Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1765 FLL SFO - Total Chaos - What Was UA Thinking??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1765 FLL SFO - Total Chaos - What Was UA Thinking??

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm not trying to say that the FAA does not share safety-related information with other agencies and private parties. Your claim that the FAA's opinion on non-safety related maintenance practices is passed within and outside the government with the intent to influence travel decisions may be true, but is indicative of an ethical failing on multiple levels.
What ethical failing is that? We want to go back to pre 9/11 and not have the government share relevant information? we saw where that got us.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have a low tolerance for widespread disorganization like this
With all due respect, anyone who considers the situation you mentioned as "widespread disorganization" hasn't seen just how badly IRROPS situations like these are typically handled by airlines here and elsewhere. United did a better than average job in handling the situation. Why?

1. United offered customers a choice on whether to continue on to SFO or overnight in IAH. Even and perhaps especially when faced with a major flight irregularity, customers appreciate the ability to make a choice between possible options. Some customers preferred to continue on to SFO regardless of potential difficulties on arrival, others got off in IAH and were in a hotel room under 90 minutes -- either way, they were empowered to select the option that best suited them under trying circumstances instead of having something imposed by the carrier.

2. United actually continued the flight to SFO. This too is a positive for United. With the diverted aircraft and crew now at its largest operating base, many airline Ops control centers would have summarily cancelled the flight and just sought to re-accommodate from that hub even if continuation was feasible.

3. United proactively issued reasonable compensation for the disruption. If United doled out $250 certs for a 2-3 hour delay, that is quite fair for the vast majority of affected pax. And many airlines would have done nothing in that regard and just tell pax to write in to Customer Care.

I'm fine with bashing UA when it's at all justified, but here the airline handled the situation rather well.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
it's clear the flight should have been canceled in FLL and everyone re-accommodated the next day or via IAH, but that didn't happen.
Why is that clear? You seem to be ignoring the plight of all of the passengers on board whose final destination was SFO. It seems that what those passengers ended up with (i.e. arriving at their ticketed destination the same day albeit a few hours late) is far superior than having to be overnighted somewhere.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Steve M
Why is that clear? You seem to be ignoring the plight of all of the passengers on board whose final destination was SFO. It seems that what those passengers ended up with (i.e. arriving at their ticketed destination the same day albeit a few hours late) is far superior than having to be overnighted somewhere.
I was basing my assertion on the comments I heard (I'd rather not identify who to avoid repercussions) that indicated both a widespread problem and chaos resulting from these fuel stops enroute.

The source lamented how badly these situations had been handled previously and thought it was best to start with a clean slate given the risk of chaos ensuing at the fuel stop - which turned out to be an accurate forecast.

1. United offered customers a choice on whether to continue on to SFO or overnight in IAH. Even and perhaps especially when faced with a major flight irregularity, customers appreciate the ability to make a choice between possible options. Some customers preferred to continue on to SFO regardless of potential difficulties on arrival, others got off in IAH and were in a hotel room under 90 minutes -- either way, they were empowered to select the option that best suited them under trying circumstances instead of having something imposed by the carrier.
It didn't really happen like this. Ops' intention was for a 30 min fuel stop - in to the gate, door open per FAA regs, fuel on, and out we go. They did not anticipate the desire of many passengers to find alternatives to their destination, and this is the root of the problem - not proactively rebooking passengers from IAH onwards and not proactively finding hotel space at SFO before we even left the ground at FLL. The only reason UA gave passengers a 'choice' at IAH was due to demands from customers to get off at IAH, and this clearly overwhelmed the crew and lone gate agent. My point is, rebookings should have occurred upon our departure from FLL and been ready to hand out upon our arrival at IAH....and that did not happen as it was apparent to everyone that UA expected us to take on fuel, leave and sort the mess out in SFO.

2. United actually continued the flight to SFO. This too is a positive for United. With the diverted aircraft and crew now at its largest operating base, many airline Ops control centers would have summarily cancelled the flight and just sought to re-accommodate from that hub even if continuation was feasible.
How is this a positive? There is no question absent a crew time out or other maintenance issue that the flight should have continued from IAH to SFO - anything else would be madness.

3. United proactively issued reasonable compensation for the disruption. If United doled out $250 certs for a 2-3 hour delay, that is quite fair for the vast majority of affected pax. And many airlines would have done nothing in that regard and just tell pax to write in to Customer Care.

