FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA crew luggage in overhead bins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1576381-ua-crew-luggage-overhead-bins.html)

Germanfflyer May 12, 2014 11:00 am

UA crew luggage in overhead bins

Hello,

I would like to ask the board about the behaviour of the flight crew on my recent flight in BF.
When I got to my seat the overhead bin was full due to the fact, that the flight crew had placed their personal roll-aboard carry on luggage into the bin of the BF cabin.
This lead to a shortage of overhead space in the BF cabin when asked about it the crew pointed out that the overhead bins are "shared" space and I had to find a place for my luggage........after some unsuccessful attempts in BF - I found an empty bin back in coach and asked again for the UA employee luggage to be moved to that cabin rather then me having to commute between cabins......only then they moved the luggage and made it VERY clear they are "doing me a favour" .

May I ask if this behaviour is standard procedure for UNITED crews +their luggage?

Do the company rules allow taking up the bins for paying passengers and not move it to empty bins?
Never had that issue on any other airline!:rolleyes:

Thank you!

mgcsinc May 12, 2014 11:02 am

What kind of plane was this on?

Germanfflyer May 12, 2014 11:14 am

777-200

Is there different policy's depending on the plane type?:eek::confused:

kenn0223 May 12, 2014 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer (Post 22851499)
777-200

Is there different policy's depending on the plane type?:eek::confused:

Yes, each plane has specific places for crew bags (and I believe it still varies based on what subsidiary the crew works for). On aircraft without sufficient closet space the only other option is overhead bins. IME, the bins allotted are those closest to where the FA's jumpseat is. Frankly, I'm surprised they moved it for you.

Germanfflyer May 12, 2014 11:24 am

Well the 777 BF overhead space is so small anyway!

So what's the deal on a 777?

warreng24 May 12, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer (Post 22851412)
May I ask if this behaviour is standard procedure for UNITED crews +their luggage?

Yes. This is especially true on the narrowbody fleet. UA management started by removing the closet space on the A320's when they started TED.

The crew's only option is to store their things in the overhead bin.

Closet space has been reduced on the widebody fleet as well, so you can expect to see more crew bags in the bins. It's unfortunate, but where do you expect the cabin crew to store their things?

uber1K_Flyer May 12, 2014 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 22851522)
Yes, each plane has specific places for crew bags (and I believe it still varies based on what subsidiary the crew works for). On aircraft without sufficient closet space the only other option is overhead bins. IME, the bins allotted are those closest to where the FA's jumpseat is. Frankly, I'm surprised they moved it for you.

Now that's pretty flier friendly! Further, if I've paid several thousand dollars for a flight, I'd be pretty pissed by this behavior - company sanctioned or not.

FriendlySkies May 12, 2014 12:27 pm

Had the same in Business on the 787 from NRT-DEN. I was able to get my rollarboard above my row, but most of the middle bins had already been filled, leading to a few pax having to store bags in the front Business cabin, or midway through E+.

Plane-is-home May 12, 2014 12:45 pm

It must be very crew attitude dependent. On the same aircraft type I'd say 1 out of 8 times I find the bins blocked by the crew.
Especially annoying when it happens in GF. Had that twice this year once on a 767 where they filled the bin above 1K, but left the bin above 2K (rest seat) empty; and once on a 777 above 1A and 2A (rest seat empty). Both times I asked them if they rather have me waking up a pilot in the middle of the night or they'd like to move their stuff. Once they did once they refused.

unavaca May 12, 2014 12:51 pm

My favorite was my Skywest FA putting his rollaboard in the area under the seat in front of 7A -- the bulkhead row on the CR7. :rolleyes:

I guess he was too good to gate check like the rest of us.

mikelcf May 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Its annoying and happens all the time to me that I will be in Row 1, and find that crew bags take up all of the overhead space directly above the seat. And often the other side is taken up by the oxygen equipment and also unavailable for stowage. If anything, I would think that the allotted space for the crew should either be (1) in the very rear of the plane, or (2) they should gate check their bags. I realize they need somewhere to put their bags, but they have to wait until all the passengers are off anyway, why do they need to put their bags in the first row where it creates problems for the F passengers?

restlessinRNO May 12, 2014 1:15 pm

One of the advantages of flying F or C should be that there is adequate overhead storage space for those pax, and that one should not have to line up and board first in order to have somewhere to place your luggage. Sadly this is not always the case.

EnvoyBoy May 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24 (Post 22851669)
Yes. This is especially true on the narrowbody fleet. UA management started by removing the closet space on the A320's when they started TED.

The crew's only option is to store their things in the overhead bin.

Closet space has been reduced on the widebody fleet as well, so you can expect to see more crew bags in the bins. It's unfortunate, but where do you expect the cabin crew to store their things?

Where pax are paying $500 and not $5,000.

Germanfflyer May 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Space for carry on is marketed as a BF benefit!

I do not care where they put their things - as long as it is not in the space that I or other passengers paid for!

airplanegod May 12, 2014 2:40 pm

"Overhead bin friendly"