Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A few positive words about UA's international C

A few positive words about UA's international C

Old May 27, 14, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by andrewwm View Post
I find LH's food to be basically plated Y food (which, to be fair, is much better than UA's Y food), but it's still small portions/not particularly tasty. UA's food is nothing to write home about, but it's usually fairly edible and filling.
Portion size is a cultural thing. Personally I find the gargantuan portions in UA C to be off-putting.
Old May 27, 14, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
3 hr MX delay wrecked my connection, got what I expected with the express food service late...yes, I try and occasionally toss them a bone, and all for naught. That will be my one and only premium fare on the year, just not worth it.

There's some value still to be extracted from 1K...but best to give the minimal amount necessary to get there.

Last edited by l etoile; May 27, 14 at 8:28 am Reason: Removed deleted post and response thereto
Old May 27, 14, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
OP, if you're going to look forward to a premium LH cabin flight, it's vitally important that you start here:

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Business-Class-Product

I have yet to fly the new C but can attest that both the soft and hard product in the new F is as good as it gets in the air. Of course where the soft is concerned, I guess I don't have statistically significant enough experience to say with certainty. In any event, you got the old hard C and that's no bueano.
Old May 27, 14, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag View Post
LH is not as good as UA between NRT and FRA? Don't think a lot of people have the experience to compare them on this route.
But a lot can compare on the same equipment: 744. I'll definitely take UA any day of the week. But as others have said, F is entirely another matter.
Old May 27, 14, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red1775 View Post
I really enjoy UA BF, have flown KA BC and it was awful. Delta wasn't much better than KA and AF was the worst. Just my view though.
KA's longest flight is ~2000 miles (apples to oranges comparison).
Old May 27, 14, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Recently flew the LH 747-800 IAD to FRA. We sat upstairs, as I prefer on 747s. I agree that the seats are hard and the AVOD was not user friendly. I've flown many LH flights and a common theme is the hard seat. However, the service was terrific, food was outstanding and the drink selection way outpaced UA. Glenfiddich vs Dewars.

IMHO UAs C product, at least on the 777 (2-4-2) configuration, is subpar to LH's. Don't get me started on the 4 seats in C jammed together.
Old May 27, 14, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by spearsba View Post
Recently flew the LH 747-800 IAD to FRA. We sat upstairs, as I prefer on 747s. I agree that the seats are hard and the AVOD was not user friendly. I've flown many LH flights and a common theme is the hard seat. However, the service was terrific, food was outstanding and the drink selection way outpaced UA. Glenfiddich vs Dewars.

IMHO UAs C product, at least on the 777 (2-4-2) configuration, is subpar to LH's. Don't get me started on the 4 seats in C jammed together.
This.

I would much prefer LH's old C over being stuck in a seat with no direct aisle or window access.
Old May 27, 14, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by work2fly View Post
This.

I would much prefer LH's old C over being stuck in a seat with no direct aisle or window access.
The LH 744 is 2-3-2 in J. Same deal if you're stuck in the middle.
Old May 27, 14, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
1<2
Old May 27, 14, 10:53 am

At this point, I can't foresee traveling by myself, so an aisle and a middle wouldn't be an issue.

On UA, there's a decent chance that a couple purchasing a last minute full fare ticket could be stuck in 2 middles. I don't see that as endearing future premium spend
Old May 27, 14, 11:03 am

That's why I prefer upstairs, 2-2. 2-3-2 is much better that 2-4-2. On 2-3-2 you have a buffer between pax. On 2-4-2 the two middles only have a tiny arms rest. Even the old UA 777 C cabin at 2-3-2 had separation between pax.
Old May 27, 14, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
1<2
Originally Posted by work2fly View Post
At this point, I can't foresee traveling by myself, so an aisle and a middle wouldn't be an issue.

On UA, there's a decent chance that a couple purchasing a last minute full fare ticket could be stuck in 2 middles. I don't see that as endearing future premium spend
Originally Posted by spearsba View Post
That's why I prefer upstairs, 2-2. 2-3-2 is much better that 2-4-2. On 2-3-2 you have a buffer between pax. On 2-4-2 the two middles only have a tiny arms rest. Even the old UA 777 C cabin at 2-3-2 had separation between pax.
I was simply responding to the statement "I would much prefer LH's old C over being stuck in a seat with no direct aisle or window access." The fact is, on LH's 744 with old C, you can very well be stuck in the middle "with no direct aisle or window access."

In any event, for an overnight flight, I would take a middle lie-flat on the 772 over any angled-lie flat on LH.
Old May 27, 14, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
In any event, for an overnight flight, I would take a middle lie-flat on the 772 over any angled-lie flat on LH.
I'd probably take about any lie-flat over any angled "C-sled" anything! Sure, I could nap (esp after some decent booze - back when they had such a thing) but I could never truly sleep on those things. Not on any airline. Just horrible. At least with the lie-flat you wouldn't know you were in the middle while soundly sleeping.
Old May 27, 14, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I'd probably take about any lie-flat over any angled "C-sled" anything! Sure, I could nap (esp after some decent booze - back when they had such a thing) but I could never truly sleep on those things. Not on any airline. Just horrible. At least with the lie-flat you wouldn't know you were in the middle while soundly sleeping.
I'm the opposite. I do not like to lie all the way down to sleep on the plane. Being in C class and having someone sooo close on the 2-4-2 middle seat is just not acceptable to me. But that's just MHO..
Old May 27, 14, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
better than LH but we are still talking about bottom of the barral. Delta is much better so is Swiss. Even AZ is better. The hard product sCO is fine, the sUA product is horrible. LH's hard product is poor, even the 748i is not that great IMO but the soft product is much better IMO.
LH has more service oriented FAs though in my experience even with a poor hard product. sUA business is much better though than sCO. The 777 2 class feels like something out of the 1990! I will take a 747 or 767 300 anyday over the 787 or 777 2 class in business!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: