Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by silver9919
I have checked United's website & I already know my first bag is free up to 50 lbs. If I had status, it would be up to 70 lbs. I am going away for 2 weeks so I may go over 50 & was wondering what the fee would be. Upon calling United, they informed me the fee was $200 for a 51 lb bag, but a 50 lb bag would be free. This sounds bizarre. Is there no surcharge fee that exists between 50 and 70 lbs for non-status flyers? The route is ORD - EDI. Thanks.

Also, as a side note - I've been slightly over 50 lbs on Aer Lingus & over on their carry-on limit a few times and they just shrug and say "looks like 50 to me" and let me go. I don't know if United would be the same way.
You may be lucky, you may not.

If you go over the limit, expect to pay—if you’re not subject to the fee—great. Of course, if you’re only one pound overweight, there’s probably something you could put in a carry on. If your five to ten pounds overweight, consider shipping some things—it should be cheaper than $200–I’m thinking laundry.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I have checked United's website & I already know my first bag is free up to 50 lbs. If I had status, it would be up to 70 lbs. I am going away for 2 weeks so I may go over 50 & was wondering what the fee would be. Upon calling United, they informed me the fee was $200 for a 51 lb bag, but a 50 lb bag would be free. This sounds bizarre. Is there no surcharge fee that exists between 50 and 70 lbs for non-status flyers? The route is ORD - EDI. Thanks.

Also, as a side note - I've been slightly over 50 lbs on Aer Lingus & over on their carry-on limit a few times and they just shrug and say "looks like 50 to me" and let me go. I don't know if United would be the same way.
Airlines need to draw the line somewhere and are you willing to 'bet your wallet' at check in on a compassionate agent?
I just went through a similar experience with EI. No status and a suggestion that we (four in my group) rearrange our weight distribution.

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jun 23, 2019 at 7:37 am Reason: errors
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:46 am

Thanks - yeah I put the most heavy things in my carryon so far, but I can probably get in more. It reminds me of this old Ryan Air news report where people would cut the linings out of their winter coats and stuff them with everything they needed lol. Too bad it's not the winter.

Mostly, I was just trying to see if there was a $50 fee or something because the $200 just didn't make sense. I'd pay $50 for 20 more lbs.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The $200 overweight fee is pretty standard across most carriers. The same for oversize (make certain that you measure your bag carefully once packed as heavy bags are sometimes oversize too and those incur an additional $200 fee).

The line is drawn somewhere and in this case it is at 50 pounds. Whether you can skate by is something you won't know until you check the bag in. I would make a real effort to rethink what you need. Given the two carryons + 1 bag, 50 pounds is a great deal for a 2-week trip.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:17 am

Yeah I think my conundrum will be solved by packing less & giving the hotel cleaners my laundry half way through. I just called them to see if they do regular laundry (not just dry cleaning) and they will - so that's good. I'm going to the Highlands, Edinburgh, and London - and the weather is so variable, it makes it hard to cut down. Packing has been taking forever since everything from 50-80 degrees is possible. But at least the basics can be washed & I can cut a lot in half now.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, silver9919!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:04 am

Thanks! It's funny how many 100s of questions I have had answered by just googling "flyertalk [topic name]" that I never had to create an account. And I was a consultant ... so everyone around me was sufficiently obsessed with miles and status that I didn't have to go anywhere else for it. haha.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds bizarre. Is there no surcharge fee that exists between 50 and 70 lbs for non-status flyers?
No, there is not. However, in another example of the fees making no sense at all — if you need more than 50 lbs of stuff, take two pieces of luggage. 1x70lbs = $200 each way. 2x50 lbs = $100 each way.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan

No, there is not. However, in another example of the fees making no sense at all — if you need more than 50 lbs of stuff, take two pieces of luggage. 1x70lbs = $200 each way. 2x50 lbs = $100 each way.
I'm sure there is some argument that 2x50 is easier for a ground crew to deal with than 1x70. Over 50 lbs and it becomes difficult for a single person to lift.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Personally, I've never seen anyone get by with overweight luggage even by 1 lb - I've always seen the agent encourage moving things between bags, or taking something out for carryon, or just plain ditch something.

I suspect once you put your bag on the scale, the computer is waiting for a credit card - and the agent can't override that unless the weight comes down.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally, I've never seen anyone get by with overweight luggage even by 1 lb - I've always seen the agent encourage moving things between bags, or taking something out for carryon, or just plain ditch something.

I suspect once you put your bag on the scale, the computer is waiting for a credit card - and the agent can't override that unless the weight comes down.
There are very few US airports (none that I can think of off the top of my head) where the baggage counter scales are linked to anything but the little display next to them, much less the passenger service systems, and I think even fewer of them are regularly certified/sealed by local weights and measures authorities making them unusable for commerce. (I've seen them showing as low as -5 or as high as +6 without anything on them) -- not to mention usually if you're listening you hear the bag tag printed before your bag even goes on the scale/scales being shared between multiple checkin positions/multiple bags winding up on the scale simultaneously, etc.

I suspect it's more along the lines of the agents have had the fear of HR put into them for a variety of reasons (weight and balance [in the US most airlines use 'standard weights' rather than actual weights], employee injury, etc.)

On the other hand, in most of the rest of the world where you drop your bag on a conveyor next to the check in position AFAIK those are weighing the bag and recording the actual weight for passenger service/flight dispatching -- don't know how many airlines are using actual weights for W&B, but I have seen "XX kg" printed on a baggage tag. I don't know what scale certification/calibration looks like in those countries, though.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

dont know about UA, but DL at least used to have a 1 lb. overweight allowance per bag. This was maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Don’t know if they still do.

In this case, I was helping my parents in law check in on their way back to India. They had 2 bags - one was weighed as 52 lbs on the scale, the other at exactly 50. The agent stated DL allows 1 pound overweight, and so would have to charge for the second unless they shifted stuff to have them both at 51. They were able to do it, so checked the 2 bags at 51 lbs without an additional charge.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
United’s enforcement of their checked in baggage weight policy is inversely proportional to their enforcement of their carryon size policy.
I was pinged for pound overweight not so long ago.
Don’t risk it.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:01 pm

Transporting a mattress as checked baggage on an international flight

Hi,

quick question, will a 1k receive any reduction in oversized baggage fees?
I am flying FRA-SFO on UA in PZ (PP Upgrade from W), and I am looking to transport a mattress, which outside dimensions are 200cm (Normal baggage can't exceed 159cm I believe),
As I understand it, the first 3pieces are free (as 1k), however oversize/ overweight charge is $200 for the first bag. Apologies, I typically never check bags.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, UARTWSFO
Originally Posted by UARTWSFO
Hi,

quick question, will a 1k receive any reduction in oversized baggage fees? ...
Maybe if close but not if obviously oversized

What is the shipping cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.