the old LH J which is angled J seats and one A380 which has 27 rows in J but has truly flat J seats).

In which case I think most would agree with that sentiment.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
LH A380 has flat bed seats ... check your facts
Only that portion of the fleet which has been updated. That's currently 8/12. New Business Class Retrofit Routes, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The 1x IAH-NRT had been a very profitable route for UA/CO for 15+ years. A lot of oil field workers pay on way to SE Asia, China, Russian Far East.
Projections of our Houston economy/housing market is not good the next few years. Oil companies are already laying off 10k+ employees and looking to make further cuts. Some are already gone.

Originally Posted by jmanirish
I believe nerdbirdsjc was referring to the LH A380 with angle flat seats
I remembered that the minute i clicked submit
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Hartmann
They are scheduled to bring their lower density 77Ws to Houston (2-4-3 seating in Y). Sure there is potential for it to be swapped to a 3-4-3 bird from time to time but they have stated the lower pax number plane is what they are putting on the schedules.
NH is notorious for frequent equipment changes. There are numerous posts in the NH forum about routes switching back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ equipment (or switching between 8-abreast and 9-abreast 787s). I personally will never book NH long haul for this reason -- too much risk of getting switched to an inferior seat.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
NH is notorious for frequent equipment changes. There are numerous posts in the NH forum about routes switching back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ equipment (or switching between 8-abreast and 9-abreast 787s). I personally will never book NH long haul for this reason -- too much risk of getting switched to an inferior seat.
TG notorious, yes. NH I wouldn't use quite that strong of an adjective.

What I think you are thinking of is that on certain routes where there are two daily flights there is one what is IOJ and one that is non but it is very easy to see and know which (i.e. NRT-ORD...at least it was last year).
I believe they're redoing all the Y seating so you'll soon have all 9 abreast so don't worry about that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
TG notorious, yes. NH I wouldn't use quite that strong of an adjective.

What I think you are thinking of is that on certain routes where there are two daily flights there is one what is IOJ and one that is non but it is very easy to see and know which (i.e. NRT-ORD...at least it was last year).
I believe they're redoing all the Y seating so you'll soon have all 9 abreast so don't worry about that.
Have you spent much time on the NH forum? There are lots of stories of people who booked IOJ equipment which was later switched to non-IOJ. Or people who booked Y on an 8-abreast 787 only to get switched to 9-abreast a few days before departure. The IAD flight and the 2nd daily ORD flight have switched back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ several times. There was a post about NRT-JFK where the very same flight was 9-abreast in Y on some days of the week and 10-abreast on others.

Years ago, in Japan JL was known as the airline with frequent equipment changes, and if you wanted to be sure of what you would get you flew NH. Now the situation is completely reversed.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Have you spent much time on the NH forum? There are lots of stories of people who booked IOJ equipment which was later switched to non-IOJ. Or people who booked Y on an 8-abreast 787 only to get switched to 9-abreast a few days before departure. The IAD flight and the 2nd daily ORD flight have switched back and forth between IOJ and non-IOJ several times. There was a post about NRT-JFK where the very same flight was 9-abreast in Y on some days of the week and 10-abreast on others.
Happened to me quite a bit, last on a NRT-SFO trip last week. Very annoying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.