Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

B Fare won't clear upgrade at time of purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite

I called because I couldn't get this instant upgrade to clear.

They told me "right, there is no PN on this flight, its only Global First"

LAS to ORD? Global First?

Do you think someone loaded the inventory incorrectly?
Old May 14, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
did you check the buckets on expert mode? my guess is that PN=0 and F>0, you have to double check this at the time of purchase, though IME on .bomb it will not note "instant upgrade fare" notation associated with YBM if PN=0.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
did you check the buckets on expert mode? my guess is that PN=0 and F>0, you have to double check this at the time of purchase, though IME on .bomb it will not note "instant upgrade fare" notation associated with YBM if PN=0.
Yup, keep watching, if PN ever goes >0, call in or see if you can manually upgrade online.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
These "instant" upgrades are a misnomer! Increasingly, these are never available at time of booking, just another sign that what is advertised is not reality as UA hangs on to these seat for buy ups or just plain hoarding.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boss315
These "instant" upgrades are a misnomer! Increasingly, these are never available at time of booking, just another sign that what is advertised is not reality as UA hangs on to these seat for buy ups or just plain hoarding.
K but United's website doesn't show them as instant upgrades unless PN is available.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have never had a problem with this. If you are logged in, when you select flights, you will see a gold "U" indicating that the -UP is available. You book, select your UG and a seat in F and you are done. If the "U" isn't visible, there is no inventory and you go into the waitlist for UG just after GS, but before the certs & CPU's.

It's neither misleading nor difficult.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
The flight had 0 seats taken in F. I called and they said "There is no PN for this flight, not that it is all taken but I can't see PN for the flight." Looked like inventory was setup wrong.

I got it fixed because, as I said, there was room in F for there to be PN>0 but it was listed wrong.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boss315
If the B or M fare is associated with an instant upgrade, it says so when you're booking. I'm not sure why this is an issue. I've bought several M-ups with no problems in last year or so and I have no problem telling which M fares get instant upgrades and which don't. It's the most obvious/direct/hassle-free upgrading methods provided by UA.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 14, 2014 at 2:27 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Akulashark
The flight had 0 seats taken in F. I called and they said "There is no PN for this flight, not that it is all taken but I can't see PN for the flight." Looked like inventory was setup wrong.

I got it fixed because, as I said, there was room in F for there to be PN>0 but it was listed wrong.
Nothing is "setup wrong". UA has to make PN available for the B or M instant upgrades. If they don't make PN available, there are no instant B or M-ups available, although you still can buy the B or M fare if you want to. Just because there is F available, it doesn't mean PN is available.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 2:19 pm

Hrm??

PN can be zero even if F is empty. There is no such thing as enough " room in F for there to be PN>0"...
Old May 14, 2014, 2:36 pm

Just curious, but what dates are you looking at?

I just did a whole bunch of random dates for June and every B fare was at least $650 more compared to just purchasing a ticket in first?
Old May 14, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dank0014

I just did a whole bunch of random dates for June and every B fare was at least $650 more compared to just purchasing a ticket in first?
I want to say LAS - ORD on Aug 9 or 10 at around 10am.

I don't book via ua.com, corp travel rules. My position with the company allows for Y or B Fares (no First, even if cheaper).

This year have had, not including this, 9/10 B fares clear as I booked them. I then have to log into UA.com and confirm instant up and select seats. Yes, I am the 1K that is trumping all these people for FC. 1k+B Fare. Hope it works out for London in June (GPU applied to B).
Old May 14, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dank0014

Are they refundable F fares? Plus some companies don't pay for 1st, even though a coach fare may be more expensive.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:47 pm

(no First, even if cheaper).
That is unfathomably stupid.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

I want to say LAS - ORD on Aug 9 or 10 at around 10am.

I don't book via ua.com, corp travel rules. My position with the company allows for Y or B Fares (no First, even if cheaper).

This year have had, not including this, 9/10 B fares clear as I booked them. I then have to log into UA.com and confirm instant up and select seats. Yes, I am the 1K that is trumping all these people for FC. 1k+B Fare. Hope it works out for London in June (GPU applied to B).
Completely get that, and a lot of times what I do is the same as you. Our company makes us book internally and can't sometimes book F if it doesn't meet the rules, but I book the Y,B,M and you can then call UA up and switch to an F. They have sometimes charged me the change fee because you can only cancel / change with UA within 24 hours if booked on their site, but truthfully, a $600 difference in the fare easily can cover the change fee difference and I say the credit for later and just eat change fee myself. That 10:47 UA432 is around $1775 for a rough guess on the return date. I've had some luck just asking the agent to change the fare class within 24 hours and not get charged a change fee.

I know some will bash about is this ethical or not, and I'm not here to debate that, but it is an option if you feel getting into first is important?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.