FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Two new Houston routes: ISN & BDL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1576464-two-new-houston-routes-isn-bdl.html)

sbm12 May 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Two new Houston routes: ISN & BDL

IAH-ISN (Williston, ND) will be 1330 miles on an E45, blocking in at 3:38 northbound and 3:36 southbound. That's 5 miles longer than EWR-OKC and about the same time as the westbound version of that flight. I believe it is now the longest E45 flight UA operates and possibly the longest in the world. Service starts in mid-August based on what's published in the timetables.

http://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/uplo...05/image11.png

http://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/uplo...05/image12.png

IAH-BDL is served on an E75 for the 1507 mile trip. Service starts in mid-October based on timetables.

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=isn-iah-b...%230000ff&PW=2

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 12, 2014 4:25 pm

I hope UA has taken into account the average size of the (generally oilfield) passenger vs fuel needed, IAH-ISN. This might as well be a Halliburton charter flight.

Zomba May 12, 2014 4:40 pm

That's a long time in an e45. Wow.

mgcsinc May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Oh oil.

CO_Nonrev_elite May 12, 2014 4:45 pm

While I do find the longer RJ flights appalling, ISN (while long) really falls under the category of not huge demand. If you want service nonstop from H, then that's all you are likely to get.

entropy May 12, 2014 4:46 pm

glad they are operating that one with a low CASM aircraft.... oh wait.

that's gotta suck, I feel sorry for whatever poor guys/gals get stuck by their company on that one.

Ever since CO was running IAH-YYZ with 145's (and now Cr7s, not much better esp with the slimline torture devices), I've been avoiding that like the plague it is.

sbm12 May 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Also interesting is that the DEN-ISN service has decently timed connections out of IAH many days. The non-stop isn't all that much faster. But it is faster and there are likely people who want non-stop service.

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:

Flight Timetable -- IAH-ISN for date: 20140820 at 00:00 on United
Carrier|Flight|From |To  |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
UA/??  |6104  |IAH  |ISN  |09:40    |13:18    |------- |ERJ      |3:38    |          |
UA    |1268  |IAH  |DEN  |11:25    |12:51    |1------ |739      |4:51    |          |
^^UA/??|6179  |DEN  |ISN  |13:31    |16:16    |        |ERJ      |        |          |
UA    |1420  |IAH  |DEN  |07:25    |09:07    |-23456- |752      |5:39    |          |
^^UA/??|6066  |DEN  |ISN  |10:10    |13:04    |        |ERJ      |        |          |
UA    |1604  |IAH  |DEN  |19:00    |20:32    |---45-7 |738      |5:54    |8/17/2014 |
^^UA/??|5923  |DEN  |ISN  |22:00    |00:54+1  |        |ERJ      |        |

Powered by The Wandering Aramean Travel Tools. Click for your free account!

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.

sinoflyer May 12, 2014 5:26 pm

As much as I hate the E145, IAH-ISN appears to be an appropriate market for it. Forget about CASM, I'd like to see the RASM on that! :) Other than the CRJ, which imo is worse, I cannot think of another suitable aircraft short of connecting through somewhere else.

If UA continues to develop new markets with the E175, I will consider that as a Change That I Like. But really, they've also got to improve the soft product.

maduarte May 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Great on BDL-IAH! Other airlines have flights to their souther hubs (DL - ATL, AA - MIA). Hopefully they can increase frequency!

CaptainMiles May 12, 2014 7:02 pm

ERJ on the ISN route has two problems, depending on who the pax are.

If the pax are oil execs, they will not like the 3.5 hours in those torture seats and may just have the clout within their corporations to complain.

If the pax are oil field workers, carrying bags for a long stay and possibly heavy tools, they will not like the ensuing separation from bags or IDBs that will ensue due to weight restrictions. The max payload weight of an XR is 13027 lbs. That's only 260 lbs per pax, if 50 pax. If the have to load full fuel, max payload may be even lower. Good luck getting 50 of these pax and their bags on.

JOSECONLSCREW28 May 12, 2014 7:11 pm

IAH - BDL isn't a really a new route for Houston as CO flew that route with a 737. Not sure how long the service lasted though. So I would more call this a route resumption as a opposed to a new route.

Pingtung May 12, 2014 7:30 pm

That's quite a ways for an E-145 with no F. If they needed a CRJ-700, UA just freed one up from the IAD-COS route that is being discontinued after the summer season ;)

Good to hear BDL getting additional service and I might find myself on that service in the future.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles (Post 22853960)
ERJ on the ISN route has two problems, depending on who the pax are.

If the pax are oil execs, they will not like the 3.5 hours in those torture seats and may just have the clout within their corporations to complain.

If the pax are oil field workers, carrying bags for a long stay and possibly heavy tools, they will not like the ensuing separation from bags or IDBs that will ensue due to weight restrictions. The max payload weight of an XR is 13027 lbs. That's only 260 lbs per pax, if 50 pax. If the have to load full fuel, max payload may be even lower. Good luck getting 50 of these pax and their bags on.

Not many of the former. Most of the E&P clients are in Denver, Houston, Calgary, etc., so the execs/sales reps won't have to visit ISN too often. It'll mainly be field hands, supervisors, troubleshooters. Shouldn't be carrying too many tools, but these guys (on average) like to eat. There's no chicken fried steak too big. Could be some tech stops on occasion.

TennisNoob May 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Why wouldn't they fly the CRJ-700 w/ First Class?

EmailKid May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 22854007)
IAH - BDL isn't a really a new route for Houston as CO flew that route with a 737. Not sure how long the service lasted though.

Used to have more than one a day IIRC. Last I looked it was down to 1 daily 737, IIRC a couple or so years before leaving SkyTeam.