Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS or BRU: which is easier connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Change planes in AMS or BRU?

I've got my eye on "free" tickets IAD-MUC with a change in either AMS or BRU. Can go First or Biz to BRU, Biz only to AMS. Change time 1 hour 35 minutes at both. Is this reasonable at one or both? Is one preferable? I usually try for at least two hours to change so would like expert opinions. Nonstops not available so want to lock something in.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CapitolHill
I've got my eye on "free" tickets IAD-MUC with a change in either AMS or BRU. Can go First or Biz to BRU, Biz only to AMS. Change time 1 hour 35 minutes at both. Is this reasonable at one or both? Is one preferable? I usually try for at least two hours to change so would like expert opinions. Nonstops not available so want to lock something in.
I cannot comment on either, since I've never connected at AMS or BRU. However, I note that LH operates their new first/business on their IAD-MUC flight.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:18 am

Star alliance lounge options are sorry in AMS. Don't know about BRU. I would watch for opening on the nonstop to MUC and pay the change fee if you aren't exempt from fees. Worth it in my opinion.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I hope the LH or UA nonstops eventually become available but for now it's connections only. We've had very good experience in LH Biz and First in the past.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Star alliance lounge options are sorry in AMS. Don't know about BRU. I would watch for opening on the nonstop to MUC and pay the change fee if you aren't exempt from fees. Worth it in my opinion.
With that connection time, lounge access isn't much of an issue. Either airport is fairly easy to navigate.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd take AMS over BRU with 95 minutes going into Schengen in the morning. The terminal change and whatnot is a bit of a pain in BRU. The lounge options are better but that's somewhat less significant to me than making the connection easily.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA *G MM
It's been quite a few years since I connected in AMS, so not sure about the current set-up. The security check in AMS could be bad; they have a tendency to try outdo the TSA in nastiness. My rule has been to avoid AMS and I have done so successfully for maybe 9 years now. However, if they have a set-up where you can avoid security check like MUC, CPH, etc. (i.e. US arriving pax segregated from other "unclean" non-Schengen) but that's unlikely if I recall the airport config, then it might trump BRU.

Overall, my guess is that you are more likely to be delayed at passport or security at AMS. Although I am not sure how the security is set up for transfers based on the reconfiguration at European airports in the last ~5 years. You also have to remember that Star Alliance is going to get the worst possible gates at AMS.

BRU is ok. It's a longish walk from non-Schengen to the newer Schengen terminal through a tunnel. The security is normally painless. You can scan your BP to access gated fast-track security.

There is a decent SAS lounge in BRU. If your flight is on time you should have at least 30 min there with on time arrival. They have basic breakfast items. Often the flights into Europe are early if the winds are good.

p.s. AMS also uses body scanners..... that's enough for me to avoid it.

Last edited by gnaget; Oct 6, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Overall, my guess is that you are more likely to be delayed at passport or security at AMS. Although I am not sure how the security is set up for transfers based on the reconfiguration at European airports in the last ~5 years. You also have to remember that Star Alliance is going to get the worst possible gates at AMS.
Not really true. Since a while, most UA departures are from the D-gates, which are quite close to the B-gate where EU Star Alliance carriers depart from (except SK, they depart from the C-gates). UA arrivals tend to be at the G-gates. All is in walking-distance, no trains or anything needed.

Originally Posted by gnaget
AMS also uses body scanners..... that's enough for me to avoid it.
One could opt-out.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
I don't care for AMS much and there are no *A lounges I could find. I would personally choose BRU. Your connection time is ample in my opinion.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CougarCreek
I don't care for AMS much and there are no *A lounges I could find.
LH use the Servisair lounge. It's certainly not to the standard of a normal LH business/senator lounge, but for a 95 minute connection it's more than adequate.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The other consideration is the timing of the next flight out of AMS or BRU if you are delayed and miss the first.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Not really true. Since a while, most UA departures are from the D-gates, which are quite close to the B-gate where EU Star Alliance carriers depart from (except SK, they depart from the C-gates). UA arrivals tend to be at the G-gates. All is in walking-distance, no trains or anything needed.

One could opt-out.
Well, than it hasn't changed. It's a long walk from G to B and C. Certainly as long as the tunnel in BRU. At AMS you are walking zig-zag through shopping areas, so it's harder to make good time than going straight through the tunnel at BRU. It's also a lot calmer and airier at BRU. It's hard to pinpoint, but AMS has a very negative ambiance.

So United moves the planes from G to D? That seems inefficient.

Back when I used to go thru AMS there was no security on arrival from outside Schengen. Not sure if the arrival security will have body scanners, but you certainly will experience them if you fly via AMS on the return to the US.

Opt-out of the body scan, eh? Wonderful; so that you can be groped. Thus, at AMS you will probably get body scanned at the gate when you fly to the US with United so definitely avoid it inbound. That means you will have to go through security twice on the way back: both MUC and AMS. If you fly through most other European airports you are "clean" at the first point since 2008 or 2009. AMS was doing this nonsense already in the 1990s. They used to have an interrogation at the gate as well back then. I avoided AMS when going to the US when I flew UA; I would only consider it going US-AMS-Europe and wound up using AMS ca. 2002-2005 only because of very good availability for W fares and confirmable upgrade SWUs (in case sold out in cheaper classes via FRA/MUC).

BRU used to have extra gate security for UA flights but stopped as of 2009, I think. There is no way of separating US passengers at BRU (correct me if I am wrong), so you can't avoid arrival security. (Actually you join the flow of departing passengers making their way to the Schengen A gates.) Arriving and connecting in MUC these days is wonderful. I flew ORD-MUC-IST and I would have had literally 1 minute to my next gate if I hadn't gone to the lounge.

Does the Servisair lounge at AMS or whatever it's called still have the bright blue vinyl seats? The most hideous decor ever.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'd do BRU. Connection time is enough to do comfortably in both airports. Lounges stink in both airports. F is simply the kicker here.
Bonus: BRU-MUC is *slightly* shorter than AMS-MUC, meaning less time on crappy narrowbody LH aircraft. And it looks like AMS-MUC is only regional aircraft, so another bonus (barely) of BRU.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
I connected through AMS earlier this year from Istanbul back to Houston. The connection was relatively seamless, and I experienced no problems. On the other hand, I have flown in and out of BRU many times, and have found the staff most excellent. Personally, I would go into BRU because of the greater presence of star alliance. If anything happens there should be more opportunities to accommodate you.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
BRU also has better places to purchase chocolate,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.