Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current United hold times - use of callback

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

I did a search but didn't see recent threads on this topic. I'm currently on hold for a live agent. It's already 30 minutes (the initial estimate was 15-20 minutes). I called the Premier Gold line. I haven't traveled much since the pandemic. Is this the new norm? Premier customers still need to wait hours to get through?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by naumank
... It's already 30 minutes (the initial estimate was 15-20 minutes). I called the Premier Gold line.
..... Is this the new norm? Premier customers still need to wait hours to get through?
Perhaps just a bit premature to be speaking of HOURS.

Generally the phone line waits have not been bad, especially compared to other carriers (in my experience as a PLAT). No major weather issues at the moment but there was a substantial schedule update last night.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps just a bit premature to be speaking of HOURS.

Generally the phone line waits have not been bad, especially compared to other carriers (in my experience as a PLAT). No major weather issues at the moment but there was a substantial schedule update last night.
I finally got through after 40 minutes of wait. I have been Gold/1K/GS/1K/1M Gold over the past 15 years. Don't recall this kind of long wait. In the past, sometimes a live agent would pick up the phone directly as opposed to having me go through the automated menu.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
GS and 1Ks go to the top of the list (only GS have dedicated phones, everybody else has the same "line") and should have shorter times than Gold (or Plats)
Old Feb 19, 2022, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I did a search but didn't see recent threads on this topic. I'm currently on hold for a live agent. It's already 30 minutes (the initial estimate was 15-20 minutes). I called the Premier Gold line. I haven't traveled much since the pandemic. Is this the new norm? Premier customers still need to wait hours to get through?
are you talking ‘hours’ or 30 minutes? Those are very different things.

Even post-COVID, and as a silver, hold times have generally been small - maybe 5-10 minutes most times if their aren’t IRROPS, and when they are longer, and it is something that can be handled by the text function or Twitter DM, I use that. Or wait until later if it’s not urgent.

also agree that UA is much better than other carriers. When I lived in CVG, and had to get a hold of DL in IRROPS, you didn’t even have the option of an ‘hours’ long hold sometimes, you simply got a message that basically said the line was overloaded, and to call again. I also suspect you haven’t flown AC in a decade+, where when you get an hour long hold time, that is considered quick even without IRROPS (even calling at midnight eastern could be an hour hold without IRROPS some nights).

if I need to wait longer than a few minutes, I’ll typically just put the phone on speaker, do whatever else Im doing and be ready to talk when an agent comes on the line. The benefits of modern technology make this easy.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I had about a 20 min hold time this week, which wasn't terrible.

What ticked me off was 1) I pressed 1 but did not get the call back option 2) It routed me to a phillipines agent who was not knowledgable 3) the supervisor I spoke to acted like he was doing me a favor for giving me the price listed on the website!

I'd rather wait longer and get a competent agent. For better or worse, FTers know the rules better than the agents so when someone's bad it's pretty obvious.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Was there a call back option?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
are you talking ‘hours’ or 30 minutes? Those are very different things.

Even post-COVID, and as a silver, hold times have generally been small - maybe 5-10 minutes most times if their aren’t IRROPS, and when they are longer, and it is something that can be handled by the text function or Twitter DM, I use that. Or wait until later if it’s not urgent.

also agree that UA is much better than other carriers. When I lived in CVG, and had to get a hold of DL in IRROPS, you didn’t even have the option of an ‘hours’ long hold sometimes, you simply got a message that basically said the line was overloaded, and to call again. I also suspect you haven’t flown AC in a decade+, where when you get an hour long hold time, that is considered quick even without IRROPS (even calling at midnight eastern could be an hour hold without IRROPS some nights).

if I need to wait longer than a few minutes, I’ll typically just put the phone on speaker, do whatever else Im doing and be ready to talk when an agent comes on the line. The benefits of modern technology make this easy.
40 minutes to be precise. Hours was hyperbole, but still 40 minutes seem long for the Premier Gold line. The most I was put on hold was a couple of minutes pre-COVID. This is why I thought it was out of the ordinary.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
40 minutes to be precise. Hours was hyperbole, but still 40 minutes seem long for the Premier Gold line. The most I was put on hold was a couple of minutes pre-COVID. This is why I thought it was out of the ordinary.
Totally agree, more than 10 minutes on hold seems like an hour to me. That’s why I always use the call back option whenever it’s offered
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Not only are hold times out of whack, but their estimates are too. I need to have an agent reissue a ticket after a reservation change. Called this morning, was told 5-10 minute wait, and hung up after 50 minutes on hold. I've now switched to their text option since this is relatively simple, and that interface is giving me a 30-60 minute wait. Any ideas as to what can be causing such long hold times? Last time I faced a wait like this, was when COVID lockdowns came around in March 2020.

EDIT: Connected to a chat agent after 45 minutes using Apple's Message for Business. They addressed the ticket issue and a residual travel credit issue right away. I am very impressed by the experience and will probably use the chat option more often in the future. My original point still holds...these are some crazy wait times for a Platinum -- either voice or chat.

Last edited by rflor; Mar 2, 2022 at 12:00 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
My experience today - as a Plat - called the elite number - waited 45 minutes on hold - (Phillipines?) agent greeted me by name, then the line disconnected.

Tried the business texting option on the iPhone - after 1h15m, still no response to my initial inquiry.

Tried the callback option, after 13 minutes was connected to a US based Premier agent who took care of my somewhat complicated situation in a kind and professional manner.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:22 pm

Call volumes are probably fairly high at the moment due UA and partner flights cancellations as various air space is being closed (sanctions fallout due Russia attack on Ukraine)

Such as How will United's flight to Asia be affected if Russian airspace is restricted?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
My experience today - as a Plat - called the elite number - waited 45 minutes on hold - (Phillipines?) agent greeted me by name, then the line disconnected.

Tried the business texting option on the iPhone - after 1h15m, still no response to my initial inquiry.

Tried the callback option, after 13 minutes was connected to a US based Premier agent who took care of my somewhat complicated situation in a kind and professional manner.
I like to call back option, however it’s not offered all the time.. I wonder why?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by paule123
Call this morning also as a platinum member. Wait time was 15 minutes and opted call back option. Spoke to a US based Premier agent working in a call center. She was probably one of the most helpful agent I ever worked with. She was not in a hurry, offered to check upgrade list without asking. She combined two ETCs she just issued into one without asking.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BR Gold
Hi All - as a 1K member for multiple years, I've learned to love the speed and effectiveness of most agents when calling the 1K line. Rarely have I ever been on hold for more than a few minutes, and when I have, it is due to strain or events on the network.

I've been on hold for 45+ minutes to the 1K line tonight (so far). Did something change? I was not asked to enter my MP number and the automated system detected my next trip...

Also HUCA, and getting an estimate for 30-40 minute wait times...

____ updated _____

After 45 minutes, I've hung up and emailed 1K Voice. I sure hope this isn't a service cut... I know the email will take 5-7 days.

The reason for my call is an error in deduction of miles from my account for an upgrade that did not clear.

Last edited by SkiBikeBeer; Mar 2, 2022 at 9:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.