SFO-MSP going RJ?

Old May 17, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
United Airlines has pulled out of the market. Skywest is not United Airlines.

I hate of Express is due to UA blaming anything that goes wrong on skywest

Again, UA is not in the market with 2 express flights with no service.

It's a shame UA thought of First Class in an rj and didn't advance it at all.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by LASUA1K

Totally agree. Particularly when competition outnumbers them in seats, comfort, IFE/wifi, food, the list goes on.

There comes a point where you question whether the folks at the top are actively trying to make customers leave. I wish I was being sarcastic.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:41 pm

Sounds like you have information we don't.

Please share more details!
Old May 17, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by trk1
Actually the schedule change is an improvement:

goes from 1 319 daily to 2 E-175 Daily (Msp-Sfo) 7:30am and 5:00pm
and allows morning and evening service

seat count goes from 120 to 152

all coaches seats are 2 and 2
first class goes from 8 to 24 seats
175s may have food

this is really a comfortable plane with more frequency

Flyer talk continues with all negative but never good news
+1

E-175s are huge upgrades over A319s. They have 12 F seats instead of 8 and E+ and E is way more spacious as well.

Some people just want to complain just to complain...
Old May 17, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by fly18725
What type of meal service is offered in F?
None, but that should've already been known given how UA caters everything else.

I don't think the CRJ-700s, at least for SkyWest were ordered in UAL's spec, but that's not really the point. When ExPlus was introduced, F in a regional jet was market leading and there probably wasn't thought about what type of service might be required decades into the future.
You're right that very little thought was put into the future of cabin service, but the cabin and galley were standardized items to meet the requirements of a given service; in this case, UA. However, it should be noted that there's VERY little difference in galley spec between the U.S. carriers on these planes.

Yes, you don't need an oven for cold meals. But if you want to have true F class service, you need to have sufficient cart space to store glass wear, meal trays, etc. My understanding is that the CRJ-700 galleys don't have that right now.
U.S. planes don't, no, but they could have them. Many European, Baltic, and Asian carriers do serve hot items on their RJ flights. Also, thinking back, when SkyWest code-shared with Midwest, they installed ovens to bake the cookies.

UA will have pulled out of the market if it goes at-risk (which is transparent to the passenger,) which I don't see that happening any time soon with these planes.

UA has a perfect chance to turn things around with the E-175, but as far as I know, they didn't care enough to plan for meals, let alone order ovens.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
E-175s are huge upgrades over A319s. They have 12 F seats instead of 8 and E+ and E is way more spacious as well.

Some people just want to complain just to complain.
I don't care about food. And I don't care that much about how many F seats there are for a three hour flight.

What I do care about is getting where I'm going more or less per the schedule. Express is just way more likely to cancel. That can't reasonably be disputed. And when they do cancel, it's way more likely to be a complete CF.

One of the best things about flying UA out of SFO is mainline nonstop to most places people want to go. The more that gets cut, the more likely people are to switch to OAL.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
For this route, DL certainly makes good sense.
Yup. Once they go to an RJ, I'm done with UA on this route.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

please tell me how i can book a ticket on Skywest............I'm on their website and can't seem to find any fares.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
+1

Some people just want to complain just to complain...
I think they are an upgrade if you are sitting in economy. Putting aside that almost all RJ flights are more likely to be delayed or cancelled, I really like the seats in E on those planes so much so I would rather sit in E than in F.

The fact that the seats in F aren't that great combined with the lack of food is a pretty significant downgrade for those people who routinely fly and pay for F. But, perhaps UA doesn't have that many people in paid F on those routes.
I still can't get over the fact that UA provides a snack box filled with sodium ladened processed crap while on the same route and same plane DL would serve an actual meal with items that at least appear to have a shelf life of less than a year.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DXjr
You're right that very little thought was put into the future of cabin service, but the cabin and galley were standardized items to meet the requirements of a given service; in this case, UA. However, it should be noted that there's VERY little difference in galley spec between the U.S. carriers on these planes.
Doesn't Skywest have a 5th cart for DL-operated CRJ-700s?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:18 pm

Doesn't Skywest have a 5th cart for DL-operated CRJ-700s?
Instead of the thin bulkhead divider up front? I would believe so if it's part of the DL standard configuration, but I really couldn't tell you for sure. Checking on how a galley is configured isn't something I think about when boarding an airplane.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Emma1420
I still can't get over the fact that UA provides a snack box filled with sodium ladened processed crap while on the same route and same plane DL would serve an actual meal with items that at least appear to have a shelf life of less than a year.
Ouch.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:25 pm

Instead of the thin bulkhead divider up front? I would believe so if it's part of the DL standard configuration, but I really couldn't tell you for sure. Checking on how a galley is configured isn't something I think about when boarding an airplane.
What route(s) is this aircraft flying on now for UA?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
What route(s) is this aircraft flying on now for UA?
What aircraft? A DL configured CRJ-700? I would assume none.

Or are you talking about the E-175?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
I know that Skywest flights are more likely to be canceled (i just fell victim to an ATC-related cancellation on Thursday), but isn't it highly route and plane dependent? I mean, these are new planes for one, so fewer of them should go MX, and operations will still decide whether this particular flight should drop when SFO or MSP has limits on traffic.

I'm not weighing in on whether this is a good decision, but MSP-SFO on a 175 is not the same as ORD-ATW on an ERJ-145.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:29 pm

What aircraft? A DL configured CRJ-700? I would assume none.

Or are you talking about the E-175?
UA E-175.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.