Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-MSP going RJ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
UA E-175.

Thanks!
This article states DCA, and doing a quick search results in:

5249 ORD-DCA 1105 1354
5249 DCA-ORD 1442 1548

Originally Posted by villox
I mean, these are new planes for one, so fewer of them should go MX
They aren't called the E-180 for nothing.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:41 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
This "strategy" has been going on for a while

It seems as though in the past few years, at least from IAH, UA has decided to not compete on routes between a UA hub (IAH) and the hub of another airline.

Examples: IAH-DFW used to be mainline, now only RJ so I fly AA on that route which still has mainline md-88 jets.

IAH-ATL only RJs, all the 737 gone. DL has a large number of mainline flights a day and the F fare could be as low as $550 RT, this one isn't even a close call.

IAH-MSP used to have a few mainline flights per day, now all RJs, DL still flies mainline jets.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CALMSP
please tell me how i can book a ticket on Skywest............I'm on their website and can't seem to find any fares.
As you have said before, problem with Express, UA employees are quick to point out that it is not United.

My past is proof, when things go wrong, either cancelled, bag lost, UA blames the Express. I had UA give me Skywest phone number in the past, when they lost my bag... Really? UA just washes there hands and walks away when it's an Express "problem".
Old May 17, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by villox
I know that Skywest flights are more likely to be canceled (i just fell victim to an ATC-related cancellation on Thursday), but isn't it highly route and plane dependent? I mean, these are new planes for one, so fewer of them should go MX, and operations will still decide whether this particular flight should drop when SFO or MSP has limits on traffic.

I'm not weighing in on whether this is a good decision, but MSP-SFO on a 175 is not the same as ORD-ATW on an ERJ-145.
In my experience the Barbie jets are likely to get cancelled because of weather at the drop of a hat. The last time I tried to fly a barbie jet home was DEN-EGE. It started snowing and the flight was cancelled. When I drove the rental car to EGE to pick up my own car parked at EGE, the AA 757s and DL 757s had just arrived.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Why does UA not make every domestic flt express? Less costs, no blame. UA did not screw this up - Express did. Lower costs.

UA had these Skywest planes designed to UA "standards" - correct? How or why did DL set their "standards" to a higher level, also on Skywest planes? No meal on a 4 hour flt in FC? That is a complete joke. I'll say it, is this Texas Think? Even Lorenzo provided meals on a 4 hour flt. Hell, I had meal service on 1-1/2 hour flts in the past. UA has turned into a complete joke.

Again, just let Express take over all domestic flts and everyone will be happy, except the customer. At least when I book on Frontier, Spirit or Allegiant I know what I am getting. Come on UA!
Old May 17, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by kettle1
Why does UA not make every domestic flt express? Less costs, no blame. UA did not screw this up - Express did. Lower costs.
Back to flying United briefly after a 3 month break. Nothing has improved. Glad there were no delays or cancellations.

I think the game plan is as follows:

Year 2014: Start moving hub-hub travel to RJs too.
Year 2018: No more domestic mainline. All RJs flown by express carriers.
Year 2020: No more international mainline. Move this to * Alliance partners or even better SkyWest to operate the 737 fleet. Anything that does not fit a 737 will take a stopover.
Vision 2020: United successfully transforms from an airline with physical assets to a marketing entity. No more pesky employees and their Unions; hard assets are for losers
Year 2022: Chase takes over United as it helps to cultivate HVC by throwing them a bone.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Well, atleast as of now, it appears no meal is to be served in F on the 1589 flight. When the switchover happened from A319-> E175 meal went from "Lunch" to "None" and "Dinner" to "None."

Starvation-friendly.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by demkr

Starvation-friendly.
Not me.

SFO: Andale Friendly.

MSP: Axel's Bonfire Friendly.

Or more likely, whatever DL serves me
Old May 17, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I suppose at some point all USA domestic and Canada/Mexico will be RJs and we will have only international flights as mainline.
I think there is a lot of truth in that statement.

