Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVP75K, UA Gold,

Is there any way to combine multiple travel certificates into one? I have 5 different ones that combine to over $2000 but would like to use them just to purchase one fare. Any help?

$982, $158, $80, $788, $120
Old May 28, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Silver
I once had 2 small $ certificates instead of 1 larger $ certificate. This was caused by a mistake made by the United agent. I pointed out the issue within minutes of it happening. They would not combine the 2 back into one. I had to use them separately on separate reservations.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
I do not believe so, you may be able to do it by calling in and making the reservation over the phone.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVP75K, UA Gold,
That's what I figured. I guess I'll need to book 5 more tickets then.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA silver
maybe book one-ways and see if you can use a voucher on each leg?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by wmonty67
maybe book one-ways and see if you can use a voucher on each leg?
This, if using them domestically or on fares that are valid as one ways (find this info in the fare rules).

If INTL, often one way is greater than or equal to $$ of round trip. In that case it might be worth it to call and see if multiple vouchers can be combined.

It also depends what type of voucher it is (1016-type for the offer code in the flight search parameters, or TCVA-type with a PIN code used at check out). IIRC, you can combine a single 1016 type with a single TCVA type onto the same reservation. Based on your $$ totals, it sounds like these are TCVA types.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Multiple Travel Certificates on a single Reservation

I've been collection Travel Certificates for bumps on my business travel this year and I'm getting ready to book some vacation in the fall for the Wife and I. Looking for any information on how I can utilize multiple certificates on the reservations? Can I do this when making the reservations or is it something I'll actually have to call into to accomplish.

All advice and help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In general, you can use one 016 voucher and one TCVA per ticket. If you have more than one ticket on a PNR, you should be able to use one TCVA per ticket, but you cannot use any 016 vouchers without calling.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-ecerts.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...te-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ates-tcva.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tificates.html
Old May 30, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Multiple Travel Certificates on a single Reservation

If a TCVA, one per passenger on an itin can be used - so if you are flying just yourself then you can only use 1 - if you and 1 other, can use 2, etc. Can be done online.

For 1016/016 ecerts, generally it's 1 per itin, AFAIK, but you'd have to check the T&Cs. Web support may be willing to redeem multiple, however, I wouldn't expect them to make any exceptions.

One strategy for using more than 1 for an itin can be by booking two one-way itineraries instead of a roundtrip - note that some may price out the same this way and other routes may price out much higher this way (especially international routes) where this strategy wouldn't be useful. Also, you'll have to note other disadvantages of booking one-way flights - such as changing both outbound and return will result in 2 change fees.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Can I combine two vouchers?

Sorry if this is a very basic question, but I'm kind of a newbie with UA. I've flown plenty with DL/AA, but UA is kind of a new ballgame to me.

I received two vouchers for some troubles I had with UA in June. Is it possible to use both towards one ticket? $150 and $50 is what I have.

The website seems to only allow one field, but would calling in be a possibility? I believe they are e-vouchers, but am not entirely sure.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
... I received two vouchers for some troubles I had with UA in June. Is it possible to use both towards one ticket? $150 and $50 is what I have. ....
General answer is no. Only one of the same type per traveler.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In general, you can use one 016 voucher and one TCVA per ticket. If you have more than one ticket on a PNR, you should be able to use one TCVA per ticket, but you cannot use any 016 vouchers without calling.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If a TCVA, one per passenger on an itin can be used - so if you are flying just yourself then you can only use 1 - if you and 1 other, can use 2, etc. Can be done online.

For 1016/016 ecerts, generally it's 1 per itin, AFAIK, but you'd have to check the T&Cs. Web support may be willing to redeem multiple, however, I wouldn't expect them to make any exceptions.

One strategy for using more than 1 for an itin can be by booking two one-way itineraries instead of a roundtrip - note that some may price out the same this way and other routes may price out much higher this way (especially international routes) where this strategy wouldn't be useful. Also, you'll have to note other disadvantages of booking one-way flights - such as changing both outbound and return will result in 2 change fees.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
General answer is no. Only one of the same type per traveler.
Many thanks, appreciate it. Bummer, but kind of what I've suspected.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:57 pm

1 voucher for multiple travelers?

Slightly different question, but can I use the value from one voucher on multiple bookings or atleast on multiple passengers?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshuadwagner
Slightly different question, but can I use the value from one voucher on multiple bookings or atleast on multiple passengers?
Yes, assuming this is a TCVA-type voucher you can. If you have, say, a $500 and want to use on 2 - $200 tickets and half of a third, you can do this. These kind of vouchers work almost like a gift card - you can use them again and again until the balance is gone.

If their are multiple passengers on one itinerary, you should be able to enter in the Promo code/PIN as a form of payment and apply it to the first person on the reservation (first), then re-enter the promo code for person 2, etc. until it is used.

Alternatively, if you use it on a single-person itinerary for yourself, the amount will be removed from your balance, and the remainder will be available for use on future itineraries up until the expiry date or all is used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.