Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MattR23
UPDATE 4/11/16: Expert Mode is back for revenue flight searches. You may need to log out and back in again to see it appear. Expert mode currently does not appear in award flight searches.

As of at least 3/20/16, Expert mode either does not display in searches or displays information which may not be accurate. United IT is aware of the issue but no timeline for a fix has been released.

As a workaround to see if there's available upgrade space, use the Advanced Search feature and select the upgrade type. On the flight search results page, you'll see green up arrows when upgrade space is available. Otherwise, a yellow up arrow will indicate that the segment is waitlist only.

How to enable Expert Mode:
- Go to 'My Account” on United.com
- Scroll down to 'Profile', select 'Manage Profile'
- 'View All Flight Search Preferences', where one has to check the box:
- [X] I acknowledge these considerations and choose to enable Expert Mode.
Used to work but now does not:
- Make sure you are fully logged on
United.com has a soft login and a full login mode. When you come back after a previous visit to the home page, it may remember you and display your account info. This is the soft login mode and occurs because you select “Remember Me.” Soft login is not sufficient for Expert Mode, so some do not use the “Remember Me” function due to the confusion it creates.
For access to Expert Mode and most account details, you need first to do a formal login. You can force this by attempting to access your profile or itinerary details or accessing your mileage posting history or …
You will lose the full logged-in status by closing the browser window or after some period of time or ….
- Only works in flight search mode
- Make sure you really are registered for expert mode (some find it gets disabled / unchecked)
- Clear UA cookies
- Try another browser / computer
If you had been using a browser extension to auto display fare buckets, check to make sure it is still installed. Browser updates sometimes disable browser extensions.

What is Expert Mode ? -- see Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data
Print Wikipost

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
its back for me! yay

Me too!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Back for me as well, bravo!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by entropy
its back for me! yay
Double yay as its back for me as well!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
If I try to book a one way award ticket, I can see the details. However if I try to book a round trip ticket, I get this message.

Error
We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request.

Please try again later or contact Web Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573, in the U.K. at 0800 028 5003 or elsewhere at the local phone number.

It's been doing this for the last two hours. Happens under my MP # and Mrs. LAXOGG's MP #. Great! Now I have to call in to book with an agent.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
It's back for me as well.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Only showing up in revenue searches for me.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
If I try to book a one way award ticket, I can see the details. However if I try to book a round trip ticket, I get this message.

Error
We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request.

Please try again later or contact Web Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573, in the U.K. at 0800 028 5003 or elsewhere at the local phone number.

It's been doing this for the last two hours. Happens under my MP # and Mrs. LAXOGG's MP #. Great! Now I have to call in to book with an agent.
Still is and has been like this for me the last few weeks. Had to book through GS last night. Big pain in the butt.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Yes! It is a miracle! Round trip travel too.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, to sum it up, it seems to work for revenue 1-way and roundtrip (multileg?), and 1-way award, but not r/t (multileg) award searches.
At least still a major step to reestablish expert mode.
Hopefully, all will be functional again soon.

Last edited by cesco.g; Apr 11, 2016 at 11:06 pm
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yes, expert mode appears to be working now as stated above. I still can't price most round trip simple tickets. I get an error after choosing the outbound. It seems to happen more when I've gone past the first page of results.

-RM
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
It's finally back! Maybe UA was sick of hearing from us all and getting calls to the 1K line asking about R space....one can hope
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Thought I would check it out for a trip I have to take:

"We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request."

The more things change....
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
"We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request."
Yes, this is bitter-sweet: it's great that expert mode is back (^) but that becomes almost irrelevant when the rest of the booking process is still broken, and errors out ().
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I wonder what if anything UA IT accomplished while this function was "broken".
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm not seeing expert mode on award searches, is anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.