My monthly SFO-MSP is now going to DL. I will not tolerate a barbie jet on this route regardless of increased frequency, increased number of F seats, etc. I have had enough UA barbie jet delays and cancellations over the past few months.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
In my experience the Barbie jets are likely to get cancelled because of weather at the drop of a hat. The last time I tried to fly a barbie jet home was DEN-EGE. It started snowing and the flight was cancelled. When I drove the rental car to EGE to pick up my own car parked at EGE, the AA 757s and DL 757s had just arrived.
There's no difference in the minimums (which are VERY high, by the way) to get into EGE between mainline or regional. Where there IS a difference, is timing. The ATL and DFW flights will already have been airborne before the planning even started on the DEN-EGE flight. Thus, since it's a short flight, the DEN-EGE flight will have one of two things stacked against it; namely, a weather forecast that doesn't allow the flight to depart, or the current weather at the airport is below minimums, which doesn't allow the flight to depart.

In your case, it's highly probable that a new forecast came out that would have prevented departure for several hours, so to keep the schedule, the only logical choice was to cancel this EGE flight.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
This is really sad. Since the merger, SFO-MSP has alternated between 319s and 737-700s. In-flight service from both sides of the house and in both cabins has been generally great (I can recall one curt FA ever on this route). I like SkyWest folks, too. But on a human level, it's a gut-punch to see this flying taken away from mainline.

Schedule-wise, yeah, it's nice of UA to join the party with more than one frequency. An intermediate third flight would be helpful, too. More than anything, the aforementioned reliability issues with UX make this service unproven. I wouldn't want to book it until some operational precedent is established.

Service-wise, especially on the longer westbound flight in the evening, the loss of dinner in F will be a real loss. After a full day in MSP, on a four-hour flight the snack box doesn't cut it. Pickings in Y will be especially slim. What else will be enhanced? No more IFE of any kind. No wi-fi (vs. the 319). Power ports in F only (vs. the 737). Yes, upgrades might become easier (though not a given), and the lack of middle seats is nice. Leave it to UA to take an aircraft as nice as the E-series and make it as much of a forgettable commodity as possible.

On the whole, this just smacks of the smallball-friendly approach we've come to expect from current management. Maybe LAX-MSP will at least be upgauged from the CR7s one day.

As I mentioned recently, Sun Country is looking better and better every day. (Full disclosure, a DL-alum family member just started working there and couldn't be happier.)
Old May 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

This could get messy. Regionals flying winter months SFO-MSP? Have your Plan B ready when your flight cancels or re-directed due to weather.
Old May 19, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spin88
I do recall that when the new SFO-MSP flight was announced, the defenders all claimed it was an example of how UAL DOES COMPETE, and how it being mainline showed that everyone was wrong... Hmmmm....
UA has been in the SFO-MSP market since at least 2010... perhaps you have it confused with the more recent add of LAX-MSP (CR7)?
Old May 19, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Non-scientific study comparing Delta and United’s competitive hub capacity. Certainly been my experience on SFO-MSP and SFO-ATL.

http://blog.wandr.me/2014/05/compare...y-connections/
Old May 19, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by demkr
I honestly wouldn't kvetch about the RJs if F was a proper F cabin service.
Which DL and AA figured out years ago.

Originally Posted by fly18725
When ExPlus was introduced, F in a regional jet was market leading and there probably wasn't thought about what type of service might be required decades into the future.
That's why you have to innovate, and innovate again. The cycle never stops.

They probably won customers over big time with E+ and RJ with F when everyone else had single cabin and no E+. Now others have surpassed them, and they're no longer competitive.

Same goes with the Business class product -- the airlines that went "flat" first ended up with slanters. UA rode the next wave and got the full horizontals. DL/US/AA rode the next wave with the full horizontal, everyone gets an aisle flats. UA is now uncompetitive as a result.

Originally Posted by fly18725
Yes, you don't need an oven for cold meals. But if you want to have true F class service, you need to have sufficient cart space to store glass wear, meal trays, etc. My understanding is that the CRJ-700 galleys don't have that right now.
I fly a lot of DL RJ, and there is a lot of cart space, to the right once you go in the door (where Seat 1A is on UA).

And its amazing the SkyWest (same carrier that flies for UAL) manages to have wi-fi, and real meals for DAL's flights...
Not just real meals, but this route, SFO-MSP, is one of DL's selected routes for upgraded meals catered by Luvo.

I do recall that when the new SFO-MSP flight was announced, the defenders all claimed it was an example of how UAL DOES COMPETE, and how it being mainline showed that everyone was wrong... Hmmmm....
Can't fault them for trying.

If you call dark planes, crappy meals, and spotty WiFi actually "trying."

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or more likely, whatever DL serves me
Luvo entrees: http://luvoinc.com/partnerships/delta-air-lines/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.