Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A few positive words about UA's international C

A few positive words about UA's international C

Old May 29, 14, 1:26 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
I admit it - I've become one of AA's biggest fans. With 98% of my work travel being domestic, it's not surprising as I think AA is leaps and bounds ahead of UA on the domestic front.

However, I flew AA J international, for the first time since making the switch to AA, this evening (DFW - LIM) and I was so underwhelmed and it left me baffled as to why UA isn't dominating the international space for customers flying US carriers as they should be.

On food: AA salad was slightly better but the steak while juicy was quite rubbery so I'd call it a draw with UA's international food (and worse than some domestic F meals I've had on AA)

On service: AA was very mediocre - the FA who was handing out customs cards accidentally gave me one in Spanish (which I can kinda sorta read / speak). When I realized the issue I went up and asked an FA if there was an English one. Four hours later she got back to me to inform me there wasn't. This is as an EXP in J (Y ticket + SWU), really it took 4 hours to get an answer? Overall they were pretty meh - and I definitely was treated worse for looking young despite being in my mid-twenties (you can tell - not calling you Mr. Flyerdude88 when they're calling everyone else Mr. XYZ and Mrs. XYZ, not refilling your drink when they're refilling everyone else's, etc.). So I'd say it was on par with UA's mediocre crews

On the seat: Not even close. Granted this is AA's older NGBC however since that seat is on almost every route still, it's a valid comparison. I'm thin and about 5'11/6'0 it still felt narrow and short and obviously doesn't even lie-flat. UA's seat blows it out of the water, even the 2-4-2 version on sUA 772s and definitely the 2-2-2 on a 763 (which is what I was flying)

If UA could just find a way to improve their service somewhat and food somewhat they could really find success in the international space. It doesn't even have to be by that much - AA isn't that much better. I obviously don't have access to the numbers or models they use but surely spending $5-7 more on food and service would yield a solid return. The seat is better and they do have a better route network than both DL and AA.

It blows my mind that they've managed to squander both advantages - since they only have the lie-flat advantage until AA and DL complete their refurbs with arguably better lie-flats and definitely better configurations
Old May 29, 14, 8:47 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I recently flew MUC-YUL in an LH A333 with the new J product -- a re-route from the MUC-EWR I had booked -- and was similarly underwhelmed. I've flown the UA (ex-CO) J seats quite a bit and am very familiar and quite satisfied with the product.

The LH food wasn't as good. We had a good crew, so the service was excellent. The seat itself is roughly comparable with the UA seat; each has some quirks, but I prefer the UA seat overall (more storage). UA wins the AVOD comparison hands down. The LH system is easy to navigate, but there is simply less content.

I am a big LH fan; I love how efficiently they run their operations and have had nothing but good experiences with them on the ground and in the air. But I will still go with UA's long-haul J product (excluding the 4-across 772's) over them every time.
Old May 30, 14, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Agree

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
better than LH but we are still talking about bottom of the barral. Delta is much better so is Swiss. Even AZ is better. The hard product sCO is fine, the sUA product is horrible. LH's hard product is poor, even the 748i is not that great IMO but the soft product is much better IMO.
Absolutely Agree!^ I hate the 2-4-2. What a horrid set-up, in addition to the "tray" service.
Old Aug 3, 14, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
KA's longest flight is ~2000 miles (apples to oranges comparison).
I flew KA Atlanta, GA to Inchon, way more than 2k miles.
Old Aug 3, 14, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red1775 View Post
You likely flew KE, not KA
Old Aug 3, 14, 6:56 am

Korean Airlines, just to be sure.
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
"Middle Seat" term usage in 2-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-2-1 configs?

So in some UA premium configurations, we have 2-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-2-1, etc where there are no middle seats, but since the aisle seats are not all the same, do any of you re-allocate the "middle seat" term to describe the center pair/single seats in those configurations?

I feel like in a 1-2-1 config, "aisle seat" is kinda redundant since every seat is an "aisle", so I figured I'd just use window vs middle seat, some phone agents seem to get it when I say middle, some don't.

In the 2-2-2 or 2-1-2 config, I find the "middle" seat actually the most desirable as you have unrestricted aisle access and don't have to get up for anyone, so I tend to ask for a "middle seat" and sometimes, agents get it, and sometimes they don't.

Anyone else use these terms?
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
So in some UA premium configurations, we have 2-2-2, 2-1-2, 1-2-1, etc where there are no middle seats, but since the aisle seats are not all the same, do any of you re-allocate the "middle seat" term to describe the center pair/single seats in those configurations?

I feel like in a 1-2-1 config, "aisle seat" is kinda redundant since every seat is an "aisle", so I figured I'd just use window vs middle seat, some phone agents seem to get it when I say middle, some don't.

In the 2-2-2 or 2-1-2 config, I find the "middle" seat actually the most desirable as you have unrestricted aisle access and don't have to get up for anyone, so I tend to ask for a "middle seat" and sometimes, agents get it, and sometimes they don't.

Anyone else use these terms?
I say "middle column".

for 1-2-1, would be "window" or "middle" (but there are no BF seats in that config, only GF)
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
No one will argue it's inferior to UA hard-product wise...
Actually, I will at least mildly argue it.

Just flew LH's older 744 aircraft FRA-ORD in the nose section, seats 3 H/K. As a day flight, I only tested the angle-flat briefly. I agree it's uncomfortable. But UA's 764 lie-flat on the outbound (EWR-MPX) was also not great - the foot cubby is absurdly small so I couldn't make use of the flat seat anyway.

LH had much more shoulder, elbow and foot room, and up in the nose at least, much better sense of personal space and FA attention. It was also possible for me to get to the aisle from 3K when my companion was napping full extension, but on UA, it was much tighter and complicated.

I agree that UA IFE is far better, though on our flight the VOD worked but no music, which I would very much have used during a lengthy section of moderate chop overnight - too rough for me to sleep, too tired to watch a film, but no music.

Bottom line for me is I would absolutely choose the LH 744 as long as I could get in rows 1-4. The main section with 2-3-2 seating looked much less appealing.
I just don't really sleep successfully TATL, whether Y+, Y exit row, or (so far) in Biz. I'd like to try DL's front end - but their prices out of MSP are nuts.

I'll still take LH's soft product every day of the week over UA though.
Yep.

Last edited by RaflW; Aug 3, 14 at 9:57 am
Old Aug 3, 14, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor View Post
I've flown the UA (ex-CO) J seats quite a bit and am very familiar and quite satisfied with the product.

The LH food wasn't as good. We had a good crew, so the service was excellent. The seat itself is roughly comparable with the UA seat; each has some quirks, but I prefer the UA seat overall (more storage). UA wins the AVOD comparison hands down. The LH system is easy to navigate, but there is simply less content.

I am a big LH fan; I love how efficiently they run their operations and have had nothing but good experiences with them on the ground and in the air. But I will still go with UA's long-haul J product (excluding the 4-across 772's) over them every time.
Agree with the comments regarding UA's C seat overall - it's comfortable, and compares well with the other new C products I've flown recently (BA and VS). The service is of course variable, but seems to be improving, albeit very slowly.

I also dislike the 2-4-2 arrangement when flying in one of the "middle" seats, but despite flying primarily on miles+money upgrades, haven't had to sit in one yet this year (about 16 TATL flights). If I do, I will still thank my lucky stars that I'm not in economy
Old Aug 3, 14, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by flyerdude88 View Post
I admit it - I've become one of AA's biggest fans. With 98% of my work travel being domestic, it's not surprising as I think AA is leaps and bounds ahead of UA on the domestic front.

However, I flew AA J international, for the first time since making the switch to AA, this evening (DFW - LIM) and I was so underwhelmed and it left me baffled as to why UA isn't dominating the international space for customers flying US carriers as they should be.

On food: AA salad was slightly better but the steak while juicy was quite rubbery so I'd call it a draw with UA's international food (and worse than some domestic F meals I've had on AA)

On service: AA was very mediocre - the FA who was handing out customs cards accidentally gave me one in Spanish (which I can kinda sorta read / speak). When I realized the issue I went up and asked an FA if there was an English one. Four hours later she got back to me to inform me there wasn't. This is as an EXP in J (Y ticket + SWU), really it took 4 hours to get an answer? Overall they were pretty meh - and I definitely was treated worse for looking young despite being in my mid-twenties
I got a chuckle out of your last sentence: I would venture that you are young - enjoy it while it lasts (and ignore the perceived slights)

I've never been an AA fan, but will try them out going to EZE in a few months - as their price in C/F was so much lower than UA's.
Old Aug 3, 14, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW View Post
Bottom line for me is I would absolutely choose the LH 744 as long as I could get in rows 1-4.
Interesting - I flew them last month in 3A and will avoid this old configuration when there are other options including anything on UA. For business, the seat was awful, IFE was dated, and the service/food were only slightly better than on UA.
Old Aug 3, 14, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Red1775 View Post
KA is Dragon Air, a CX (Cathay Pacific) sub that flies regional routes in Asia.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: