FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Rolling the dice...........looking for input (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1576687-rolling-dice-looking-input.html)

bluedemon211 May 13, 14 10:07 am

Rolling the dice...........looking for input
 
I am GS flying RT from ORD-GRU on 5-20/5-23. I booked a P fare and while the fare was good for this close to departure, I am stuck in the "4 seat section" on a 772 (yes I know I am over-entitled). I have been given the option to pay $500+25,000 miles each way to upgrade to GF. Two questions; a) is the cost worth it for the difference in seating/service, and b) with the flight showing F4 A0 ON0, what are the chances for a "day of departure" upgrade offer that would be less than the current value of $500+25,000 miles? Thanks for your input.

jpc83 May 13, 14 10:10 am

You may get something ~$600 and no miles for the copay. Service will be a choice of meals + soup, maybe more attentive FAs. Big difference will really be the seat.

iluv2fly May 13, 14 10:18 am

I have several times booked the last C seat and was placed in one of the middle fours. Each and every time I was able to get an aisle or window upon arriving at the airport due to cancellations or misconnects.

Yesterday the buy-up to F was $829 from LHR to ORD (as it was for ORD to LHR four days ago). I don't think that you will find anything cheaper than that for your route.

kb1992 May 13, 14 10:22 am


Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 22857248)
I have several times booked the last C seat and was placed in one of the middle fours. Each and every time I was able to get an aisle or window upon arriving at the airport due to cancellations or misconnects.

Yesterday the buy-up to F was $829 from LHR to ORD (as it was for ORD to LHR four days ago). I don't think that you will find anything cheaper than that for your route.


But $829 still beats $500+25K miles in my book.

What kind of booking class (A,F) do you get if you pay $829?

Often1 May 13, 14 10:37 am

There is absolutely no way to predict this. UA looks at gross traffic. You just look at you. If those four seats are purchased while you think about the offer, there will be no UG's at all and you will kick yourself. Conversely, if you purchase and four pax cancel, UA can always sell those seats for a good deal less later and you will kick yourself.

If the deal works for you, I would grab it this split second before someone else does.

Kacee May 13, 14 10:44 am


Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 22857276)
What kind of booking class (A,F) do you get if you pay $829?

Doesn't matter. The fare basis doesn't change. No bonus miles, no PQD's.

bluedemon211 May 13, 14 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input so far. I recognize that there is no magic answer to the question and the "value" is only worth as much as I put on it.

That said, is the amount UA will "ask" for tied to my specific ticket amount paid or to a desired amount of $'s they are trying to generate on that flight from whomever wants to upgrade?

Boo_Radley May 13, 14 12:48 pm


Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 22858064)
That said, is the amount UA will "ask" for tied to my specific ticket amount paid or to a desired amount of $'s they are trying to generate on that flight from whomever wants to upgrade?

In theory both. The "buy-up" amount, the diff b/t your fare and the lowest available first fare, is of course based on your purchased fare. Then there's the voodoo magic "paid upgrade" that could be priced anywhere between $600 and $10,000, depending on who knows what. Someone who knows more than me may be able to elaborate on the mechanics of either calculation a bit more.

glasnost7 May 13, 14 1:22 pm

The Law of No-Shows and Misconnects has helped me get a window or aisle when I was relegated to a middle-4. Just keep an eye on the seat map, especially as departure time nears. As for the upgrade offer calculus, there's no telling. I've had cheaper offers for upgrades from W-to-GPU than I have from paid C/Z/P before. For Europe I wouldn't bother but as flights get over ten hours...

Kacee May 13, 14 1:27 pm


Originally Posted by Boo_Radley (Post 22858144)
In theory both. The "buy-up" amount, the diff b/t your fare and the lowest available first fare, is of course based on your purchased fare. Then there's the voodoo magic "paid upgrade" that could be priced anywhere between $600 and $10,000, depending on who knows what. Someone who knows more than me may be able to elaborate on the mechanics of either calculation a bit more.

Actually the BF and GF buy-ups at check-in are generally not based on underlying fare.

If there are GF seats still available at check-in, good chance you will be offered a buy-up in the $800-1200 range. iluv2fly's $829 figure would be my best guess-timate.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:27 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.