FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Reasonable Turn Time When Incoming Flight is Delayed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1581501-reasonable-turn-time-when-incoming-flight-delayed.html)

sciflyer Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

30 min turn on a 767

I'm on UA46 (IAH-FRA) tonight. I received a message that it was going to be about an hour late leaving due to a "late arriving aircraft." Delays always seem to get longer and longer until the inbound is in the air, so I check the preceding flight, which is 1502 from EWR. The scheduled arrival time of 1502 is 6:05pm (it will be 6 minutes late) and the scheduled departure of 46 is 6:35. Why on earth did UA schedule a 30 minute turn on an international-bound 767? They wouldn't let me schedule a 30 minute connect to an international flight (not that I'd want to, but still). Why would they schedule a certain delay?

richk_30 Jan 25, 2013 2:18 pm

More than likely, the aircraft that was originally slated for your route went MX and they found the next best alternative.

This happened to me LAX-LHR as the original inbound aircraft was LHR-LAX and was on time. I checked a few hours later and my LAX-LHR flight was delayed by 2 hours due to "inbound aircraft" which was now coming from NRT. Found out at the airport that the first aircraft had gone MX when it landed in LAX.

sciflyer Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm

That's certainly a possibility. Amusingly, they have changed the departure time five times in the last two hours - never the gate or aircraft, just their estimate of how fast they can turn it. It went from 6:35 to 7:26 to 7:00 to 6:35 to 6:53 to 7:22. Fun stuff!

trekwars2000 Jan 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I am in the E club and it was announced that the inbound flight had just arrived at about 550p and they would begin boarding at 630p. I still that that is a bit of a streach...

sciflyer Jan 25, 2013 7:13 pm

trek, I'm back in the E club after boarding, deboarding and hoping the new 10pm departure will hold.

Boghopper Jan 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by sciflyer (Post 20123713)
I'm on UA46 (IAH-FRA) tonight. I received a message that it was going to be about an hour late leaving due to a "late arriving aircraft." Delays always seem to get longer and longer until the inbound is in the air, so I check the preceding flight, which is 1502 from EWR. The scheduled arrival time of 1502 is 6:05pm (it will be 6 minutes late) and the scheduled departure of 46 is 6:35. Why on earth did UA schedule a 30 minute turn on an international-bound 767? They wouldn't let me schedule a 30 minute connect to an international flight (not that I'd want to, but still). Why would they schedule a certain delay?

They build ridiculous turn times into delayed aircraft all the time. I don't know why they do this, but I've had lots of amusement watching departure estimates that imply a/c turns of 20-30 minutes based on the estimated arrival of a delayed plane. One time I even said to the gate agent "who do you think you are, Southwest? You haven't turned a [fill in A/C type] in 30 minutes in your life". Not really fair, they don't set any of it, they're just the messenger (if that).

worldwidetraveler Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am

United trying to match Southwest's turns?

Southwest Airlines is noted for its hustle in getting flights in and out fast, and their corresponding high number of on-time arrivals.
Today United Flt. 435 IAH-EWR is scheduled to depart 12:00pm. The aircraft is coming from BOS (Flt. 751) scheduled to arrive 11:40am.
Can United do a 20 minute turn with a 757-200?

Ocn Vw 1K Jun 10, 2013 10:17 am

Not possible. What will happen is that after the inbound aircraft arrives, United will eventually post a delayed departure time for the outbound.

Previous histories don't make a rule book, but last Thursday, my 752 LAX-SFO was scheduled to depart at 10:33 pm. The inbound was delayed and did not block in until 9:50 p.m. New crew was at the departure gate. The outbound did not start boarding until 10:19. Shortly before boarding, the outbound departure time was changed to 10:43 and we pushed about 10:51. That was a 1:01 turn from block-in to pushback. UA can do it faster but not as fast as WN turns 73s.

astroflyer Jun 10, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler (Post 20896740)
Southwest Airlines is noted for its hustle in getting flights in and out fast, and their corresponding high number of on-time arrivals.
Today United Flt. 435 IAH-EWR is scheduled to depart 12:00pm. The aircraft is coming from BOS (Flt. 751) scheduled to arrive 11:40am.

There must have been a last-minute swap or some other IrrOps that caused this to happen. It takes at least 15 minutes to deplane, and there's no way they can board faster than 25 minutes. Add in a super fast 5 minute clean, and I can't possibly imagine less than a 45 minute turn on a 757.

SunLover Jun 10, 2013 11:06 am

This is what happens when UA pads the schedule. They subtract 15 minutes from the departure time, and add 15 minutes to the arrival time. Their on time matrix appears improved, but it causes other various issues down the line.

SunLover

crenshaw Jun 10, 2013 11:07 am

I don't think it's last minute. For the last several months, operations has been doing swaps up to several hours in advance that lead to impossible turnaround times. The frustrating part is that they wait until the clock has expired to notify the passengers. And the reason for the delay? "Awaiting Inbound Aircraft". I guess that's technically true, but I had a 30 minute delay last week for that reason with the inbound aircraft arrived 16 minutes early!!

endrond Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler (Post 20896740)

They can barely pull that off with an ERJ145.

And I, like crenshaw, find it highly irritating when they claim impossibly-fast turn times. At one point a couple of months ago, I saw that my flight was listed as 30 minutes late. I tracked the plane (a 737) back through the system and saw it was running well over 2 hours late, and that it would require 3 consecutive <20 minute turns for my flight to depart only half an hour late. I called customer service, asking to be moved to an earlier flight, and the agent refused to acknowledge that my flight was going to be seriously delayed.

mduell Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover (Post 20897107)
This is what happens when UA pads the schedule. They subtract 15 minutes from the departure time, and add 15 minutes to the arrival time. Their on time matrix appears improved, but it causes other various issues down the line.

Wouldn't that make their on time departure rating worse, since it's compared to their scheduled departure time which you claim they're moving earlier?

alex_b Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by endrond (Post 20897128)
And I, like crenshaw, find it highly irritating when they claim impossibly-fast turn times. At one point a couple of months ago, I saw that my flight was listed as 30 minutes late. I tracked the plane (a 737) back through the system and saw it was running well over 2 hours late, and that it would require 3 consecutive <20 minute turns for my flight to depart only half an hour late. I called customer service, asking to be moved to an earlier flight, and the agent refused to acknowledge that my flight was going to be seriously delayed.

Part of the issue is there is almost no sanction for continuing to lie about this and disservice customers. I feel that one of the benefits of EU261 is that airlines have become more proactive about downline delays.

LASUA1K Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by crenshaw (Post 20897114)
I don't think it's last minute. For the last several months, operations has been doing swaps up to several hours in advance that lead to impossible turnaround times. The frustrating part is that they wait until the clock has expired to notify the passengers. And the reason for the delay? "Awaiting Inbound Aircraft". I guess that's technically true, but I had a 30 minute delay last week for that reason with the inbound aircraft arrived 16 minutes early!!

This is absolutely true! I've had several flights recently, where I knew it would be delayed. The incoming flight was on time but it was landing 10 minutes before departure. UA knew this flight would be delayed but they still kept on insisting it would be on time. This has hapenned 3 times in the last month alone.