I'm fine with bashing UA when it's at all justified, but here the airline handled the situation rather well.
I have no idea what compensation they offered. As a 1K, I was offered 10k miles, $250 off domestic of 10% off systemwide - the GS sitting beside me could have been offered 50k miles, $500 off domestic and 20% off systemwide, while Kathy and Bill Kettle sitting in 24 D and E were offered 500 miles or $25 off domestic.

Again, the situation was not handled well. The following should have occurred:

1. seek enough volunteers to void the fuel stop - I know I would have gladly volunteered for a $500 cert and gone the next day. Out of 160 people could they have attained 30 volunteers? Maybe, maybe not - they didn't even try

2. many of the connecting customers were going to destinations served from IAH. While en route from FLL to IAH, every passenger with a missed SFO-XXX connection should have been rebooked where space allowed and the GA meeting the flight at IAH should have been calling names or destinations and handing out new boarding passes immediately upon our arrival

3. as our wheels left FLL, Ops should have been coordinating with SFO to secure a block of rooms at appropriate hotels as a contingency, then release rooms as passengers were rebooked at IAH, and confirm rooms for passengers with a guaranteed overnight at SFO, rebook them proactively from SFO (yes, this part happened eventually, but without communication) and had a service recovery agent meet the flight at SFO, announce the plan and hand out room vouchers, meal vouchers, new boarding passes, overnight kits and compensation packs right in the jetway.

4. communication, communication, communication

Keep in mind nobody was freaking out at FLL - it wasn't until we arrived at IAH and people became aware of their misconnects at SFO and the lack of communication did the aisles get stormed by angry passengers. It happened pretty quickly because word spread among the passengers faster than it came from UA. I was out of my seat for a few moments to ask the poor GA about going from IAH to SEA, she agreed to check, I turned around and my path was blocked - I spent 20 mins standing in the jetway while angry customers berated the crew, pushed their way off, etc.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
the problem is CO, they have no idea how to handle anything abnormal. 1K used to get rooms paid for even if the delay was weather. CO put an end to this and every other useful 1K perk.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by flybit
the problem is CO, they have no idea how to handle anything abnormal. 1K used to get rooms paid for even if the delay was weather. CO put an end to this and every other useful 1K perk.
This perk still exists, it's just enforced inconsistently.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Ah yes, blame the pax -- the mantra of the CO forum.

And who said it was just $14? Suggest you revisit your 2nd grade grammar book. You'll realize that WE refers to two OR MORE. Could be 200. You really don't know.
Well standing with the masses seemed to make you so upset (oh the horror that your special status wasn't immediately recognized!) I hope that your $7x (where x is the number of passengers in your group*) was worth the debasing experience you had to go through

*I believe variables are covered in 4th grade
Old May 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Make sense now Kacee?
The first SEA flight out of SFO gets to SEA earlier than the first IAH flight. The OP made the right move traveling on to SFO if he wanted to get to SEA before noon.

Last edited by Zone1; May 18, 2014 at 9:34 am
Old May 18, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Motel 6 of the skies

I get the sense that most of the regular posters in this forum are pretty good at what we do. That's why we have so much spare time to post on FT.

It's especially frustrating to see things bungled when you have high performance standards and hold yourself to them.

But you're asking for a heart attack by expecting UA to meet such standards these days. Except for those top bananas in the UC (see the slightly humorous thread I started yesterday on this) there isn't anything that couldn't stand improvement in today's 'Motel 6 of the skies'.

I'd recommend downloading the Jacques Tati movie "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" on your smartphone/tablet/laptop and keep it handy for comic relief during such episodes as OP experienced. And we're all going to experience these if we fly frequently on United.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by spin88
Bing, Bing, Bing, and we have the answer... "Project Quality" A major part of "project quality" (1/2 of the non fuel "savings") is lower staffing levels... to the tune of $500M/year. That is cuts in base staffing and OT. And with SHARES, everything is slow, so (1) no way as others have said to process 40 denied boardings and rebook them, and (2) no way to have an assigned team to deal with the "fuel stop" in IAH. Given that extra utilization of A/C, and tighter turns is another "project quality" goal, there was also no chance of a cancellation, as the plane was needed in SFO for a flight tomorrow (or that night) and would go if humanly possible. Late is fine, as long at the A/C gets there.

Welcome to the "new United" and a good example of why I (1) will not connect on UAL, and (2) don't take them when time is of the essence.
This is the nub of the whole issue facing United. I dont know how many gate/counter agents staff Fort Lauderdale, but let's say 25 and United cuts a third from the payroll. The system works passably well under normal circumstances, but when confronted with a significant IRROP, falls apart. Perhaps the 25 could have processed the 40 VDBs, but the new lower headcount staff realizes it is an impossible task and doesn't even consider it. You combine this fundamental work problem with a poor information technology choice, a demoralized workforce and edicts from headquarters restricting their freedom to find IRROP solutions.
With these initiatives of the highest importance to corporate management, I dont see how the responses will improve, barring a remarkable advance in rebooking efficiency (which presumably would run up against the restrictions on solutions).
Old May 18, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by 1KPath
Once again you make an incorrect assumption...these are not "casual, unofficial comments"...they are included in "official" (and professional) travel status and safety reports sent weekly (sometimes more often)to various governmental and fully federally employed NGOs involved in work requiring specialized security and travel security information...but believe what you will
As one who flies the 737NG for UAL, myself and my colleagues in the cockpit are not aware of any new 'speedbrake' issue. This is interesting given the many official operational/safety publications published by both the FAA and UAL. Also don't forget the unofficial rumor mill which often covers many things true and false.

In 8 years on the plane, I can recall two delays caused by a speedbrake malfunction. At no point in time was safety EVER compromised. Good to know that certain government officials and NGO's feel they are more informed then the pilots who fly the airplane. My manual lists two limitations with the 737 NG speedbrakes of which one is due to an FAA airworthiness directive that has been out for over 10 years and has caused little trouble since it was published.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by luckypierre
This is the nub of the whole issue facing United. I dont know how many gate/counter agents staff Fort Lauderdale, but let's say 25 and United cuts a third from the payroll. The system works passably well under normal circumstances, but when confronted with a significant IRROP, falls apart.
This has nothing to do with Project Quality. CO has been falling apart in IRROPS for several years.

Only thing that's worse now is that CO is much bigger, and rebooks/IRROPS/etc. are more common, and rebookings and such can be more complicated -- both with a larger network and Star Alliance rebooking requirements that require them to use other carriers.

The last time I can recall CO handling IRROPS well was in the paper ticket days, when they had a system that could process rebooks/reissues quickly -- a green Sharpie pen and a stapler. A couple of scribbles and a couple of clicks with the stapler, and you were on your way in seconds -- much easier than the cryptic SHARES reissues we have these days.

As for FLL, when I was there last year, trying to standby onto FLL-SFO (I was on FLL-IAD-SFO that was delayed and a likely misconnect), I was actually told I couldn't because it would be a change of route. I pushed back and said so what, you put it as standby, and if I clear, you sync up the ticket. The guy actually admitted that they were short staffed and didn't want to put the work of syncing up the ticket on the gate agent, so that's why it wouldn't be allowed. I had to push back harder and tell him that the old United system would have done this no problem, and it's not my problem that they chose the inferior system, put the standby request in there, if it clears, it clears, and if it delays the flight, that's a cost of doing business with lousy computer systems.

He eventually caved, but I didn't get the sense from this interaction that this station was really with it if they would rather overnight misconnect a 1K rather than let them standby.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Again, the situation was not handled well. The following should have occurred:

1. seek enough volunteers to void the fuel stop - I know I would have gladly volunteered for a $500 cert and gone the next day. Out of 160 people could they have attained 30 volunteers? Maybe, maybe not - they didn't even try
Would you have taken $150 or $200 where things usually start and sometimes end at?

I wouldnt be a bit surprised if someone ran the #s and found out that # of folks that would misconnect and have to be Comped something would cost them less then getting the 40 VDBs.

Sort of like the car companys, sure they know they have a faulty part that results in accidents and even that there will be deaths, but the #s show it will cost them less $$$ to pay out those claims then to do a complete recall, so they chose "Well punk do you feel its your lucky day when you start up and drive this car'.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Ah yes, blame the pax -- the mantra of the CO forum.

And who said it was just $14? Suggest you revisit your 2nd grade grammar book. You'll realize that WE refers to two OR MORE. Could be 200. You really don't know.
Are you seriously suggesting that the OP may have had 28 (or more) people traveling with him on this flight? I think that would have been relevant to mention if it was in fact true.

The point being that short of having ALOT of vouchers to pick up, standing in line for $7 vouchers is not worth the time and effort of a significant percentage of the people in this country.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
A perfect representation of my post merger experiences with Jeff's airline. Happy 2 years in relative peace away from Jeff's UA. Still 0 segments and couldn't be more pleased.

People who can should leave- many of us already have. I feel sorry for those who can't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.