Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
A surface trip to the UK will take a lot longer than your flight but likely cost a lot less than $200 per box.
Not so sure about that. Shipping rates have increased dramatically over the last decade or so.
I reckon paying the airline surcharges is still the cheapest, safest, and fastest way to transport your belongings.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not sure if this helps, but my family long ago stopped traveling on major trips with extra room in our luggage, instead we find cheap throwaway luggage if by chance we need the extra room on the way home. Finding something cheap at just about any store hear in the states should be easy, and will hold up much better than a box. Just a Gold now, but even in my 1K days I was never comfortable exceeding the dimension by much. That said, I see suitcases in Baggage Claim that look like they could carry a full sized body.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: UA, AE
I have a bag that is at the limit. They have pulled out the tape measure on occasion.

On weight: about 1 pound leeway. However, Heathrow and some airports have a strict 32KG limit.

Expect to be measured.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dysentrieb
Hello,
I'm flying Corpus Christi - Houston // Houston - London Heathrow soon.
I need to take a lot of things with me for a relative. The maximum luggage size allowed is 62 linear inches (width+length+height) which could be a box of 27x18x18" (68x45x45cm). I find this rather small.

Has anyone here got some experience with how strict UA is with luggage sizes?
I'm thinking of taking the risk and getting some bigger boxes, but want to hear your opinion on the chance of being charged for oversize luggage.
Oversize luggage costs 200$ per piece, so it's very expensive. I would have a friend bringing me to the airport and if they don't accept the large boxes I would have to re-pack in the airport into smaller boxes and leave some stuff behind.
So, what do you think what they would accept as normal luggage?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the United threads!

But, now, I will suggest that you fly BA. I seem to remember that they allow bigger sized luggage. Premium Economy allows 2 pieces.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I have a pelican air 1637 which is 62.14 inches linear. It seems like almost every bag that comes off the conveyer belt it bigger than mine or significantly smaller (jumbo carry on). I've never been challenged and I've never seen anyone else challenged (in my limited experience). YMMV but if it's in something that looks like luggage with some spinny wheels on it and isn't obviously huge, I'd think that it would be fine.

Bottom line is that you know the rules but you're asking a people whether doing something against the published rules is ok. You're going to get answers based upon their own ideas of right and wrong/their own personal risk assessment, but I think what you should really focus on is what others have seen/experienced in the past and listen to the objective data.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You already know the answer because you are asking. If the agent measures, you will be required to pay.

It is down to what one particular agent at one particular counter does on one particular day. The answer is that there is no way to predict what will happen in your situation and you must be prepared to pay the oversize fee if asked (or toss the box).

I would find a piece of dirt cheap, but size-compliant standard luggage. Use that and if you don't need it once in the UK, toss it or give it to somebody. You can find compliant nylon bags for <$20 on Amazon.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Not so sure about that. Shipping rates have increased dramatically over the last decade or so.
I reckon paying the airline surcharges is still the cheapest, safest, and fastest way to transport your belongings.
One really ought to check that. UA's 3rd bag fee USA-Europe is $200. Add $200 if it's more than 50 pounds. Add $200 if it's oversized. FedEx starts to look good.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Data point: Had to get some documents to Scotland in advance of our wedding there last year.

It was cheaper to fly myself in Polaris (the day after we discovered the need) and rent a car to drop them off personally than it would have been to get them there fast with UPS, FedEx, or USPS global Express mail. It was also several days faster (UPS was the fastest of the three and could only guarantee by 5pm on the last possible day)

Now, I used miles for the flight so only wound up paying g taxes/fees/APDuty, but still...made me rethink actually shipping anything with time urgency, at least to Europe.

​​​​​​
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ground transportation will be markedly cheaper. Ocean shipping rates from Texas to Asia are around $100 for a larger box than United would accept. It's hard to believe that it'd be twice as expensive to go half as far.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:37 am

Hi Guys,

thank you for your many oppinions!

My plan was to use moving boxes (cardboard) and wrap them with stretch foil.
Yes the ticket is booked already. It was booked by my employer and it is a 'seamen's ticket'. That means I have a better weight allowance (70 lbs instead of 50), but the size limit is the same.
I will have a look into very cheap suitcases that can be thrown away after use, allthough this really goes against my beliefs.

I will let you know how it ended up and if I got through with the extra inches.

Happy flights, safe travels!!!
Daniel
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
weight is more likely to be enforced than dimensions in my experience.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dysentrieb
I will have a look into very cheap suitcases that can be thrown away after use, allthough this really goes against my beliefs.
There's no reason that they have to be thrown away; if they're still in good shape, I'm sure you can find a use for them in the UK, either for your family or a local charity.

That said, I think I'd probably try weighing a full 20x20x20 box first and see whether or not a suitcase is even needed. Keep in mind, the suitcase weighs quite a bit more than the box. If you can get 60-65 pounds of items into the cardboard box, I'd just go with that approach. If it's full after 35 pounds, then, yeah, a suitcase that stretches the limits a bit may help.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I recently checked in at IAH for Polaris international in C, and the agent measured my cardboard box (camping tent). It was 4 cm over (which I knew), and the agent requested $200. (Value of tent was $160). I asked her if she could waive it for 1K revenue ticket in C (my other two bags were well within limits). She refused. So I politely asked her to let me speak to someone who had authority to waive it for me, if possible.
With no grace, she said wait, vanished for 5 or 6 minutes, and came back and without saying anything typed something in the reservation, printed the label and took the box (with a limited release - fair enough).

So be prepared to pay, abandon or ask nicely.

Of course TSA unpacked it, couldn't repack it properly, and it arrived without the box, but no serious damage.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:39 am

One time I checked in a cardboard-wrapped office chair which was clearly over the size limit (the chair was in one piece, not disassembled). I printed the tags at the self check-in counter where I selected overweight but forgot to also pick oversize. They took it without charging anything extra and it arrived just fine. Premier Platinum. I'm planning to check my full-size keyboard on my next flight.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Have you already purchased your ticket? Do you have any leeway in your departure? If you can fly from San Antonio instead of Corpus Christi, you can likely find a flight that has a first-class cabin on the short SAT-IAH flight. The upgrade cost on this short of a flight is usually low -- often $100 or less -- and you'd get an increased luggage allowance.
Actually for about the last year more than 2/3s of the flights to/from CRP have been planes with first class - usually E175s but even a mainline has been sprinkled in here or there!

A welcomed change
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.