Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rolling the dice...........looking for input

Old May 13, 14, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM

I am GS flying RT from ORD-GRU on 5-20/5-23. I booked a P fare and while the fare was good for this close to departure, I am stuck in the "4 seat section" on a 772 (yes I know I am over-entitled). I have been given the option to pay $500+25,000 miles each way to upgrade to GF. Two questions; a) is the cost worth it for the difference in seating/service, and b) with the flight showing F4 A0 ON0, what are the chances for a "day of departure" upgrade offer that would be less than the current value of $500+25,000 miles? Thanks for your input.
Old May 13, 14, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
You may get something ~$600 and no miles for the copay. Service will be a choice of meals + soup, maybe more attentive FAs. Big difference will really be the seat.
Old May 13, 14, 10:18 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have several times booked the last C seat and was placed in one of the middle fours. Each and every time I was able to get an aisle or window upon arriving at the airport due to cancellations or misconnects.

Yesterday the buy-up to F was $829 from LHR to ORD (as it was for ORD to LHR four days ago). I don't think that you will find anything cheaper than that for your route.
Old May 13, 14, 10:22 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I have several times booked the last C seat and was placed in one of the middle fours. Each and every time I was able to get an aisle or window upon arriving at the airport due to cancellations or misconnects.

Yesterday the buy-up to F was $829 from LHR to ORD (as it was for ORD to LHR four days ago). I don't think that you will find anything cheaper than that for your route.

But $829 still beats $500+25K miles in my book.

What kind of booking class (A,F) do you get if you pay $829?
Old May 13, 14, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is absolutely no way to predict this. UA looks at gross traffic. You just look at you. If those four seats are purchased while you think about the offer, there will be no UG's at all and you will kick yourself. Conversely, if you purchase and four pax cancel, UA can always sell those seats for a good deal less later and you will kick yourself.

If the deal works for you, I would grab it this split second before someone else does.
Old May 13, 14, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
What kind of booking class (A,F) do you get if you pay $829?
Doesn't matter. The fare basis doesn't change. No bonus miles, no PQD's.
Old May 13, 14, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
Thanks for the input so far. I recognize that there is no magic answer to the question and the "value" is only worth as much as I put on it.

That said, is the amount UA will "ask" for tied to my specific ticket amount paid or to a desired amount of $'s they are trying to generate on that flight from whomever wants to upgrade?
Old May 13, 14, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
That said, is the amount UA will "ask" for tied to my specific ticket amount paid or to a desired amount of $'s they are trying to generate on that flight from whomever wants to upgrade?
In theory both. The "buy-up" amount, the diff b/t your fare and the lowest available first fare, is of course based on your purchased fare. Then there's the voodoo magic "paid upgrade" that could be priced anywhere between $600 and $10,000, depending on who knows what. Someone who knows more than me may be able to elaborate on the mechanics of either calculation a bit more.
Old May 13, 14, 1:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
The Law of No-Shows and Misconnects has helped me get a window or aisle when I was relegated to a middle-4. Just keep an eye on the seat map, especially as departure time nears. As for the upgrade offer calculus, there's no telling. I've had cheaper offers for upgrades from W-to-GPU than I have from paid C/Z/P before. For Europe I wouldn't bother but as flights get over ten hours...
Old May 13, 14, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley View Post
In theory both. The "buy-up" amount, the diff b/t your fare and the lowest available first fare, is of course based on your purchased fare. Then there's the voodoo magic "paid upgrade" that could be priced anywhere between $600 and $10,000, depending on who knows what. Someone who knows more than me may be able to elaborate on the mechanics of either calculation a bit more.
Actually the BF and GF buy-ups at check-in are generally not based on underlying fare.

If there are GF seats still available at check-in, good chance you will be offered a buy-up in the $800-1200 range. iluv2fly's $829 figure would be my best guess-timate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: