Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MattR23
UPDATE 4/11/16: Expert Mode is back for revenue flight searches. You may need to log out and back in again to see it appear. Expert mode currently does not appear in award flight searches.

As of at least 3/20/16, Expert mode either does not display in searches or displays information which may not be accurate. United IT is aware of the issue but no timeline for a fix has been released.

As a workaround to see if there's available upgrade space, use the Advanced Search feature and select the upgrade type. On the flight search results page, you'll see green up arrows when upgrade space is available. Otherwise, a yellow up arrow will indicate that the segment is waitlist only.

How to enable Expert Mode:
- Go to 'My Account” on United.com
- Scroll down to 'Profile', select 'Manage Profile'
- 'View All Flight Search Preferences', where one has to check the box:
- [X] I acknowledge these considerations and choose to enable Expert Mode.
Used to work but now does not:
- Make sure you are fully logged on
United.com has a soft login and a full login mode. When you come back after a previous visit to the home page, it may remember you and display your account info. This is the soft login mode and occurs because you select “Remember Me.” Soft login is not sufficient for Expert Mode, so some do not use the “Remember Me” function due to the confusion it creates.
For access to Expert Mode and most account details, you need first to do a formal login. You can force this by attempting to access your profile or itinerary details or accessing your mileage posting history or …
You will lose the full logged-in status by closing the browser window or after some period of time or ….
- Only works in flight search mode
- Make sure you really are registered for expert mode (some find it gets disabled / unchecked)
- Clear UA cookies
- Try another browser / computer
If you had been using a browser extension to auto display fare buckets, check to make sure it is still installed. Browser updates sometimes disable browser extensions.

What is Expert Mode ? -- see Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data
Print Wikipost

Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Well in all honesty it has been buggy since about August.
August of which year?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Another fail.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by narvik
August of which year?
Good point. Pick any one !
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Honestly - this is an abomination. Been trying for days and have just given up - will give my next few months of travel - and $20k - to an airline that wants it...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly - this is an abomination. Been trying for days and have just given up - will give my next few months of travel - and $20k - to an airline that wants it...
Just call the 1 K/GS line and they should be able to book whatever you need. The wait times for the 1 K line was minimal yesterday.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by gv111
Just call the 1 K/GS line and they should be able to book whatever you need. The wait times for the 1 K line was minimal yesterday.
I spent 40 minutes on phone yesterday trying to do just that - and after feeding segments to agents that don't know what they are doing and not getting anywhere I gave up... If they don't know what ON space is, or how to find it - how can they be a GS agent? Oh wait I forgot - they just answer the phone now as "GS" - but they did offer me all sorts of deals for Hertz or hotels for my trip should I want it...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gv111
True but what a waste for a passenger to have to call to find certain fares or upgrade space. UA says it prides itself on its IT and "empowering" its fliers. This change (or glitch) flies in the face of that goal

If the FAA bill ever does come up in the House there should be a push to require ALL airlines to provide transparency on fares per flight - it could be as simple as requiring DOT to develop regs to this effect.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
but they did offer me all sorts of deals for Hertz or hotels for my trip should I want it...
This cross-selling is a recent development and I find it really annoying. I'm sure the agents hate being forced to do it, too.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
This cross-selling is a recent development and I find it really annoying. I'm sure the agents hate being forced to do it, too.
Trust me, they do. I had one agent confide that it made her feel like a "telemarketer"! Told her that I felt badly for her as I politely declined the offers.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
The cross selling has been around for quite a while, but it tends to ebb and flow in the execution. Hopefully it dies out again soon...very annoying to customers and I assume agents as well.

I guess the April 6 update to fix Expert Mode was as massive a failure as should be expected from United.

Idiots.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
A work around I've been using is just make the flight you want to look for buckets on as the last flight of a multi city itin. For example, I was looking IAH-LHR so I changed the origin to BPT and the second leg, IAH-LHR shows the fare buckets now.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by UTex09
A work around I've been using is just make the flight you want to look for buckets on as the last flight of a multi city itin. For example, I was looking IAH-LHR so I changed the origin to BPT and the second leg, IAH-LHR shows the fare buckets now.
But you still don't know -after even having to do all this extra work - IF THEY ARE ACTUALLY ACCURATE lol! This is based on my experiences yesterday on the phone - even when I could get the second / third segments to display the buckets - they were not accurate... Of course, my agent wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed....
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UTex09
While this does work in showing fare buckets for the second leg, there are reports in this thread that the fare buckets displayed may or may not be accurate so YMMV
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
While this does work in showing fare buckets for the second leg, there are reports in this thread that the fare buckets displayed may or may not be accurate so YMMV
Agreed, but everything helps in this predicament, I guess.

Actually, it would be helpful to list city pairs easing the search.
e.g. looking at EWR-LAX, I plugged in MHT-LAX.

Now, searching for early am flights it gets tricky, because there are no connecting flights. For example I want to check the 6h00 & 7h00 am EWR-LAX departure, but there are no connecting flights from MHT that early in the morning.

What an convolution
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g

Now, searching for early am flights it gets tricky, because there are no connecting flights. For example I want to check the 6h00 & 7h00 am EWR-LAX departure, but there are no connecting flights from MHT that early in the morning.
Just use multi city with departure the day before, and EWR-SFO leg will show 7 a.m. flight @:-)

Now accuracy, well ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.