Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MattR23
UPDATE 4/11/16: Expert Mode is back for revenue flight searches. You may need to log out and back in again to see it appear. Expert mode currently does not appear in award flight searches.

As of at least 3/20/16, Expert mode either does not display in searches or displays information which may not be accurate. United IT is aware of the issue but no timeline for a fix has been released.

As a workaround to see if there's available upgrade space, use the Advanced Search feature and select the upgrade type. On the flight search results page, you'll see green up arrows when upgrade space is available. Otherwise, a yellow up arrow will indicate that the segment is waitlist only.

How to enable Expert Mode:
- Go to 'My Account” on United.com
- Scroll down to 'Profile', select 'Manage Profile'
- 'View All Flight Search Preferences', where one has to check the box:
- [X] I acknowledge these considerations and choose to enable Expert Mode.
Used to work but now does not:
- Make sure you are fully logged on
United.com has a soft login and a full login mode. When you come back after a previous visit to the home page, it may remember you and display your account info. This is the soft login mode and occurs because you select “Remember Me.” Soft login is not sufficient for Expert Mode, so some do not use the “Remember Me” function due to the confusion it creates.
For access to Expert Mode and most account details, you need first to do a formal login. You can force this by attempting to access your profile or itinerary details or accessing your mileage posting history or …
You will lose the full logged-in status by closing the browser window or after some period of time or ….
- Only works in flight search mode
- Make sure you really are registered for expert mode (some find it gets disabled / unchecked)
- Clear UA cookies
- Try another browser / computer
If you had been using a browser extension to auto display fare buckets, check to make sure it is still installed. Browser updates sometimes disable browser extensions.

What is Expert Mode ? -- see Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data
Print Wikipost

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

New to the forum, but been a 1k for the last 5 years.
the expert mode for united.com recently stopped working for me. i have also tried a few other account from friends, and do not work for them either.
does anyone know what happen?
thanks
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What do you mean it isn't working? It works just fine for me. Are you fully logged in to the site? There are two levels of logged in on united.com; the first just knows your name while the second shows you all your account details. Only in the second state will expert mode work.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

yes, i did fully log in, i have tried different browser on different computers with different accounts. very bizarre, never happened before.
my recent booking of EWR to PEK suffer since i could not check the upgrade seating availability and my request of upgrade still not cleared as of today with only a few days left to go.
i am hoping to see if someone else runs into the similar issue to shed some lights...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Yes.

One would think that expert mode would be enabled when one is "weakly" logged in. After all, it is simply sharing information available to many people, not a security threat to the person signed in.

On the other hand, try checking Mileage Upgrade Award for a one way flight search. The next page asks you which flight you want to upgrade.

Fit and finish isn't United.com's long suit.

Let's not get into parsing dates and phone numbers. If 80% of the population could guess the intent of the typing, given one try and the threat of a hangman's noose if they got it wrong, then there's absolutely no excuse for computer code not to accept the input in 2014. To mess this up is a deep embarrassment to any of us who program. But this is a widespread problem, with many sites in United's reading group.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The 'Fare class' links shw up just fine for me -- and work as expected. Please verify you are properly logged into your account.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin Wang
yes, i did fully log in, i have tried different browser on different computers with different accounts. very bizarre, never happened before.
It is definitely working for me, showing all the buckets on all the flights. Maybe check your account to make sure the option is still enabled. Otherwise I can only think that it is something about the way you are searching as it works for my accounts and my computers just fine. If you really cannot get there on multiple computers and multiple accounts I would be quite surprised unless there is a user error along the way.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the reply, knowing that it works for you guys prompt me to did one more try. i realized that the expert mode result interface changed recently and by default, it collapse without showing the fare number, while it used to display all the fare availability by default without me clicking on it.
another weird thing is united opened up more business/first seat for sale, when i searched earlier today, there was only 3 seats left (which i confirmed by talking to an agent sunday night), but it shows there are more than 7 seats left at this moment.
i guess the agent did not really look into the availability seat chart either and probably simply pulled out the same data that i saw and provided me the wrong information.
finger crossed and hope the clear the upgrade in the next day or two for this 14 hours flight.
thanks again
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If by "recently" you mean last year or so...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

noticed this early this year while booking but did not care about using upgrade, so did not pay attention to the change of UI...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:53 pm

thanks for all the reply, knowing that it works for you guys prompt me to did one more try. i realized that the expert mode result interface changed recently and by default, it collapse without showing the fare number, while it used to display all the fare availability by default without me clicking on it.
Those boxes haven't been open by default for a long, long time, if ever on the sCO version of the website currently in use. Any chance you've lost the greasemonkey/tampermonkey script to pop them open automatically??
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
thanks for all the reply, knowing that it works for you guys prompt me to did one more try. i realized that the expert mode result interface changed recently and by default, it collapse without showing the fare number, while it used to display all the fare availability by default without me clicking on it. ....
your have lost the browser helper as smb12 mentions -- the default UA operation requires you to select the fare class but browser helper developed by FTer makes it automatically appear.

... another weird thing is united opened up more business/first seat for sale, when i searched earlier today, there was only 3 seats left (which i confirmed by talking to an agent sunday night), but it shows there are more than 7 seats left at this moment.
i guess the agent did not really look into the availability seat chart either and probably simply pulled out the same data that i saw and provided me the wrong information....
inventory change all the time -- people change plans
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Syzygies
One would think that expert mode would be enabled when one is "weakly" logged in.
They have to make sure you're fully logged in because of the disclaimer you're required to agree to.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Those boxes haven't been open by default for a long, long time, if ever on the sCO version of the website currently in use. Any chance you've lost the greasemonkey/tampermonkey script to pop them open automatically??
Especially if using Chrome, as all "external" plugins were disabled in the last week or so - many functions that people probably thought were built in would have stopped (which is why you've added your plugins to the Web Store)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:06 am
Original Poster

the plugin explanation makes a lot of senses! thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Expert Mode

Is anyone having issues with this? I can't get it to display the info and I have it set up in my profile options on .bomb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.