Considered Double Booking?

Old May 15, 14, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Considered Double Booking?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I have the following problem --
I was booked SEA-PSP (5/23), SNA-SFO-SEA(5/27) -- Personal Reservation

My plans have changed and now got a reservation on hold which has me going SNA-ORD-IND(5/27), IND-IAH-SEA(5/31) -- Company Reservation)

Can I just cancel the SNA-SFO-SEA portion once I get into Palm Springs? I'm worried one of the reservations will cancel out or the other won't ticket if this is viewed as a double-booking. The SNA-SFO and SNA-ORD leave around the same time (within an hour).

Thanks,
OilersFL
Old May 15, 14, 7:11 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Is there any reason why you cannot cancel the SNA-SFO-SEA flights now?
Old May 15, 14, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Worried about Change Fee

Would this be considered a change? Also, if my dates to travel to IND change, I'd change that reservation up to fly out of SEA (home).

-OilersFL
Old May 15, 14, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OilersFL View Post
I'm sure this has been covered before but I have the following problem --
I was booked SEA-PSP (5/23), SNA-SFO-SEA(5/27) -- Personal Reservation

My plans have changed and now got a reservation on hold which has me going SNA-ORD-IND(5/27), IND-IAH-SEA(5/31) -- Company Reservation)

Can I just cancel the SNA-SFO-SEA portion once I get into Palm Springs? I'm worried one of the reservations will cancel out or the other won't ticket if this is viewed as a double-booking. The SNA-SFO and SNA-ORD leave around the same time (within an hour).

Thanks,
OilersFL
I would be concerned they will cancel one of your itineraries (probably the wrong one).

Can you just add the business segments on to the existing personal reservation? That would be cleaner than canceling the return once you've flown the outbound. Depending on your fare rules, there could be issues there.

Would this be considered a change? Also, if my dates to travel to IND change, I'd change that reservation up to fly out of SEA (home).
Yes you will definitely have to pay a change fee to drop the segments prior to departure. And possibly fare differential depending on your fare rules.
Old May 15, 14, 11:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if OP had an approved vacation covering this period (IIRC May 27 is a Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day), then the company should pay whatever fees are associated with changing personal travel plans in order to accommodate a business trip.

OTOH, I can understand the OP's implicit wish to keep the two tickets separate in order to make clear what part of the travel should be paid by the company. Depending on the circumstances, OP might not want to show the personal travel receipts to the employer.
Old May 16, 14, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do this all the time and have not had a problem. Basically, they are backup plans when I latch personal and work trips together. I always have a backup to get me to my personal trip destination from home (or from my personal trip destination back home) in case my work trip gets cancelled.

I try to cancel as early as I can. For example, once I depart for my work trip on Monday and know the work ticket will get me to my weekend destination, I cancel my trip from my home to the weekend destination.

My thinking is that we fly UA so much and our work plans change, I am not abusing the system so UA should be OK with it. For work, if the fare is similar, I view this as win-win. Instead of leaving for a business trip Friday morning so I get home then fly out, I stay longer on my business trip in exchange for them flying to my weekend destination.
Old May 16, 14, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username View Post
I am not abusing the system so UA should be OK with it. For work, if the fare is similar, I view this as win-win. Instead of leaving for a business trip Friday morning so I get home then fly out, I stay longer on my business trip in exchange for them flying to my weekend destination.
Agreed it's not an abuse b/c it's not a deliberate attempt to get around fare rules.

The only issue in this particular case is whether there's a fare rule restricting cancellation of the return segment. In the days when Saturday night stay requirements were the norm, for example, this would have been a concern.
Old May 16, 14, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has always been a theoretical -- but, not a real -- problem. It's prohibited by the COC because it's an "impossible" booking, not because it evades other fare rules. With better surveillance software this can get picked up and one or both auto-cancelled.

The better point is that most decent employers would simply tell you to make the necessary changes and submit the fare difference for reimbursement. Has OP at least tried that here? It's hardly uncommon in the business world.
Old May 16, 14, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I would just make the change now, and net out the difference on my expense.

If the company does not pay something like this, OP needs a new job.
Old May 16, 14, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
UA is not aggressive about double booking. I do it a lot (e.g., I book one flight I intend to take, then a better option becomes available, and I don't cancel the original reservation until much later). Never had a problem. Some other airlines will detect double booking and block you from making the second reservation or cause problems in other ways. IMHO it's a good policy for UA as it gets me to fly more in the long run at higher fares by accommodating me.
Old May 16, 14, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It's technically against the rules. The chances that it will be caught however are extremely slim in my experience. UA does attempt to detect duplicate bookings, but unless they're blatantly identical, the system isn't quite smart enough to flag them. I wouldn't worry about it. (And from an integrity standpoint, you're not really trying to circumvent fare rules.)
Old May 16, 14, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it's technically legal for you to even cancel the return leg if you know you aren't going to use it, rather than no-show. Throwaway ticketing is prohibited, but they can't make you fly a leg that you booked sincerely intending to take it and then your plans changed. You would have to do this a lot of times before they would give you any hassle over it.

On duplicate bookings in general, I've occasionally even had two seats in my own name with the same MP number on the same flight and they didn't notice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: