Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
UA has been in the SFO-MSP market since at least 2010... perhaps you have it confused with the more recent add of LAX-MSP (CR7)?
You are right, it was SFO-ATL. For now, that one is too long of a flight for UAL to downgage to UX, so its safe (for now.) But the point remains, United will not really fight for traffic, its just trying to suck what it can out of the ever decreasing FF base, while being the low service leader. Not a strategy for long term success.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO

So, in 1,000 flights I will not cancel 950 to 980 times. (100 flights, will not cancel 95 to 98 times)

Granted, it's worse than DL (per your figures), but are these odds a reason to not fly UA?

Also - I imagine with the upgauging (from the smaller RJ's to these Cadillac RJ's), cancellation rates will decrease?
You can't be serious, sometimes I wonder if you actually fly for work or at all. For someone who travels, and travels for work, a 5% not arrive rate (or a 20% arrive late rate) is simply not workable. Yes, I will not book a UX flight if I need to be in SFO or MSP. Delta will get that fare every-time, no matter the price difference.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
It is amazing compelling when looking at Delta's first class product and United's--what a difference---

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...html#entertain
Old May 19, 2014, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jpsj
It is amazing compelling when looking at Delta's first class product and United's--what a difference---

All of that is marketing material ... You actually make purchase decisions based on web based brochures ?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by 787fan
All of that is marketing material ... You actually make purchase decisions based on web based brochures ?
Seriously?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by 787fan
I did not post that, but I make my decisions on actually flying and the current UA is a joke compared to DL and AA.

Anyone that would fly LAX or SFO to MSP on UA on an RJ is a true UA loyalist.

UA - get rid of the "Texas Think Bean Counters" and find someone to run a decent airline.
All of that is marketing material
Correct, pointing out what DL provides on many of their flts. On domestic flts both the hard and soft product on DL and AA are much better than the current UA.

Even Sun Country provides better options than UA SFO/LAS - MSP.

UA - just fly RJ's domestic. Many UA loyalists will stick with it. It's in their blood. UA can do no wrong.

(And yes I know DL's FF program sucks for some - for me next year will be great).
Old May 19, 2014, 7:10 pm

DL's new catering on this route

Originally Posted by beefman003
Thought I'd share a couple of photos from my lunch on DL 2023 (MSP-SFO) the other day. It was my first taste of the Luvo meals...a pretty huge letdown. I'm glad they're trying to do something different, but the food was pretty bland and tasteless (how do you make mole enchiladas this boring??). I did enjoy the Greek yogurt popsicle which was served about an hour before landing rather than at the end of the meal.

Originally Posted by beefman003
That's what they call them, yes. Whatever it was, it was no bueno.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
You can't be serious, sometimes I wonder if you actually fly for work or at all. For someone who travels, and travels for work, a 5% not arrive rate (or a 20% arrive late rate) is simply not workable. Yes, I will not book a UX flight if I need to be in SFO or MSP. Delta will get that fare every-time, no matter the price difference.
Coming from the guy who claim(ed) to be GS, yet only ever purchases economy fares?
Old May 19, 2014, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jpsj

I actually find DL's website very lacking in detail. They put in a few enticing photos, usually of a brand new aircraft, but provide no real details and certainly no guarantee that's the aircraft you will get.

I find UA's website, while much less glitzy, considerably more useful and informative.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Make it a 100% first jet, with a kitchen.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
I actually find DL's website very lacking in detail. They put in a few enticing photos, usually of a brand new aircraft, but provide no real details and certainly no guarantee that's the aircraft you will get.

I find UA's website, while much less glitzy, considerably more useful and informative.
Forget the website. Have you been on a DL aircraft, lately? What is more "useful and informative"? Perhaps flying SFO-MSP on a UA RJ.

The reason UA's website is less glitzy - is simple. Unless wearing rose colored glasses - your up ..... creek. Try other carriers and see the difference.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The amenity icons are very useful on DL for figuring out what you'll have. Expanding out the Details will tell you aircraft type and such.

What else are you looking for in the booking process? It's certainly more than we get with UA. UA doesn't tell us it's a WiFi plane or has power when we're booking.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by channa
The amenity icons are very useful on DL for figuring out what you'll have. Expanding out the Details will tell you aircraft type and such.

What else are you looking for in the booking process? It's certainly more than we get with UA. UA doesn't tell us it's a WiFi plane or has power when we're booking.
channa: I was just changing my seat on a UA reservation and (for the first time) noticed a gold circle around two seats (bulkhead windows) with the notation "Best Available Economy Plus Seats".

What an enhancement! (Or did I just notice this?)
Old May 19, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

I agree the booking page provides more info than UA.

But there is less general information about DL's aircraft and classes of service on their website. Just as an example, they're quite vague about hard product on the transcons (which I guess is understandable given the variations, but it's quite different from the detail UA provides on ps service).
Old May 19, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Not sure where people are getting the 5% CX rate. SFO-AUS is another fairly long distance route with RJs and the CX rate for SkyWest (who operates United's SFO-AUS flights) at AUS in 2014 was 0.86%, not entirely far off from from the 0.67% average CX rate across all airlines. That's 30% more CX, but statistically you'd have to fly into AUS 150 times via SkyWest to even tell the difference, ignoring any route variance.

United's mainline CX rate at MSP is 1.61%, and SkyWest's (who is going to operate these flights) is 2.4%. That's a pretty big difference, but still far from 5%, and the existing 1.61% CX rate is nothing to be proud of. That said, "true" regional MSP flights are much more likely to land or take-off from ill-equipped regional airports that have a tougher time dealing with the northern winters, where-as "true" regional flights in/out of an airport like IAH, which has a 1.56% SkyWest CX rate, is not going to see much of that same effect. For just the fair-weather months (May-Sep), the SkyWest CX rate is 1.16% at MSP and 1.39% at IAH.

It would be interesting to extract specific data on CX rate for medium-haul RJ route pairs, preferably one with a north-south pairing to get a better idea of what an SFO-MSP route might actually look like CX-wise. The BTS has all the raw data, but it's a pain in the butt to extract, so that exercise is for a more motivated soul.

Source: http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ot_dela...ause1.asp?pn=1
Old May 19, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA G
UA doesn't tell us it's a WiFi plane or has power when we're booking.
Hipmunk does when offering A319 and A320 options on UA.

I've never understood the people who shopped directly on airline websites. It seems like just asking to get ripped off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.