Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever experience a solo flight on UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone ever experience a solo flight on UA?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 2:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
.... when I went to the rental car agent, there was only me & agents--not a single other pax.
travel enough and this is a regular late night occurrence. I can not count the number of times I had to "arouse" someone at rental car counters at 1, 2, 3AM.

UX flight -- FSD-(PIR?)-HON --- 1 human passagner but at the immediate stop we added a (hunting?) dog. (25-30 years and not sure if it was PIR or ABR.)
Old May 25, 2014, 2:47 pm

ABE-EWR, 1968 (OK, I know a long time ago -- I've been at this for awhile). Only pax on a UA 727, tag end of a ORD-ABE flight
Old May 25, 2014, 7:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I'm sure some remember the 747 with the extra biz class seats for Asia market. UA would use that on the 3pm flight from LAX-ORD. There were just a couple times when they had everyone sitting in the UD and the two business class cabins downstairs were empty. I miss those days of domestic 747s and 777s. People would get on the plane and be excited to fly the 747 for the first time.
I have an old (1997) UA timetable with those 747-400s in it. Almost as many Business seats as Coach, crazy to think about now.

Incidentally, my emptiest UA flight was the 9 PM MRY-LAX CRJ-200 back in 2011. Five people including me. The fact that it had gotten delayed helped as people bailed onto the MRY-SFO flight.
Old May 25, 2014, 7:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
On an RJ145 in 2012 from AEX-IAH I was one of three passengers on the last flight of the day. We left seven minutes after the incoming flight arrived at the gate which was 25 minutes before scheduled departure because we were the only confirmed passengers on the flight.
Old May 25, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Had a flight in mid 2000s YYZ-ORD. Don't remember the exact details, but YYZ had a snowstorm and ORD was bad weather too. The '5pm' 757 was delayed and I was on the 7pm. Both planes at the gate with delay but confirmations crew as legal and we'd be going...so went to the AC lounge. No announcements / pages or anything. Went to gate around boarding time and apparently they had tried to put all the 7pm pax on the 5pm 757, but couldn't find me and two others in Y.

The(foiled) plan was to deadhead the 7pm crew and ferry plane back to ORD. 3 of us spoiled that, so we boarded and had A320 to ourselves (could've been 737 but seem to remember 3 F rows). The funny thing was me in F and 2 in first row of Y. And they didn't upgrade the two in Y who had some type of status to be in bulkhead...which probably would have been easier on the crew.

Probably violated a policy of some sort but they made 'us' go through the safety briefing to see if we ever paid attention in a Q&A...it was all good fun from start to finish and personalized service throughout the flight.

The look on the gate agents in ORD when we arrived to ORD bad weather chaos and 3 of us exited to a packed gate hoping to get wherever this plane was trying to go was priceless...sort of a...we have 100 standbys trying to go out on every remaining flight tonight and 3 of you walk of this plane????
Old May 25, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Sometimes they would leave the cockpit door open too.
Back in the 70's we would take our deer rifles in a soft case onto the plane and give it to the captain who would hand it back upon arrival. Then we would sit in our assigned smoking seats and light up @ wheels up!
Yeah, dem were da days!!! ^
Old May 25, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Closest I can come is NRT HNL on CO on a 747-200, only 4 in BusinessFirst out of 50 seats, and Y had barely 40. My friend, and me, and a couple on their honeymoon. I had flown the inagural flight from EWR NRT, continued to HKG, and planned to fly home HKG GUM HNL EWR, but they rerouted us HKG NRT HNL EWR.

Fabulous flight. Heavy turbulence the entire way, but crew was awesome, and didnt' fail to offer every bottle of wine they had on board!
Old May 26, 2014, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bohlia123
A few years ago, I was on a DCA-EWR flight - last one of the day. Only two passengers were me and my boss...nobody else other than crew. FA was awesome and you could tell she wanted to sit and drink with us. Clearly a repositioning flight as they'd otherwise cancel with our collective $250 fare on that segment!

Anyone every been the only passenger on a UA flight?
Not UA. A few years back I flew HK to SFO on Singapore and I was the only one in Business Class. No one in First. Cheapskates wouldn't let me use a First Class seat to sleep.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Back in the 70's we would take our deer rifles in a soft case onto the plane and give it to the captain who would hand it back upon arrival. Then we would sit in our assigned smoking seats and light up @ wheels up!
Yeah, dem were da days!!! ^
I got to see a 747 land from a jump seat ....very cool...and once saw the jump seat landing into the old Hong Kong airport.

I kissed the ground after the second one.
Old May 26, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Did the B1900 only have 19 or fewer seats? I thought they were larger. They would also have to be operating under Part 135 if I'm not mistaken.
They're limited to 19 seats. If the plane has more than 9 seats, is has to operate under 121, and even then a flight attendant still isn't required unless the aircraft has more than 19 seats.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DXjr
They're limited to 19 seats. If the plane has more than 9 seats, is has to operate under 121, and even then a flight attendant still isn't required unless the aircraft has more than 19 seats.
Every seat and aisle and window.

8 rows of two across, plus the infamous row 9 of three across.

Seat 9C had no seat stowage since it was on the aisle. With the cockpit door/curtain open you could get quite air sick seeing the pitching ahead of you.

There was often a latch that makes a horrible buzzing on takeoff that I used to stick my biz card in to stop...probably a Federal crime for illegally modifying an aircraft in flight.

I flew a 150 segments a year on these on Commut Air back when I carried the bag.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
I saw this thread and had to respond and comment. Twice this year this has happened. Not on UA but the first was Island Air from MKK to HNL in February. It was delayed for 3 hours and most took another flight but I stayed on it. Was quite interesting. The 2nd was on DL CVg to DTW. Was coming back from Vegas and the CVG connection was cheaper. Flight again was delayed and pushed back 4 times. When they called passengers up for rebooking I was the only 1 who DTW was my destination so I sat in 1A on CRJ 700 as only passenger had 4 cocktails and 10 biscoffs.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
One time about 20 years ago when DL was still flying 727's, there were two of us in coach on a late night flight from Sarasota to Atlanta. The FA's went ahead and told us to go ahead and sit in First Class.

Even though it was neat being only two passengers on the plane, it was also kind of spooky. The back of the plane was dark and empty. Weird feeling.

PS...I vividly remember beings that this flight was basically totally empty how fast the flight got airborne. Again, weird feeling.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not UA. A few years back I flew HK to SFO on Singapore and I was the only one in Business Class. No one in First. Cheapskates wouldn't let me use a First Class seat to sleep.
I had a similar experience in 2003 during the SARS outbreak from LAX-NRT...I was the only one in F on a 747...there was no one in C and less than 20 people in Y...most with surgical masks on. I ended up playing cards with a number of crew for much of the flight...including one of the relief pilots. My continuing flight to SIN had 11 people on the plane (747 again)...two(including me) in F and the rest in C...they had moved everyone into the premium cabins...once again a great flight. We were met in SIN by teams of doctors and nurses with thermal imaging devices taking each passengers temperature to make sure we were not sick.

Extraordinary experiences during extraordinary times!
Old May 26, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Looong ago, the was a 6AM 757 ORD-YYZ flight. It was a Wednesday and there was myself in FC, a passenger in the emergency exit aisle by the door (first row in coach) and the crew.

I'm sure some remember the 747 with the extra biz class seats for Asia market. UA would use that on the 3pm flight from LAX-ORD. There were just a couple times when they had everyone sitting in the UD and the two business class cabins downstairs were empty. I miss those days of domestic 747s and 777s. People would get on the plane and be excited to fly the 747 for the first time.
Including me. I loved that ORD-LAX 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.