Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall
I don't understand the issue here. When you purchased the ticket (either from KE or UA), it had specified on it what your free baggage allowance is -- typically in terms of weight and/or size. If your bags were within the limit and you were charged extra, that's wrong and you are entitled to a refund. If they were not within the limit, then you owe the money -- regardless of whether KE might have ignored the limit when you first checked in.

Not with respect to the OP, but I am puzzled. People on FT seem to get very upset when they don't receive something from UA to which they may be entitled (e.g., PDB, appropriate placement on upgrade waitlist, etc.), but they also get upset when they don't receive something to which they are not entitled. They expect UA to stretch its rules to favor them, but not to stretch its rules to disfavor them.
The OP is not upset, did not rant, did not ask for a refund, nor did the OP state United sucks in any way whatsoever. He stated he understands rules are rules. He just said it looks weird from an optics perspective. Having no status on Korean Air and being able to check his bags for free. Then arriving in PVG and being charged $400 despite having some status with United.

The advice/point of the OP posting on this forum was to get some feedback, which he did. @jsloan pointed out that the OP's bags could have possibly been interlined and the OP incorrectly charged by United. The OP will hopefully investigate this to see if this was the case. If anything, the OP treats this as a learning experience (PEK vs. PVG for transferring with checked bags) for when he books his next trip. He was not asking for a handout, just commenting on the 'optics' of the situation he experienced. He even said that United handed the situation very professionally!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The OP is not upset, did not rant, did not ask for a refund, nor did the OP state United sucks in any way whatsoever. He stated he understands rules are rules. He just said it looks weird from an optics perspective. Having no status on Korean Air and being able to check his bags for free. Then arriving in PVG and being charged $400 despite having some status with United.

The advice/point of the OP posting on this forum was to get some feedback, which he did. @jsloan pointed out that the OP's bags could have possibly been interlined and the OP incorrectly charged by United. The OP will hopefully investigate this to see if this was the case. If anything, the OP treats this as a learning experience (PEK vs. PVG for transferring with checked bags) for when he books his next trip. He was not asking for a handout, just commenting on the 'optics' of the situation he experienced. He even said that United handed the situation very professionally!
Did I say the OP was upset? I don't think so. I was just suggesting that the only real issue that the OP should have is whether stated baggage rules were followed, or not. While from the OP's perspective, he may think the "optics" were bad, but why is that so? I typically travel well under the free luggage allowance. Should I think the optics are bad that UA doesn't offer me a ticket discount because I do?

And I was explicit in referring to FTers other than the OP when presenting the issue of inconsistency in beliefs as to when rules should be followed and when they should be stretched.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

Well, looks like the Korean Air agent did OP an favor, since they do have a oversize baggage charge. Plus, OP pointed out that s/he was embarrassed for having to pay the fee.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
KE most certainly does have a fee for oversize luggage and for whatever reason did not collect it at PUS. OP paid the fee at PVG. He is not out anything he did now owe.

OP did nothing wrong and there is nothing embarrassing here. Neither did UA lack "empathy". OP is a 1K and either knows UA's rules, should know them and certainly knows how to look them up.

In the end, OP paid an excess fee of $200 per bag as he should have.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
... In the end, OP paid an excess fee of $200 per bag as he should have.
Still unclear to me when this was not handled in the typical interline process.
Were the bags checked from the origin to the destination (interlined) by KE to UA?
If not, why?
If yes, why was an additional fee charged?

Until there are answered to the above, impossible to state if this was properly handled and who caused the issue.

per the OP
Originally Posted by havall
,,,, Again, great points. I wish I was more "aware" at the check-in desk. Korean Air knew our final destination was ORD. In fact, they checked us in on United too and gave us boarding passes for the PVG-ORD leg (we showed up on the gate upgrade list in the app, etc.). I don't recall what the baggage tags said -- and whether United replaced the Korean Air tags with their own. Based on the information in the United app ("Track my bags (beta)"), now it shows bags "checked at PVG" (not PUS) and "loaded on flight" so I may never find out what Korean Air tags said.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Thumbs down Checked in luggage weight enforcement

3 bag allowance, 2 @ 70lbs and 1 @ 50lbs (paying the $150 for an extra bag), business class international flights connecting through Boston, ex EWR.

Bags were overweight, and was made to unpack until down to exactly 70 / 70 / 50.. and I mean EXACTLY.... 50.5lbs wouldn't do it, nor 70.5lbs...

Yes, I know that's the "rules", but down to the last half pound... geez, someone must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed.

On the bright side, I do now have a beautiful clear plastic United luggage bag which was "free" :-)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
3 bag allowance, 2 @ 70lbs and 1 @ 50lbs (paying the $150 for an extra bag), business class international flights connecting through Boston, ex EWR.

Bags were overweight, and was made to unpack until down to exactly 70 / 70 / 50.. and I mean EXACTLY.... 50.5lbs wouldn't do it, nor 70.5lbs...

Yes, I know that's the "rules", but down to the last half pound... geez, someone must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed.

On the bright side, I do now have a beautiful clear plastic United luggage bag which was "free" :-)
If I were a baggage handler, I'd like for the 70lb limit to be strictly enforced.

Why did you have to pay for an extra bag when checking three bags with a three bag allowance?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Where do you cut it off - 1 pound over? 2 pounds over?

It is what it is - these are not exactly highly paid employees - they have to enforce the rules. I've been in the little over situation myself - I dealt with it.

And as someone who previously lived a year in Munich - you should know exactly how inflexible rules can be.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
If I were a baggage handler, I'd like for the 70lb limit to be strictly enforced.

Why did you have to pay for an extra bag when checking three bags with a three bag allowance?
agree on the handler thing. Also, not sure what happens at 70 lbs vs. over, but even 50.1 pounds needs a heavy tag - maybe they didn’t want to do that?

premium cabin (unless you have status that gets you more) I think typically only has a two-bag allowance, so probably a reason for the charge for the third.

Been a while, but IME, delta used to have a 1 pound grace, but they were very strict about that. Was with parents-in-law where they were made to move stuff until they were exactly at 51 and 51 pounds in their two bags. Wouldn’t do 50.5 and 51.5. Both got heavy tags, also.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You cut it off at 70/70/50 in this case. My wife is one of the worst for this and I just shake my head in disbelief and tell her she can pay any excess as I'm not.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
To where and on what airlines (does UA have any international out of BOS?)

Some airlines, and some countries/airport have very specific rules around the maximum weight of a bag.

eg, Australian law says that all bags must be no more than 70lbs for health/safety reasons. Of course, that doesn't explain the 50 lbs one...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: united
Baggage fees are also a huge profit center for airlines now. I can remember checking absurd bags back in the day. But yes, they are now super strict.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:29 pm

How strict is United with prescribed luggage size dimensions?

Hello,
I'm flying Corpus Christi - Houston // Houston - London Heathrow soon.
I need to take a lot of things with me for a relative. The maximum luggage size allowed is 62 linear inches (width+length+height) which could be a box of 27x18x18" (68x45x45cm). I find this rather small.

Has anyone here got some experience with how strict UA is with luggage sizes?
I'm thinking of taking the risk and getting some bigger boxes, but want to hear your opinion on the chance of being charged for oversize luggage.
Oversize luggage costs 200$ per piece, so it's very expensive. I would have a friend bringing me to the airport and if they don't accept the large boxes I would have to re-pack in the airport into smaller boxes and leave some stuff behind.
So, what do you think what they would accept as normal luggage?

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Are you talking an actual box (like cardboard?) or just a large piece of luggage?

In my experience, the linear dimensions have not been enforced as long as the checked bag is a standard piece of luggage and the weight requirements are met.

Plan B: Bring a honey butter chicken biscuit to the checkin agent. They’ll let it slide 😉
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dysentrieb
Hello,
I'm flying Corpus Christi - Houston // Houston - London Heathrow soon.
I need to take a lot of things with me for a relative. The maximum luggage size allowed is 62 linear inches (width+length+height) which could be a box of 27x18x18" (68x45x45cm). I find this rather small.

Has anyone here got some experience with how strict UA is with luggage sizes?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

27x18x18 is too big; 26x18x18 is 62 linear inches (and 8,424 cubic inches). It's common to see 20x20x20 boxes on international flights, although if you could find a 22x20x20 box somewhere, that's probably the closest you can realistically get to the maximum volume (8800 cubic inches).

Unless you're carrying a lot of bulky, light objects, I'd be at least as concerned about the 50 pound maximum weight. If your bag is oversized and overweight, you will be charged $400 -- the oversize and overweight fees stack.

Don't expect any leeway at all on weight -- the scale is right in front of them. As far as linear size -- I agree with the previous poster. You may get leeway when traveling with bags that are shaped like luggage and don't look outrageously large, but for boxes and other less common items, expect them to grab the measuring tape.

I actually sent back an extra-large suitcase that I ordered once after discovering that it was about 6 linear inches beyond UA's maxima; instead, I had to run out and buy two smaller suitcases the morning of our trip. I wasn't willing to take the risk, and considering the high cost / inconvenience factor if UA had fought it, I think I made the right choice.

Have you already purchased your ticket? Do you have any leeway in your departure? If you can fly from San Antonio instead of Corpus Christi, you can likely find a flight that has a first-class cabin on the short SAT-IAH flight. The upgrade cost on this short of a flight is usually low -- often $100 or less -- and you'd get an increased luggage allowance.

Otherwise, I'd consider shipping boxes separately, especially if you have anything that's not time-sensitive. A surface trip to the UK will take a lot longer than your flight but likely cost a lot less than $200 per box.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.